HMV Canada to close all 102 stores April 30 (Sunrise to take over approx 70 HMV stores)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eddiel, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

...and that is why I am always coming out empty handed from this store!

L’Indicatif is the only indie shop I know in Laval. I pay them a visit on a 3 months basis. Not the goldmine you would except!
    Google Maps

2. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Not to my knowledge. I used to live there, but passing through on several occasions, haven't seen anything. Back in the 1990s, I bought one of my favorite cassettes at an indie store that no longer exists — the first U.S. Hot Chocolate greatest hits collection.

3. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Believe me, Beatnick in Montreal is a goldmine!

4. I just went there. Can't believe how much they blow! About 1500 (overpriced) used LPs all classified alphabetically (first letter only)... but all genres mixed up INCLUDING the thrift store level c&%p... And the new LPs... $40 (+/-) for a stereo - single LP - Beatles... I'll never set foot there again, unless I was told they've changed their thing radically!

Pouchkine and Norco74 like this.
  5. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

6. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

8. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Saw this at the Mississauga Erin mills Town Centre today.
    Turns out that tonight will their opening day

[​IMG]

Sean likes this.
  9. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

10. The Sunrise in Kelowna is a little weird. They never got a single copy of Springsteen's latest for example. Their box set prices are flat out insane. I want to support them because I quite enjoy wandering around a record store but they aren't making it easy.

steviej, Pouchkine and Blair G. like this.
  11. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

I check out a couple we have in Winnipeg every so often, and I still don't see how this business model works where it failed with HMV. New movies and music prices are higher than anyone around, certainly higher than HMV prices were. The only thing I see is they carry considerably more vinyl than HMV did, is that enough to make this viable?

Pouchkine likes this.
  12. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

I had to ask for the latest Springsteen at the Surrey BC store. It was still in the back in a box.

kevywevy likes this.
  13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Lower debt/flagship overhead, more new/used vinyl sales and maybe HMV had to pay upfront for all stock when Sunrise does not.

I was surprised when a Sunrise guy told me they sold 200 used LPs over a recent weekend at one location.

Tornado Red likes this.
  14. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Know what you mean.
    The selection is weird, in a good way, and I always try and buy something every time I’m in the store

John B Good likes this.
  15. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

I was in there once in January 2004 and loved it. I was very happy to read recently that it’s still going. I hope it still is whenever I get to Montreal next, but I have no idea when that will be.

Joel1963 likes this.
  16. Norco74

Count me out of been a Sunrise customer.

Their prices and in stock inventory are just not there for me.

Tornado Red and James Bennett like this.
  17. Zach Johnson

The Erin Mills Sunrise is now open...Nice amount of space. Feels more like a record store (visually) than any other Sunrise I've been to.

18. Norco74

How’s the price?

19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’ve bought 11 CDs over a few visits this summer at my location. They’ve become better than Amazon lately.

20. Zach Johnson

Prices are pretty much the same from one location to another...

21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I too often find something that’s worth owning and is either cheaper or about the same as Amazon. If something is the same price at Amazon or even within $1 I will always spend my money at the brick and mortar store to support them.

22. Norco74

Last time I went to a local Sunrise, vinyl price delta was really significant. Never went back.

23. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I should have specified that I was talking about CDs...not sure about their vinyl pricing.

24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’ve found that lately Amazon has had problems getting new releases on time and the prices are all over the map, sometimes jumping up to $20-25 for a new release. I can call Sunrise and find out much more accurate information about when they’ll have it in stock and the price.

Norco74, Pouchkine and noname74 like this.
  25. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

I was in the Erin Mills store today and was quite impressed with their inventory. Both CD and LP.
    Prices were in line with Amazon.ca
    Beatles super deluxe White Album is $215 at Sunrise $210 on Amazon. The rest I checked were in the same range. A lot of box sets was nice to see. My son who loves the Punk genre came away with six for under $70.

Pouchkine and Zach Johnson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.