Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Khorn, Apr 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I really liked this series and want to buy the 2 DVD set. Is anyone here familiar with this show and have the DVDs?

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I have the LD, but I probably would get the DVDs at some point. The LDs have a nice, clean image, so the DVDs should be pretty nice too.

On a scale from 1 to 50, I'd say they rate..................."42"! :D

3. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Khorn,

I read the books and they are brilliant. Funny that the ultimate punishment is total insight.

John

4. cunningham

cunningham Forum Resident

i picked up the dvd's. I had recorded the series on beta years ago. The Dvd's did the same thing i did when i recorded the series, they kept each intro! So you have a new show into every thirty minutes.... Besides that, the quality is good. A fine series.

5. ratskrad

ratskrad Senior Member

Ya I have it copied from tv on VHS and picked up the DVD's a couple of months ago. I have had a couple of showings here at home and I get the strangest looks from my kids when they walk by. Worth owning if you are a fan.

6. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I really enjoyed it when it came on the radio, but somehow the TV series left me cold.

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I thought a neat bonus would have been the complete radio show. Is it "available" in the "non-bootlegged off of radio" sense?

8. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

9. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

That's a great link Andrew!

Back in 1992, I brought a cd box set of the entire radio series. I guess that's oop. I picked it up at Tower when I lived in London. I bet it can be tracked down on Ebay or other sources. It sounds fantastic and it's at least red book quality. I also have all the edited vinyl versions that were released in the 80's. I love that show! In honesty, I've always enjoyed the original radio broadcasts better than the latter TV series...

Todd

10. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

11. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

The set I brought in the early 90's has 6 CD's in a nice slip case. The CD's have different colored spines (a shiny foil).

The Collector's Set looks very nice, especially for the bonus behind the scenes stuff.

It's such a shame Douglas Adams passed away. He was so young...

Todd

12. RDK

RDK Active Member

"Bootlegged off the radio?"

Well, if that's what you call it when a kid records it on his little Teac cassette recorder when it first aired on a local sci-fi radio program called "Hour 25" back around 1980 or so! ;)

The original radio series is still the best way to hear this wonderful show imho.

Ray

13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Well, yes. Although, in my case, it was a wretched little Sansui or Sanyo cassette deck, and it was off of college radio a few years down the line from 1980. I missed one installment, and another was a fairly faithful recording of fairly poor reception. I have nothing against the UK, but I'd like to be able to find a nice complete CD copy here in the states, and the BBC's link to their American site wasn't working yesterday. I'll keep searching though.

14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Well, the link's working now, but they've only got the DVD/VHS sets. Perhaps I'll just shush-up and order it from the United Kingdom.

15. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

I love the DVDs. Got them in a plastic box which looks like the protecting box for the hitch hiker's guide itself. There is a writing in big, nice and friendly letters on it: DON'T PANIC!
    And thanks to the DVDs I can finally have a closer look at these great computer graphics like the babel fish and other curiosities...
    Thomas

16. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Great, I've just ordered it along with the 'Rumpole' box and a couple of 'Miss Marple' sets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.