Hitchcock's "The Birds" WHY Did They Attack?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by gener8tr, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member Thread Starter

What's your theory?

I have one... The incestual relationship between Mitch and Melanie.

Yes, I said it. Melanie's incredibly strong resemblance to Lydia is not a coincidence in my opinion.

More to come if the thread gets legs...

2. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

global warming

:sigh:

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Because the bird wranglers and animators made them do it.

Hmm? This may be one of those posts where my lack of ability to grasp dramatic abstraction is working against me. ;)

Regards,

4. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

In the Truffaut book [IIRC], Hitchcock states that he deliberately did not provide a specific reason as to why the birds attack.

My own theories are that the birds represent either the randomness of unexpected and sudden evil or natural catastrophe in our lives; or a plague or punishment from God, especially in retribution for some sin or unfaithfulness.

DavidW likes this.
  5. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The film is based on a book by Daphne du Maurier. I've never read it, though, so I'm not certain whther it provides a reason for their attacks.

6. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

My dilettantish take has always been that's all about sex.

Everything in Mitch's town was proper and reserved. His relationships w/ his mother, sister, and the teacher all had defined boundaries that everyone understood. Along came Melanie, who represented a free sexuality, and she unwittingly unleashed the raw, elemental forces of the jealousy and condemnation from Mitch's relationships, in the form of the birds.

It was only when Melanie became essentially catatonic, her spirit crushed, after she was attacked, that the birds became docile at the end.

Doug

skybluestoday likes this.
  7. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

The Birds

The "why did they attack" question has always been a great mystery. I like how Hitchcock left this question open instead of making up a reason. So many horror movies go wrong when they contrive reasons such as meteorites, mad scientist experiments gone wrong or nuclear contamination.

As usual, Hitchcock gets it right.

Scott

8. I think you nailed it Doug.

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Mitch resolves his oedipal complex by finding an un-related woman to take the place of his mother. Does Freud say that is wrong?

If Mitch and Melanie are meant to be punished, the story would resolve with the wrong-doers being punished. Instead, the attacks spread to neighboring towns while Mitch, his mother and Melanie survive and head off into the sunset together. That does not jive with a morality tale.

If anything is to be made on this point, "Mitch" represents Hitch, trying replace his lost Grace Kelly with a lookalike Tippi Hedren. :winkgrin:

[​IMG]

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The birds attack because if they didn't, they wouldn't have much of a movie. Same reason the shark attacks in "Jaws"...

Dudley Morris likes this.
  11. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

McGuffin

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  12. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

And the attacks inexplicibly end as suddenly as they began.

13. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I didn't know the birds were McGuffins.

If the movie was made today they would just have the birds rest for the sequel.

14. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

There are some good reasons here already. I don't think there is one explanation. But I think that once Hitchcock said something like humans abuse animals and nature all the time. What if at some point nature struck back?

The movie is an over the top examination of something that does once in a while happen in real life. Birds can get confused or diseased and attack once in a while. I think I read that Hitch found a few newspaper clippings about this happening.

15. Oatsdad

Yeah, I wouldn't call the birds - or the shark in "Jaws" - MacGuffins. (Gotta go with the "MacGuffin" instead of "McGuffin" - otherwise it's too easy to move to "McMuffin"!) I think MacGuffins are generally incidental except as motivators to the plot, while the birds and the shark had a lot to do in those movies...

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The birds are not MacGuffins. A MacGuffin is an object that everyone in a story is chasing after, but whose actual content or purpose isn't really important to the story.

I'd like to know why a bird attacked me three times the other day while I was walking my dog. It was just like a scene from the movie! I looked around to see if there were any more perched on wires, glaring at me.

17. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Agree with Squealy and Oats--the birds are not MacGuffins, they are something else. They are almost anti-MacGuffins.

In Spoto's biography he goes rather over the top in giving the birds a sexual reading. He may be onto something, but I think he takes it way too far.

Being attacked by a bird is a horrid and frightening thing. Hitch had been making money off of creating tension and scaring people for 40 years at that point. To some degree his personality was shaped by that success, I would imagine.

18. Oatsdad

"In TV interviews, Hitchcock defined a MacGuffin as the object around which the plot revolves, but, as to what that object specifically is, he declared, 'the audience don't care.'"

If we take that definition as correct, the birds certainly aren't MacGuffins because the audience DOES care. Lots of people are afraid of birds, so their presence adds to the scare factor in the film...

19. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

The Daphne du Maurier short story on which the movie was based provides no explanation whatsoever as to the reason for the bird attacks.

JimC and Vidiot like this.
  20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

And the characters are not going around looking for birds -- they are being besieged by them!

The Maltese Falcon is a bird-shaped MacGuffin.

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hitchcock's "The Birds" WHY Did They Attack?

Of course they attacked. They were the stars of the movie and Universal was paying them chicken feed.

22. Oatsdad

Ha ha ha - ugh...

23. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

"The Birds" is not a conventional 'quest' or 'journey' oriented Hitchock film. The object of the characters' actions is merely to survive, to fight off or outlast the bird attacks. The reason as to what brought on the birds attacks is never explained. It is something that propels the action but it [the birds' purpose in attacking] is not necessarily identifiable. So in that context, the reaon why the birds attack is a MacGuffin - not the birds themselves.

24. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Their agent told them that as mere extras, they would not receive screen credit, but if they "did something to garner attention for themselves," they might get on the title card.

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

On the contrary, I'm told that only some birds received chicken feed. The pigeons and crows were only getting pigeon feed which resulted in a class action caw-suit. [I responded to your conventionally bad joke disproportionately with a nuclear bad pun.]

Trying to seriously address the initial question. Since the cause is deliberately never explained, any explanation offered up by a viewer is more or less a glimpse into their own psyche. Personally, I think the birds attacked because of the shortage of sunshine and lollipops in the candy cane forest and they stopped when multi-hued jelly beans began sprouting from the ground.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.