Hoffman preps to 'Meet the Fockers' (Dustin, not Steve)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

I like Dustin Hoffman, but I was hoping for Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara. :(

Hoffman preps to 'Meet the Fockers'

By Gabriel Snyder
    Variety

Dustin Hoffman is ready to tackle the age-old question of what sort of parent would name his son Gaylord Focker.

Hoffman has inked a deal to play the father of Ben Stiller's character in "Meet the Fockers," the follow-up to "Meet the Parents," which Universal is readying for late March start. U has already set a Dec. 22 release date for the pic.

Jay Roach is set to return to helm. Robert De Niro and Stiller have already reached deals to reprise their roles as a protective father and the bumbling boyfriend who wants to marry his daughter.

The role of Mrs. Focker is still to be cast. At the premiere of "Along Came Polly," Stiller told USA Today, "My dream is Barbra Streisand."

Teri Polo and Blythe Danner are also returning to play, respectively, Stiller's fiance and De Niro's wife.

"Fockers" picks up where "Parents" ended: De Niro's uptight character has blessed the wedding of his daughter to Stiller's character. All that is left before the wedding is for the two sets to get to know one another.

After "Parents" grossed $166 million domestically in 2000, U was enthusiastic about making a sequel. But rather than rushing it into production, the talent involved wanted to be patient while working the script into shape.

"Parents" scribe Jim Herzfeld as well as writing team Tim Rasmussen and Vince DiMeglio get credit on the final draft.

"Fockers" is being produced on a tight schedule. De Niro began production in New York on Fox thriller "Hide and Seek" on Monday. Pic is skedded to wrap March 25, and then De Niro will turn around and start "Fockers" in Hollywood on March 29.

Pic is being produced by Tribeca Prods. partners De Niro and Jane Rosenthal as well as Roach. Nancy Tenenbaum will exec produce.

Hoffman is repped by Endeavor.

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Oh, that Hoffman! :D

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

:laugh: Didn't even think about that. I've changed the subject line so people don't get confused and think Steve's pursuing an acting career (although I think he'd make an excellent James Bond).

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Shouldn't that be "the role of Mother Focker is still to be cast"??:D

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Dustin will bring class to the flick no matter what part he plays! Cool! I enjoy the "Meet The Parents" DVD every so often...A pure stretch for Bobby D!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.