Ho Ho Ho! - Upcoming Holiday / Christmas releases?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nathan Aaron, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

2. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

The Mel Torme Christmas album is a great one! One highlight is an original composition that rivals 'The Christmas Song' called 'The Christmas Feeling'... Not sure why it hasn't been widely covered yet but it's a classic. Mel was in great voice and there's lots of interesting and/or witty arrangements.

Simon A likes this.
  3. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The Maria Carey is already on the Amazon UK best selling vinyl chart over here. Going for about £ 15 over here, which is cheaper than a lot of current releases.

phish likes this.
  4. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I believe Audio Fidelity has a Nat King Cole Christmas SACD coming soon, should be good.

5. dualstacker

dualstacker Forum Resident

Just noticed on Acoustic Sounds website that Josh Groban Noel will be released on vinyl December 4. Looks like it will be spread over 2 lp's.

6. izaboo

izaboo Forum Resident

Out this Friday: http://omnivorerecordings.com/music/christmas-time-again/
    [​IMG]
    • The dB’s & Friends: Christmas Time Again!
      1. CHRISTMAS TIME – The dB’s
      2. HOLIDAY SPIRIT – The dB’s
      3. (IT’S GOING TO BE A) LONELY CHRISTMAS – Marshall Crenshaw
      4. THE SOUNDS OF CHRISTMAS – Skylar Gudasz
      5. CHRISTMAS TIME IS HERE – Thad Cockrell & Roman Candle
      6. HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS – The dB’s
      7. HOUSES ON THE HILL – Whiskeytown
      8. CHRISTMAS IS THE ONLY TIME – Wes Lachot
      9. IT’S CHRISTMAS – Lydia Kavanagh
      10. EIGHT DAY WEEKEND (Live) – Yo La Tengo & Jeff Tweedy
      11. I SAW THREE SHIPS (Live) – Don Dixon
      12. THE ONLY LAW THAT SANTA CLAUS UNDERSTOOD – Ted Lyons
      13. IT THE BLEAK MIDWINTER – Birds & Arrows
      14. THE CHRISTMAS SONG – Alex Chilton
      15. SANTA’S MOONLIGHT SLEIGHRIDE – Ted Lyons
      16. JESUS CHRIST (Live) – Big Star’s Third (featuring Mike Mills)
      17. CHRISTMAS LIGHT – Keegan DeWitt & The Sparrows
      18. YOU’RE WHAT I WANT (FOR CHRISTMAS) – Chris Stamey & Cathy Harrington
      19. FELIZ NAVIDAD – The dB’s
      20. THE DAY BEFORE BOXING DAY – Robyn Hitchcock
      21. IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE – Chris Stamey
      22. REMEMBER (CHRISTMAS) – Brett Harris

CrazyCatz and linclink like this.
  7. dualstacker

Received copy of Johnny Mathis "Sending You a Little Christmas" on vinyl yesterday. Issued on vinyl for the first time by Friday Music. They did a really nice job. Bright white vinyl with a great replica of the old 6 eye Columbia label. Beautiful gatefold cover. Sounds great to these ears.

CrazyCatz, Simon A and Nathan Aaron like this.
  8. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

this 2xcd has 2 flexidisc (vocoder) tracks from new order
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Ghosts-O ... se/7737461

Various ‎– Ghosts Of Christmas Past (Remake)
    Label:
    Les Disques Du Crépuscule ‎– TWI 158 CD
    Format:
    2 × CD, Compilation, Reissue
    UK & Europe
    Released:
    Genre:
    Electronic, Rock, Pop
    Style:
    Downtempo, Synth-pop
    Tracklist
    1-1 –Section 25 Jesus Sweetly Sleeps 3:37
    1-2 –Miranda Dali Happy Xmas (War Is Over) 3:37
    1-3 –The Wake Jesus From The Block 4:26
    1-4 –Marsheaux We Met Bernard Sumner At A Christmas Party Last Night 4:15
    1-5 –Ultramarine Winter Circle 3:27
    1-6 –Isolation Ward Lamina Christus 2:54
    1-7 –Thick Pigeon Jingle Bell Rock 1:33
    1-8 –Aztec Camera Hot Club Of Christ 1:48
    1-9 –Paul Haig Scottish Christmas 2:50

1-10 –B Music* Rocking Carol 3:36

1-11 –Tuxedomoon Weihnachtsrap 4:01
    1-12 –Virna Lindt Festivo 1:47
    1-13 –Blaine L. Reininger Jingle Hell 2:36
    1-14 –Blaine L. Reininger Silent Blight 2:12
    1-15 –Blaine L. Reininger Xmas Blooz 3:22
    1-16 –The Durutti Column Snowflakes 4:24
    1-17 –Monks In The Snow A Theme For This Special Evening 3:26

2-1 –Hillcrest Club Breakfast At Christmas 3:29
    2-2 –Paul Haig Christiana 3:37
    2-3 –The Names Tokyo Twilight 3:46
    2-4 –The Durutti Column One Christmas For Your Thoughts 4:26
    2-5 –White Birds Possessed By The Stars 2:16
    2-6 –Swinging Buildings Praying For A Cheaper Christmas 3:10

2-7 –B Music* Ode To Joy 3:59

2-8 –Antena Noëlle À Hawaï 3:26
    2-9 –The Pale Fountains Benoit's Christmas 2:46
    2-10 –The French Impressionists Santa Baby 3:03
    2-11 –Simon Topping Peep Show International 3:58
    2-12 –Thick Pigeon Silhouettes 3:27
    2-13 –Deux Filles The Snow Falls And The Village Is Overflowing With Children 2:17
    2-14 –Mikado (2) Message De Noël 4:01
    2-15 –Winston Tong The Twelve Days Of Christmas 4:40
    2-16 –The Arcadians Write Your Letter 3:56
    2-17 –Michael Nyman Cream Or Christians 2:49
    2-18 –Magazzini Criminali Honolulu 25 Dicembre 1990 6:11

get it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015Q09RES

later

9. MyraLea

MyraLea New Member

Don't forget Ed Aames and Lorne Green holiday albums!!! lolo...I actually post the album covers this time of year on my Facebook page in jest. I call it my annual ode to the not-so-best-selling Christmas albums from stars of stage and screen.

10. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not sure if anyone is interested, but there is a copy of Keely Smith's A Keely Christmas vinyl LP on ebay right now! That one does not come up too often, so if you're interested I'd grab it! She's got a great voice! The entire album is a low-key affair, no punchy holiday tunes here, just keep that in mind! Perfect by the fireplace in December! ;) (PS - this is not my copy I'm selling. I just saw it on ebay and had to share! Seriously, it doesn't come up too often!)

Keely Smith - A Keely Christmas vinyl LP

[​IMG]

CrazyCatz and phish like this.
  11. Nathan Aaron

12. Nathan Aaron

13. Nathan Aaron

[​IMG]

Holy crap! As if Keely wasn't a find, how about The Quinto Sisters - Holly Jolly Christmas! Just try finding this thing! You can't! Wow. I've honestly never seen it on ebay. - Period! I in some moment of Holy Holiday Miracles found a copy a few years ago at a thrift store (my mouth dropped to the floor.) A bit of history:

"(via www.falalalala.com) By this time, the Quinto Sisters had a few years of experience singing together, and their collective harmonies and individual voices are a perfect match for the songs chosen for the (Holly Jolly Christmas) album and the arrangements by Mom Giaquinto. Most songs feature the girls singing as one, but the solo efforts (Lee sings lead on “Mrs. Santa Claus”, Elaine sings the tongue-in-cheek “Baby Brother”, and then-six-year-old Cindy performed “Skinny Little Christmas Tree”) demonstrate the talented voices that their mother heard from the beginning.

“Mom ordered several hundred copies [of ‘Holly Jolly Christmas’] as soon as they came off the press, so to speak,” says Chris. “We sold them door to door and autographed them for three dollars apiece.”

It is important to note that the Quinto Sisters, not Burl Ives, were the first to record Johnny Marks’ “Holly Jolly Christmas”. The song was given to them for their album, along with “We Are Santas Elves,” “Sixty-Seven Santas” and “The Island of Misfit Toys/The Most Wonderful Day of The Year”, by Columbia. The studio would later give “Holly Jolly Christmas” to Ives to re-record for his 1965 release, and, for or many, it would become his signature song. The Quinto Sisters were unaware that the song had been given to Ives, who perhaps likewise did not even know about the Quintos. “They didn’t have to tell us. We were their employees,” explains Chris. “I learned to love Burl Ives and his ‘Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer’ TV special over the years, but watching it on television after we recorded those songs and had been peddling them door to door for six months was very disappointing.”

The Quinto Sisters - Holly Jolly Christmas

CrazyCatz likes this.
  14. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Whilst I appreciate your enthusiasm, I find it a bit of a tease to speak of the album and show Stereo cover when the LP that is up for auction is a Mono cover with a DJ sticker on it. Quite a disappointment. At least the Keely LP is the actual disc for sale.

15. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I love the country Christmas stuff, Johnny Paycheck's Jingle Bells on Little Darlin' is the cream of the crop.

One of my other all time faves is Bob Dylan Must Be Santa, great song, his finest work.

Simon A likes this.
  16. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

This year, Real Gone Music is again re-issuing some of the classic Christmas albums of the 1950's and 1960's. This is the one I'm really looking forward to. Great singer, tracklist, and arrangements!

[​IMG]

17. Nathan Aaron

Love this album!

18. Nathan Aaron

With all due respect, do you know how hard it is to find this album?! Stereo, mono, who cares! Just hit buy! I found the pic online since the eBay pic wasn't up to snuff. I didn't even pay attention to the whole mono/stereo thing. So I am sorry about that. But also, DJ promo? Hello, promos automatically up the rarity! So that's another great thing! Don't ask me why, but promos ALWAYS sell for more. So again I say, why are we talking about such things. Just hit BUY! :D

You know another holiday album just as rare as this? The Glad Singers. And I've got a DJ sticker copy and I love it! Because I know how happy I should be to simply own a copy of that hard to find LP! ;)

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Indeed! Wish he'd done an entire LP 's worth of Christmas material.

The Killer likes this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's not just a matter of available staff, but a fire ripped through their tape vaults taking complete UNI to catalogs and turning them to ash flakes. Nobody wants to admit this disaster ever happened. But between you and me, don't look for major reissues from Kapp, Decca, Coral, etc. anytime soon or anytime at all.

Best to learn the craft of LP cover scanning and needle dropping on a high-end system, and the gentle art of ClickRepair. The used bins are loaded up, the world is your oyster.

Simon A likes this.
  21. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Oh ****... I would have jumped all over a mono promo of this one... but it's kinda nice to keep having things to shoot for!

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  22. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Just for what it's worth for informational purposes only... the Jack Jones Christmas Album is being released on CD by Real Gone Music on 11/4.
    In terms of the Fred Waring stuff... Chip Arcuri denies the fire is the cause for the delay... when questioned about the fire he replied "No, the hold-up on the Fred Waring is not at all due to the UMG vault fire, but rather something worse: UMG's utter shortcomings as a company. The request to secure legal copyright clearance on the albums will be submitted again next year."

Just sharing information here... not looking to prove a point or anything... I prefer albums to cds anyday (and I do have these in my collection), but I'll probably grab the Jack Jones CD... never really got into the Fred Waring stuff anyway, so no skin off my ass.

quicksrt likes this.
  23. Nathan Aaron

- I personally think mono/stereo isn't always that important, based on how rare an LP might be, but with that said, I'll attempt to pay more attention to that next go around! :)

PS - I used to be the guy that would replace out scratched mono LPs with better stereo versions, and put them in mono jackets, vice versa. That's hurting some folks on here, isn't it? LOL ;) I stopped doing that a few years ago, realizing that wasn't the best "collector's practice."

CrazyCatz likes this.
  24. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

25. dualstacker

Nathan thanks for posting that info on the Quinto Sisters. I saw your post about an hour too late or else I would have grabbed it for sure. Any chance you could scan the back cover? I will definitely be looking for that the next couple of months. BTW I have The Glad Singers on white promo vinyl and it's a real hoot.

CrazyCatz and Nathan Aaron like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.