HMV to close London Oxford Street store

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Man at C&A, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member Thread Starter

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Oh dear, I hope not.

I have no local record or DVD store and rely on that one for everything non-jazz. I guess it'll save me a lot of money in the long run...

Jarleboy and Man at C&A like this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member Thread Starter

I can imagine Oxford Street rents are sky high. I'm hoping this will just be a relocation to a cheaper premises.

Jarleboy and Shak Cohen like this.
  4. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Does the Oxford St. Virgin Records superstore still exist?

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

The bigger HMV already closed down a few years back. This is the smaller one just up the road. I do tend to go in here on my trip to Berwick St vinyl shops as its only 5 mins walk away. A shame if this one goes too. I know HMV does have some silly pricing at times. Lets just hope that Fopp remains. To lose my trips to Fopp in Covent Garden would be heartbreaking.

6. Almost Simon

No, that went a long time back. Think it changed hands then eventually disappeared.

Jarleboy, Shak Cohen and bhazen like this.
  7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Have they another store close by now? It's likely rents have been increased substantially.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. kyodo_dom

kyodo_dom Forum Resident

Not that it's much compensation perhaps, but HMV opened a second Tokyo shop last year (in Shinjuku to go along with their Shibuya shop, which opened about three years ago, if memory serves) and sales figures are pretty good according to media reports. Both shops stock some CDs & cassettes, but mostly vinyl.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Shank's Pony

Shank's Pony Forum Resident

Just go to Fopp instead on Shaftesbury Avenue.

Jarleboy and Almost Simon like this.
  10. Classicrock

Branson sold Virgin stores in UK and they became Zavvi (2007). They folded as they used Woolworth owned Entertainment UK for distribution and collapse of later put paid to Zavvi business. All closed by 2009 but HMV bought some.

Vetiver, Jarleboy and Simon A like this.
  11. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

If HMV don't make it, hopefully Fopp can keep going.

Jarleboy, fiscus1 and Almost Simon like this.
  12. Classicrock

How since HMV/Hilco own them?

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. Almost Simon

Yep, superb shop. 3 floors, basement is dvd/bluray but the other two are cd/vinyl and usually some sweet bargains to be had. Havent been in a while but will do before the end of this month.

And its not far from Berwick St in Soho so plenty of good record shops in walking distance to each other.

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Almost Simon

HMV started going under before yet Fopp stores (altho diminished in numbers,) did continue. How? I dont know.

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Wow. My two favourite record stores on the planet ... history. :(

When visiting London anytime from the mid-Eighties 'til '99 or so, my trip wasn't complete until I'd dropped a hundred quid or so on CDs there. Virgin, in particular, had the best-stocked shop anywhere.

I miss the high-street chain Our Price, too ...

coffeetime and Jarleboy like this.
  16. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Fopp could be sold off, or kept going in some fashion if the parent company go under.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. crazybeats

crazybeats Forum Resident

I hope HMV don't close.

Jarleboy and bhazen like this.
  18. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

That new store was a loser from day one and a sad pale shadow of what a flagship store on one of the worlds great high streets should be.
    All it had going for it was bad imitation signage from the past.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Now a primark

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Considering a move to Tokyo, if only for:
    1. Great record stores
    2. Great restaurants

Jarleboy, BunnyBoy and DeeThomaz like this.
  21. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Hopefully this is just to do with that particular site being ludicrously expensive and not indicative of the whole chain's performance.

I was worried about the Canadian shops going and what that meant for the U.K., but it seems they've been a different company for some time...

I would be sad from my own perspective but I also have a mate who works at one of their branches, and it's his absolute dream job and I know the bottom will fall out of his world if he loses it. :-/

coffeetime, Jarleboy and Man at C&A like this.
  22. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I remember getting my "Antmusic" VHS signed by Adam Ant there! Lovely man but spelt my name wrong :confused:. Anybody know anyone called Zeb who wants an Adam Ant VHS?

Jarleboy, JuanTCB, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  23. Wasn't that one actually on Regent Street?

bhazen and Jarleboy like this.
  24. kyodo_dom

kyodo_dom Forum Resident

Do it! Best move you'd ever make :D

Jarleboy, McCool71 and lightbulb like this.
  25. Independent shops still seem to be doing well there. I was in London this past November and bought some things at HMV, but prices were high, and there were racks and racks of markdowns on very commercial material. Meanwhile, Rough Trade, Sounds of the Universe, and Reckless were so full that it was often hard to get to a rack to browse. Granted, those are somewhat smaller shops (with exception of Rough Trade), but it appeared that the stock in those shops was closer to what people wanted to actually buy. Surprisingly to me, Sister Ray wasn't all that full.

Visited Concerto and Rush Hour in Amsterdam two weeks ago, and both were overflowing with shoppers.

Was at FNAC and Revolver shops in Barcelona two weekends ago, and both were very full of shoppers and were well-stocked.

Visited Reykjavik last weekend, and 12 Tonar and Reykjavik Record Shop were pretty full. Bad Taste and Lucky Records were fairly empty (Lucky had a very strong stock, though, and I bought quite a bit there).

Willowman and melstapler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.