HMV Canada to close all 102 stores April 30 (Sunrise to take over approx 70 HMV stores)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eddiel, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

That’s an average of under 7000 units per store. Hope they’re selling lots of games and blu-rays....

dennis the menace and nosliw like this.
  2. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Noticed today the Sunrise in the Rideau Centre has closed, they had a notice in the window that they are moving into another, much smaller, unit “in February”. Passed the new unit but no work appears to have been started on it.

3. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

The Square One location has closed. Apparently it was due to the mall giving the space to another store.

They are going to open a location at Scarborough Town Centre.

4. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Carrefour Laval store looks closed.

Renovations or close out? No hint.

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Unfortunately, after 25+ years, this store is now phasing out their stamp card program. Apparently the reason is due to the recent increase in minimum wage, and the financial concerns it has created. Sounds like a lot of nonsense to me, and think the store is ultimately going to suffer because of this decision. :sigh:

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Used CDs spotted and the Metrotown "Vancouver" location, though selection is obviously baby steps. Also a small section for local artist CDs that I hadn't seen elsewhere.

The 2 for 20 Blu-ray section does actually have some really cool titles.

7. SoundAdvice

RECORD STORE DAY - Store

Most/All the Sunrise locations across Canada seem to be listed in the Record Store Day website. Nothing announced on any Sunrise social media.

In 2011 RSD had the following rules, though they bent them a bit for Bull Moose.

Are any big chains or box stores participating?
    No, it's only indies by our rule set -- 70% of the ownership must be in the same state that the store resides in, it follows the same rules ABA booksellers go by. We have networks of stores like the Music Monitor with stores like Gallery of Sound and Bull Moose, but they're all independently owned.

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Sunrise Fairview Mall is closed, stock has been cleared out, the sign on the door claims they'll be back July 2018.

9. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

They only have the 80 stores across Canada so obviously they aren’t a major chain:rolleyes:

They are one of the major reasons why a few Canadian independent stores no longer participate in RSD.

nosliw likes this.
  10. SoundAdvice

Sunrise I went to still had 20-25 titles including a couple that are sold out elsewhere. They were not much busier on that day in Vancouver according to the store manager.

Vancouver-Metrotown location is also doing a BC exclusive trial run with Criterion Blu-rays. About 40 wisely chosen titles on a prominent end cap priced at $35 and $40. Some of the biggest stores in other provinces might be doing the same.

Used LP and CD section still puny. Maybe 150 of each.

Brenald79 likes this.
  11. Norco74

Finally went back to th Carrefour Laval store. They reopened in a new section with a sized down store. A way better than before. Prices are still too high compare to other indie shops.

nosliw and Tornado Red like this.
  12. Though not all of those stores were open for all of 2017, many opened throughout the year (my local one opened around April/May 2017).

13. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

I've wandered through the 2 Winnipeg stores, not much of interest to me. Looking for anything MC: DVD-A, BD-A or SACD. Nothing other than the very odd DVD-A that may be included with a CD. Also I was told they won't be carrying anything like that. Fair enough, I'm surely in the minority seeking surround shiny discs. Also have an interest of late in 4K movie releases, but their prices are off the charts high. Since I don't collect vinyl, I can't attest to their sales...but not many people there when I go in it seems, so I still don't get how this business model is going to work long term over HMV's. :shrug:

14. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I was a fan of Sunrise when I stumbled across one in August 2017. Picked up Big Star - Radio City. Had a very nice vinyl selection.

15. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

The Eaton Centre in downtown Montreal is being enlarged with a 2020 completion date. Wonder if it will include a Sunrise. From what I'm reading here now, probably not.

dennis the menace likes this.
  16. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Not that there`s no market for a record store downtown Montréal. There`s none since HMV closed a year ago except for Archambault in the Complexe Desjardins...hardly a record store.

17. Don't forget Cheap Thrills! It's small, but it's good.

18. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Archambault is actually in Place des Arts, but there's the bigger flagship store at Ste. Catherine East and Berri with an excellent selection, except that many items are very pricey. The above-mentioned Cheap Thrills is indeed another very good choice. A truly excellent store with great used and new CDs and loads of rare vinyl is Beatnick at St. Denis and Pine Avenue. Just to add, the flagship Archambault reminds me of the late and lamented J & R Music in New York with its several sections, including musical instruments.

dennis the menace and Pouchkine like this.
  19. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I don't know if you've been by Archambault at Berri recently, but it's been condensed yet again.
    I was just there a couple of weeks ago.
    It seem that about a month ago, they catcalls moves out from the corner entrance and are no only accessible by the entrance about twenty feet east. Everything is packed in tight, and the staff seem pretty bummed out.
    It's pretty demoralizing.

dennis the menace likes this.
  20. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I have, but I was under the impression it was being renovated and improved, as many places in Montreal are, such as the above-mentioned Eaton Centre. At least they're not closing like J & R in NYC— I loved that place.

Pouchkine likes this.
  21. SoundAdvice

Sunrise doesn't think stores in downtown Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver are worth the rent/long term leases. One of the mistakes by HMV Canada they are avoiding.

22. Norco74

Was that really a mistake from HMV? The Montreal on Peel was quite something to die for at one point.

Archambault which is now owned by Renaud-Bray is on the other hand selling everything and nothing, from pianos to fridge magnets. :shrug:

Joel1963 and Pouchkine like this.
  23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Do you think there's any other locations in Vancouver besides downtown with lower rent that could work?

24. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

You are paying for the convenience of mall shopping. Do you think indies pay the same rent?

The choice is yours, but sometimes I am ok with a stop at a nearby mall, as opposed to a long commute to an indie shop. Beats weekend traffic on the 40 to get downtown, etc.

Curious, are there any indie shops in Laval ?

Joel1963 likes this.
  25. SoundAdvice

Vancouver has some of the least affordable rent in all of North America. Some polls put it above Manhattan and San Francisco.

Metrotown is very transit friendly with Skytrain.

Brenald79 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.