Hit songs in unusual time signatures?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IHeartThe80s, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IHeartThe80s

IHeartThe80s Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was listening to the only album by the 90s group Mono and discovered the final track is in 5/4 time. Made me think of Dave Brubeck's Take Five, and was wondering if that was the only chart hit in an unusual time signature (also 5/4, of course)? I guess you'd throw in Dave's own Blue Rondo A La Turk, which is primarily in 9/8 (at least the main theme is).

Of course a number of Bacharach tunes are in tricky time signatures, but those are mostly standard time with a few unusual bars of 2/4 or 3/4 thrown in. Ditto Lennon compositions like Strawberry Fields Forever, with random bars included here and there, and prog-rock numbers like Yes' Roundabout, with the occasional off-time passage.

So what I'm thinking would be songs that :
    1) are predominantly in something other than standard time (2/4, 4/4, 8/8, etc.), and
    2) made the Billboard Hot 100 as singles. (Sorry, no Grateful Dead "The Eleven.")

(I'd also be curious as to any hits that were in true 3/4 waltz time, so uncommon in the rock era. Two I can think of, Friends and Time To Get Alone, both by the Beach Boys.)

2. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Jethro Tull's "Living In The Past" in 5/4 made the UK charts at least. Not sure how it went in the US.

3. IHeartThe80s

You're quick! I just checked the "quintuple meter" page on Wikipedia and that song jumped out. Very astute, and yes it was a fairly huge hit for JT over here as well.

4. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Turn It On Again by Genesis
    6/8 then 7/8 ... 5/4 4/4... something like this (???)

5. IHeartThe80s

A couple in 7/8 time: Grateful Dead's Estimated Prophet and Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill.

6. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

The 90s version of the Mission: Impossible theme (5/4 time) was a top ten hit.

Pink Floyd's Money (7/4 time) was a top twenty hit.

7. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

"All you need is love" has bars of 4/4 then 3/4, etc in the verses, IIRC.

--Geoff

theMess, MrBigShow and Sordel like this.
  8. "Fooling Yourself" by corporate rockers Styx was a Top 30 hit and has extended passages in 7/4 and 6/8.

Not sure how big a hit it was on the main chart, but "Spoonman" by Soundgarden was a hit on a couple of the more specialty charts and is mostly in 5/4.

"Golden Brown" by the Stranglers was a UK #1 in the early '80s and is made up of bars alternating between 6/8 and 7/8.

9. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

'If You've Gotta Make a Fool of Somebody' by Freddie and The Dreamers was a hit in Britain in '63, I think that may be in 3/4 but I haven't heard it in 40+ years. Rudy Clark wasn't it?

10. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

First one I though of! So annoying when you open up a thread to post and your 'clever suggestion' already occurred to someone else on the first page of the thread! :realmad:

timind likes this.
  11. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Yes it was. Ian Anderson said in the December issue of Uncut that he got a real kick watching American hippie audiences tryying to dance to it.

SirMarc, wayneklein and MrBigShow like this.
  12. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

More proof that, all things considered, Phil Collins was a fabulous rock drummer!

13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Two Beatles tunes in 3/4 waltz time. "Baby's In Black" and "And I Love Her"

MrBigShow likes this.
  14. violarules

violarules Senior Member

While playing "And I love her" in my head, it sounds like 4/4. But I'm not a Beatles fanatic, just a trained musician.. so what do I know? ;)

nikh33, jlf, 2141 and 3 others like this.
  15. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

It was in 13/4.

"Misunderstanding" was done in 12/8. It's weird time signatures like this why I love Genesis.

MrBigShow likes this.
  16. violarules

violarules Senior Member

9/8 is very much standard. You see it all the time, especially in Baroque music. Also know as compound triple meter. Nothing weird about it.

Farmer Mike, Oggy and MrBigShow like this.
  17. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

+ "I, Me, Mine"

theMess and MrBigShow like this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"And I Love Her" is in 4/4.

hugh . g., fluffskul, nikh33 and 2 others like this.
  19. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I was thinking about 9/8 the other day. Curtis Mayfield used this signature quite a bit with the Impressions. Both sides of the single "Fool For You" b/w "I'm Loving Nothing" are in 9/8.

20. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Huge numbers of doo-wop songs and soul/R&B ballads are in 9/8 and 12/8. The odd one achieves this through unusual additives, e.g. 5+4 or 2+3+2+2.

There are many pop-rock songs in weird additive meters (e.g., 11/8 or 13/4), but I don't think any of them achieves this through units other than 2, 3, and 4. We like to hear an accent at least every four beats in the west.

21. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Exactly, those would be odd iterations of 9/8 meter. The standard one is 3+3+3. If it's not that, then it is an odd meter.

22. throbbin tower

throbbin tower Forum Resident

The Bacharach/David penned "Anyone Who Had A Heart" :righton:

Shaddam IV likes this.
  23. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

"Here Comes The Sun" - I don't know what the time signature is, but I've heard interviews with Ringo, and also Dhani Harrison talking with George Martin mentioning about the Indian-based time signatures used.

Oops, not a single... but it should have been. :angel:

illwind64, Jarleboy, vonwegen and 2 others like this.
  24. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Senior Member

25. IHeartThe80s

This one may take the cake for "Hit song with the weirdest collection of time signatures ever." Wikipedia: Bacharach had finished the score which, in his words, "changes time signature constantly, 4/4 to 5/4, and a 7/8 bar at the end of the song on the turnaround. It wasn't intentional, it was all just natural. That's the way I felt it." This was the first use of polyrhythm in popular music.

Wikipedia also quotes Allmusic as saying the song goes from "5/4, 4/4, to 7/8 and resolving on 5/8 in only eight bars." However, that claim no longer exists on Allmusic's own site, so perhaps it's been rescinded for inaccuracy?

McLover and Shaddam IV like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.