Hitchcock Film By Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

This is a great film. I wish I could have seen it's initial screening back then when people thought it was going to be some sort of adventure/drama film.

Besides of course the shower scene, I think my favorite shot is the above camera angle when Norman bursts out of the room to kill the investigator and again as he is falling down the stairs.

Anthony Perkins was perfectly cast as he almost always IMHO seemed to have this "timidness" in his acting, like there was this underlying uncomfortableness or lack of confidence (for lack of a better term). This of personality of course was perfect to play Norman Bates and Perkins really did seem in his element.

The score of course as noted above is amazing.

2. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

Psycho

I have not seen all of Hitchcock's films but of the ones I have seen, Psycho is my favorite. It still holds up very well today. I cannot say that about all of them.

3. Psycho and "The Birds" were my first 2 Hitchcock movies I ever saw (in the late 60s, early 70s on BW TV) and will always have a special place in my heart.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Hitch originally prevented theaters from admitting people to the movie after it started, because the star of the move (Janet Leigh) is killed off in the first act. Unusual to have the hero die, or so early in the story. Many of us have only seen "Psycho" knowing in advance about the shower scene, so it isn't a surprise. First-time watchers today know what's coming when Janet Leigh starts preparing for a shower.

Did anyone see "Psycho" when it was first released -- was it a real shocker at the time to have the lead actress get killed right away?

Now that we are rolling into "Psycho", it would be too easy to point out the influences in Brain De Palma's films. However, I will say that when I first saw Brian De Palma's "Dressed To Kill", where he uses many of Hitch's tricks, I got caught off guard with the tricks. That is the only way I can imagine how audience members felt seeing "Psycho" upon its original release.

The shower scene is one where Hitch, the "Master of Suspense", uses surprise instead of suspense. He explains the difference in the interview book, "Hitchcock/Truffault".

[​IMG]

5. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

Psycho and The Birds were the last times Hitch made cinema history.
    I always thought it was staggering how well Psycho would work as a silent film. The photography and camera work are fantastic and the plot directions really innovative!
    Psycho is not my favorite Hitchcock but I believe it to be his best. Like in all of his other movies, you never believe for one second that you are watching real people there on screen and suddenly there is Norman Bates. The reality of this character is outstanding in Hitch's catalogue.
    It feels as if Hitchcock wanted to say: look, this is what is behind everything bad that ever happend in one of my movies. Norman Bates.

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Wow....I guess that since this is such an obscure little film we're getting a paucity of replies.

A few thoughts from yours truly:

1. As mentioned somewhere in the imdb trivia page for PSYCHO, there is a hotel in Fife, WA, just north of Tacoma, that changed its name to THE BATES MOTEL, apparently because the owner is a big horror film fan. The last time I drove by, I noticed that he had added the word "NORMAN" to the sign in small-ish print. (This hotel, by the way, is on the former Pacific Highway, which used to run all the way to Mexico, and the car lot where Marion buys the car in the movie was on the Pacific Highway around Los Angeles.)

2. I've always felt that PSYCHO was a point of demarkation for Hitch's films. Prior to this, shock was rarely a factor in his films, at least visually. I would contend that from this point on, his better films were ones that featured shock elements, picking up points for their ability to really grab an audience, but also losing points for having to rely on tools that can potentially come across as cheap or tawdry..

3. IIRC, the psycho house was also used in the excellent AN UNLOCKED WINDOW episode of THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR. It's an odd decision, as the house was (to many film fans) quite recognizable due to the success a few years earlier of PSYCHO.

4. For years, I knew this film only as a Universal title. Around 1984, I finally got around to taping a broadcast of the film, and the WTBS broadcast had the Paramount logo on the front, which I think had been replaced with the Universal logo on most TV prints/videos.

5. As a kid, when I first saw Vera Miles turn that chair around to reveal "mother" in all her glory, I just about dropped a load right then and there, if you know what I mean.

6. Great string music, like Elgar on PCP.

7. Does anybody know if the score was recorded in 3-track, as was the case with Vertigo? Has the original recording ever been released in stereo?

8. I like how the skull of mother is superimposed onto Norman's face at the end, and how the chain seems to be pulling something right out of his inner being. A very cool shot.

Overall, a masterpiece of pacing and character, still quite scary to this day, unlike many "fright films" of the time period. Worthy of many multiple viewings, IMO, and Hitch's last real masterpiece of a film.

7. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I originally saw this movie probably in the early 1970's as a kid. Local tv stations used to always show 'horror' films late at night and I saw it then. What I really remembered from that viewing were the end scenes where the investigator gets killed on the stairs and 'mother' is found in the basement. Both scared the bejesus out of me. I must have missed the shower scene because I have no memory of it during this viewing. The funny thing is that I didn't realize it was Psycho or that it was a Hitchcock film when I saw it. Those scenes stayed with me however and it wasn't until many years later (early 80's) I was watching it and everything fell into place for me and I realized those scenes were from a true classic.

It also took me many years to realize that Jamie Lee Curtis (Halloween fame), the queen of horror, was Janet Leigh's daughter.

Psycho gets shown every Halloween at my house.

8. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I recently saw "A Touch of Evil" for the first time, I'm surprised that Janet went to another hotel after that... :)

9. "Touch of Evil" was an influence on "Psycho". If you watch the film Dennis Weaver plays a character that could be an older version of Norman Bates (minus the killer instinct) and Leigh is put in peril much as she was in "Psycho". What's interesting is that I believe a lot of people miss the point that Hitchcock used knowledge of "Touch of Evil" to his advantage with "Psycho". In the former film while Leigh is threatened, she isn't killed. That may have played to audience expectations given that "Touch of Evil" was prepped and shooting began the year before "Psycho" (but released in 1960).

Clearly Hitchcock also was influenced by "Diabolique" which was released before "Psycho" (Joseph Stefano and Hitchcock both watched "Diabolique" a number of times prior to making "Psycho"). Stefano was the third known screenwriter that worked on "Psycho" and he brought the most to the table; he was currently under going psychoanalysis and brought that experience to the table.

Likewise, Stefano suggested to Hitchcock that they show the toilet in the movie because he felt it would unnerve the audience (the bathroom was off limits when it came to bodily functions at the time).

Hitchcock relished the idea although he knew he would have to fight for it and used an overhead shot of a "nude" (well, she was wearing a mole skin outfit) Janet Leigh slumped in the shower after the murder but prior to the slow dissolve from her eye to the drain (which was actually a still image --because Alma though she saw Leigh's eye move slightly--printed on the optical printer).

just a thought--Hitchcock had worked with many stars in the industry and all were for the most part his peers in terms of age, experience, etc. With "Psycho" and every succeeding film he worked with actors and other crew members that largely considered him a "giant" in the industry--a legend--and it leads me to wonder if that shift from talented filmmaker to "legend" damaged his later films since he often didn't have any of the his earliest collaborators outside of Alma contributing (and she couldn't contribute much after her massive stroke).

I suspect that Hitchcock who found himself suddenly revered began to believe his decisions couldn't be wrong and that prevented him from being second guessed by everyone except the studio suits (for example Hitchcock's decision to replace Bernard Herrmann's score for "Torn Curtain" for something catchy was a mistake that damaged a film that suffered other short comings as well). Once Hitchcock was no longer surrounded by collaborators who might be seen as peers that's when his art began to suffer.

He also got caught in a generational tidal wave that washed over him and made his work seem less relevent to many people (although we know this wasn't true)--he was hugely influential and there was a generation of filmmakers following in his footsteps. That along with the European film directors who were allowed more freedom than Hitchcock was in making films without interference from the suits may have hobbled his film career towards the end of his life.

Add in that along with his late life ailments and studio/audience expectations as to what a Hitchcock film SHOULD be (if you look at his career historically while the same themes do crop up throughout his work he alters his style with time, experience and the material at hand) and you have a director that was wandering in a motel so-to-speak with his baggage and no where to settle for the night (if you'll pardon the metaphor).

"Frenzy" captured Hitchcock revitalized--whether or not you like the film it was a bold, daring movie for a man in his 70's and not something that you'd expect (much like John Huston's "Wise Blood") from a director in the fifth decade of his carreer.

"Psycho" likewise found Hitchcock wanting to try something new and daring even if it was at the time a "run for cover" project because the other more involved projects he wanted to tackle were grounded. I suspect that his affection for the material itself allowed him to do something like "The Lodger" (a project that he had proposed as a remake for some time as a "talkie") and get it out of his system.

10. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Silly, I guess, but I still find it very hard to watch Marion Crane's life end so shockingly halfway through the film (or is it more like one third)? I still think sometimes about what might have happened had she lived, as if she were a real person. That's the power that Hitchcock, the writers, set designers, and of course the actors and actresses brought to some of his great movies--characters that you care about.

It's strange how you start first identifying with her, as she commits what really is a substantial crime. Back in 1960 you could buy a mansion in many places for the $40,000 she stole. I think middle class to lower middle class people like teachers made only $6000 or so a year back then. Anyway, you identify with her and you don't want her to be caught. And you see her turning around things in her mind and deciding to return it.

Then, of course, in an infinitely more creepy way the viewer identifies a bit with Norman. When I saw it the first time and the car didn't sink for a few seconds--I thought "oh no!!" Then I was like, wait, why am I thinking that?

Why does Marion die? I mean I know that without that there's no movie. But sometimes in horror movies when people die isn't there sometimes a reason. I don't really watch slasher films (of which this is the great grandmother, I guess), but I've heard that the woman who sleeps around sometimes goes first, while the innocent one battles to the end with the evil and is sometimes triumphant.

In this case, Marion, as sympathetic as she is, is a somewhat scandalous woman. She's with someone who is not her husband, and she's more undressed that most women were in a movie in 1960. Plus she's stolen the money. This is maybe part of why she dies, even though clearly she's decided to try and redeem herself.

Great posts by Matt, wayneklein, turnaround, the panda and others on this film. I've learned some things and it's deepened my understanding of the film.

11. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Of all the reasons you state for Hitchcock's struggle for cinematic relevancy after Psycho, that's the one that makes the strongest sense to me, even if it could be argued very well that Psycho and The Birds were critical parts of that wave.

Hitchcock's classic style of filmmaking, which he departed from famously in Psycho and The Birds and a few times before that (like The Wrong Man) to lesser effect, was to present a film as a piece of entertainment, where we knew the actors were acting, the settings were film sets, etc., much the way you would take in drama in a theater, which was Hitchcock's upbringing.

After a few decades of filmmaking like Hitchcock's, the cinema verite movement took off, and people (especially those writing for influential film journals) began rejecting the artificiality incarnate with older films. Ford, Sirk, Hawks, Capra, et al began being seen by the early 1960s as guys who didn't get it. Films were tough, slices of life, with real-looking people who talked like you and me. Eventually the pendulum swung back, and by the mid-1970s and 1980s artifice was back in (though not without casualties - witness the demise of musicals and lighter cowboy films). But that decade when it was out also saw Hitch at a painful crossroads, his creative and romantic partner hobbled, his own age a factor, and a creative community he no longer saw eye to eye with.

Yes, he also had the misfortune of choosing bad scripts, and not impressing himself enough in their production. But he also was dealing with a wave, like you say; one ironically he did a great deal to nurture and develop.

12. MLutthans

North by Northwest (1959)

Working backwards, we get to one of my wife's all-time favorite movies, 1959's NORTH BY NORTHWEST. This was the last in a series of Hitch films shot in VistaVision, which provides a larger negative and, coupled (originally) with the IB tech printing process, a very fine looking 35mm reduction print. If you've ever seen a mint-condition VistaVision print, you know that the quality that could be achieved, even though the print is a standard "flat widescreen" 35mm print (1.85 aspect ratio), is quite impressive. Clearly, Hitch liked this system, as he dragged it with him when he went to MGM for this film. (VistaVision's primary advocate/user was Paramount.)

Many view Psycho as a turning point for Hitch, so I suppose it could be argued that NxNW is the last "old school" Hitchcock film, and it certainly seems to have the master working on all cylinders, and once again (for the final time) working with the uber-suave great Cary Grant. Eva Marie Saint looks delicious in a role that always makes me wonder if maybe Hitch was thinking about Grace Kelly when the role was devised. I think Ms. Kelly certainly would have done a fine job, but Eva is the one who got the role, and she does just fine, thank you, and looks gorgeous. James Mason just oozes ego and stuffiness and, well, "James-Mason-ness." Much of the film is played "lightly," but with that cast, who cares? To me, it all works, and I don't tire of this film. There is much to see (cinematography by the great Robert Burks, titles by Saul Bass) and hear (script by Ernest Lehman and music by Bernard Hermann), and some fantastically memorable scenes such as the gunplay on/around Mt. Rushmore, and the infamous scene involving an oil truck and a crop duster in the middle of nowhere.

The dialogue is crisp and witty -- some very fine, bubbly writing here by Lehman and Hitchcock, IMO, along a similar vein as REAR WINDOW to my ear.

...and of course there is the kid who covers his ears BEFORE the gunshot at the Mt. Rushmore visitors center, and the train-as-phallic-symbol shot that closes the film. My favorite shot in the whole thing? The shot that turns and looks out the train window at the sunset, with the train on one side of the screen, sunset on the other. I also like some of the shots of that house toward the end (what a GREAT looking house!), and I love how the opening credits gradually fade from being fully animated to being a mixture of animation, photography, and text, to being just photography and text, while maintaining the geometry of the animated shots. It's all very well done. As with Vertigo, there is some very effective use of color here, particular as it mixes with grays.

If you do happen to catch this in the theatre in the "new 35mm print" that has made the rounds over the last few years, don't expect much in terms of picture quality. From what my eyes tell me, the print was made from dupe materials, then cleaned up "post-film" to make a sparkling-looking dvd. From what I can tell, this film, along with its studio-mate BEN HUR, is in dire need of an all-out restoration to the film elements, and I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. (On the other hand, if Warner's "new print" of THE SEARCHERS ever hits town, prepare to be wowed in a big way. This is how NxNW -- or any VistaVision print -- *should* look.)

Sadly, VistaVision is the one large-negative film format of the 1950s that did not have a practical provision for stereophonic/surround sound, so once again we have mono sound, but it's quite nice. (I don't own the dvd -- has it been remixed for stereo???) Within a year, Paramount (home of 1960's, already-discussed-here film PSYCHO) would officially make the switch to Technirama, which was primarily aimed at 70mm "road show" productions, leaving VistaVision to wither on the vine, and leaving Hitch to shoot in good ol' spherical 35mm from 1960 onward. NxNW, then, is Hitch's last, best-looking film, from a photographic standpoint.

In my mind, a great, fun film.

Discuss!

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The precursor to Bond!

Almost from start to finish action. Cary could do roles like this in his sleep. Great performances from James Mason and Landau (the character's gay?), and (possibly) Hitch's fave character actor, Leo g Carroll, later Mr Waverly. Great opening titles.

I have great respect for scenes with very little dialogue, like the opening of Once Upon a Time in the West. The crop dusting sequence is like that--just a series of well thought out shots placed on top of each other to have a fantastic total effect. Hardly any dialogue except the understated threat of 'that plane's dustin' where there ain't no crops'. I wince at the end when Cary is almost hit by the truck--just not very realistic. (can you spot the wheel prints of the dollies in the dirt of the fields?)

I think Eva's good, but I can't go with the people who think she ranks with Ingrid and Grace as his best blondes. Yea, I'd agree that the witty dialogue echoes Rear Window, good point.

I have a vague memory of seeing a 'movie makers' trailor about NxNW that showed them shooting some of the crop sequence....or am I imagining things?

All in all, a classic film from the master. I'll always give it a view if I see it on and enjoy it for the fun and the techical skill.

14. wave

wave Forum Resident

That was always my read on it. What's the line, "My woman's intuition, if you will"? I'm sure homosexuality will be coming up again when we get to Rope...

I also love James Mason in North by Northwest. Great villian and equally as suave as Cary Grant. I actually wish he did more with Hitchcock.

A couple of great cuts, too, in NxNW: The train entering the tunnel (some obvious innuendo there) and the hand reach that goes from Mount Rushmore to the cabin bunk.

15. MLutthans

I see that it was remixed for DVD. Can anybody comment? (I don't have the DVD.)

16. MLutthans

Eva Marie Saint and James Mason admiring (posing with) the IstaVision camera. (Lifted from my friend Marty's site, widescreenmuseum.com)

Attached Files:

17. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

1. The homosexuality of Landau's character is not just one line he offers, but his whole manner of barely concealed jealousy for the Eva character as the object of James Mason's eye. It's like a Burns-Smithers thing between the flunky and the boss.

2. I think you can almost imagine Carroll is playing Waverly in this role. He's based in Manhattan, outside the U.N. building no less, and playing with people's lives from a safe distance. All we need is Napoleon and Illya in the background, and we're at U.N.C.L.E.

18. wave

wave Forum Resident

Classic opening title/credits sequence:

Attached Files:

19. Landau certainly thought so. I think Hitchcock intended that to be the case with his character being "gay".

"North by Northwest" was a return to the wrong man theme but the key crop dusting scene was borrowed from one of the novels by the author of The 39 Steps that had always appealed and captured Hitchcock's attention.

Is it logical? No. It's a brilliant sequence though and as Hitch realized no one would ever question it because they were caught in the moment.

Saul Bass' opening titles are brilliantly conceived. Interestingly, the character that plays Grant's mother Jessie Royce Landis was 8 years older than Grant.

MGM wanted Gregory Peck for the role and Jimmy Stewart wanted to play the role but Hitchcock knew that both were wrong for the role. Hitch would discuss plot points of "North by Northwest" with Stewart and Stewart assumed that Hitchcock was going to cast him in the role. Hitch put off production long enough so that Stewart was busy shooting "Anatomy of a Murder" so he wouldn't have to say no to his old friend.

The film was inspired by a real event called Operation Mincemeat where the British used a random body with a fake identity, papers and plans to lure Italian and German troops from Sicily. Hitchcock used this story to build the premise of "North by Northwest".

Hitchcock was originally supposed to be working on "The Wreck of the Mary Deare" and pitched the idea to Ernest Lehman to write it. Lehman wasn't interested in "Wreck" but Hitch wanted to work with him so much that he pitched "North".

The O in Roger O. Thornhill which means "nothing" was inspired by David O. Selznick's middle initial which, likewise, meant nothing.

Hitchcock had been planning a scene for years where we follow the manufacture of an automobile and after the car is manufactured the door opens and a body falls out. Hitch and Lehman couldn't figure out how to integrate the scene into the film convincingly.

Landau was nervous that he was doing a bad job on the film because Hitch didn't speak to him and give him direction in the film. Hitch pointed out to him that if he was doing something wrong he WOULD tell him. He was very happy with his performance.

Yul Brynner was considered for the role of Vandamm at one point.

The best part of reading about this film was finding out that Cary Grant would charge fans 15 cents for every autograph--I find it funny that a man as wealthy as Grant would do so.

Rumour has it that someone in the story department came up with the title but Hitchcock knew his Shakespheare and it wasn't the first time that he had used the Bard for a title. He did name the airline in the film Northwest as an internal visual pun on the title. He had the title in mind all along even when it was originally called "In a Northwesterly Direction".

20. MLutthans

Right around this same time (November or so of 1958), Hitch was also working on NO BAIL FOR THE JUDGE, which was even advertised by Paramount as a forthcoming VistaVision production. (Again, credit to widescreenmuseum.com)

Attached Files:

21. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

North by Northwest is my favorite film (not just of Hitch, but overall). There is just so many great elements to it. Several others of his films that are favorites as well, but to me this is how a popcorn type of movie can be incredible (like one of my other all time favorites, Raiders of the Lost Ark).

From the opening credits until the end ones, it's non stop. Many great points have already been commented on, so I'll leave it at that for now.

22. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Fascinating to look at all the projects Hitchcock had in development in the 1950s, but never got to. Wreck Of The Mary Deare was another he had going at the same time, which he passed on to do North By Northwest. It was made with Gary Cooper and Charlton Heston, two actors who would have made for interesting Hitchcock collaborators.

Considering Hitch made 11 movies in the 1950s, it's pretty impressive how much energy he had at a time he was in his own 50s.

23. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

In watching a bit of NORTH BY NORTHWEST this morning, I thought I'd mention two little items.

One is that Doreen Lang, the frightened mother in THE BIRDS, and the frightened office-worker in THE WRONG MAN, once again shows up in a Hitch film, here as Maggie, secretary to Roger Thornhill. Looking on IMDB, I see that Ms. Lang was also in a television episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, as well as one of my favorite episodes of THE FUGITIVE, "Nightmare At Northoak".

The other item is just a little unexplained oddity. In the scene in the Plaza restaurant in the beginning. When Cary Grant is greeted by the three businessmen, watch the one on the left. He's either hard of hearing, or playing hard of hearing. He places his hand up to his ear several times in the scene. Knowing that few minor details ever escaped Hitch, I have to assume this was intentional, but cannot imagine why.

Harry

24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It generally sounds quite good. The MGM/Turner laserdisc had stereo music for the opening titles and was mono for the rest of the film. I do not think they had everything they needed to make the remix "easy" (i.e. isolated dialog, music, and effects for all reels), but they did a good job with what they had.

Regards,

25. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

That's a classic misdirection ploy. When you watch the film the first time, you notice the guy and expect a plot point of some kind to develop from it. It keeps you off-guard, not knowing quite what to expect even if you have read a review or talked to a friend who saw the movie. Once the scene moves on, you dismiss and forget it. But Hitchcock's decision to incorporate it was quite deliberate.

It would be very interesting to collect other such misdirection plays, big and small, in other Hitchcock films, things that generate interest and suspicion while you watch them but which turn out to be red herrings, like the guy in the diner who says "We're doomed" in The Birds or "Carlotta" disappearing in the apartment house in Vertigo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.