Hockey pucks under turntable: worth trying!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

My TD-124 is sitting on a fairly lightweight Ikea table, which is probably made from compressed sawdust under the genuine artificial woodgrain veneer.

Being an idler-belt drive hybrid design, this turntable generates a lot of vibration, even though I have it in a layered plywood plinth.

Just for the heck of it, I put four hockey pucks under the rubber feet; the improvement is NOT subtle. Bass is significantly tighter and better defined, transients are much more impactful, and everything is crisper and more resolved.

I won't claim that hockey pucks will make a difference in every system, but they are cheap enough to be worth trying out and seeing if they make a difference.

[​IMG]

DarkAudit and telemike like this.
  2. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

Did you use these by any chance?
    I know they were not needed this year.:(
    [​IMG]

3. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

You surely have this all wrong @redmetalmoose .......nice try fella! These obviously were collected from behind Tukka all year, heavy discount out there for slightly used pucks....."Get your goals against Tukka pucks here!"

Wicked bad year for them......I am on the fence though about Claude being let go - system of his works, when followed to a "T" - but I think the NHL has evolved that unless perfect it's going to be beaten. Patrice - Selke #2???

Rolltide and redmetalmoose like this.
  4. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Nice looking system there @action pact - we have some new folks here in the office, some larger folks, and when they walk to the copier outside my door I am getting more vibrations then ever. First time I have ever had this problem. My TD-166 has some upgraded feet already but still skips here and there when they come by. I ordered some cheap sorbathane half moon style feet to try to absorb the vibrations. $14 bucks I hope well spent.

If they fail I will try the pucks.....my neighbor floods his back yard every winter for his 2 kids, both who are hockey phenoms locally, and he also has his teams for practice here and there. There are usually 10-20 in my yard every spring when I do my clean up.....I just will keep the best 4 and throw the rest back next door!

5. I already use hockey pucks to decouple my speakers from the floor. This looks worth a shot. :D

6. action pact

Wouldn't it be preferable to couple the speakers to the floor? That's what the spikes are for. That way the cabinets are stable when the drivers are pumping.

The pucks probably do a good job of protecting your floor though!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    ggergm likes this.
  7. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

8. I think the "Bench Cookies" may be too low of a durometer. They are certainly worth a try if you have them, or can borrow them. I would guess the softish top and bottom pad would either crush or get spiked, depending on your TT feet, and then you would be on the hard plastic media of the main puck.

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If you want quantity discount look to the Toronto area, take advantage of the currency difference.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  10. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

A cheap solution can be a good solution and indeed a lot of stuff in audio seems to be a cheap solution with a nice bit of packaging and very high prices to SEEM like it's good. $2000 for an amp stand or $7 for four hockey pucks. My 121lb amp is on hockey pucks cause it would probably break most amp stands.

[​IMG]

redmetalmoose likes this.
  11. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

12. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Boooooo....
    Hssssssss....

13. I've used hockey pucks lined on both sides with self-adhesive 3" furniture felt pads (perfect fit) for years under an IKEA butcher block onto which my TT was placed. Like you already said....the difference is sound was NOT subtle and the improvements in overall presentation are astonishing for the investment made.

action pact likes this.
  14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

15. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Wouldn't that be a four-puck?

33na3rd and jriems like this.
  16. triple

triple Senior Member

Genuine artificial veneer, I like that expression, ha, ha. Reminds me of a phrase I heard when I worked in Africa. Street sellers would try to sell fake wrist watches claiming that they were "first copy".

action pact likes this.
  17. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

A puck is a puck - however, the NHL ones are kept frozen - so best to get a game used one for the Cryogenic improvement!:D

Rolltide, jriems, ggergm and 3 others like this.
  18. No burn-in required! :pineapple:

19. teag

teag Forum Resident

Great - good deal for you. Could be so noticeable because the table was not doing a good job of keeping vibrations from your TT.

20. russk

russk Forum Resident

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

21. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Is this method endorsed by Don Rickles?

broccolid, andy749, danner and 5 others like this.
  22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Do you really want non hot-stamper hockey pucks to rest your turntable on? Tsk, tsk.

Rupe33 likes this.
  23. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I use pucks under my turntable as well.
    Also use squash balls cut in half under my CD players.
    I think both have helped, at least a bit.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

A man after my own heart. I never fly without some foam on my walls (wife's aesthetics be damned!)

25. action pact

Excellent point, and that's exactly why I said, "I won't claim that hockey pucks will make a difference in every system, but they are cheap enough to be worth trying out and seeing if they make a difference."

utahusker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.