DCC Archive Holiday audiophile delights?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan, Nov 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Senior Member Thread Starter

It's almost Christmas time again, time to get out the Christmas CD's!

I could use one or two to add to my small collection. Can anyone recommend some good reissues or just outstanding sounding recordings?

--Dan

2. Unknown

Unknown Guest

If you have MXR pedals, you must be a guitar guy, right?

So get all the John Fahey Christmas and holiday CDs or LPs you can find. I think some are OOP, but they shouldn't be that hard to find. Some songs will overlap.

Then get those "Merry Axemas" CDs, if you don't already have 'em.

3. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

Get Shawn Colvin's "Holiday Songs And Lullabies". The sound is ok, at least. The performance is just beautiful.
    All the best
    Thomas

4. Ian

Ian Active Member

Gonna have to drag out my copy of "Hell! It's Xmas" By Trailer Trash... Great sound and great performance.

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I presume that every one has the Sinatra Family Christmas CD from DCC? I wonder if there are any other DCC Christmas CDs out there?

Just saw in the store, "The Millennium Collection", two (yes, 2) three CD sets of very interesting music. Seems to cover '50's to early '70's. Very inexpensive. Even though they may be remastered, I'll probably pick them up. The noise of the family at Christmas will drown out any potential harshness, eh?

Or am I dreaming again? ;)

6. Arne

Arne Guest

Hi,

may I point you towards a Razor & Tie Holiday CD that was mastered by Steve: "Merry From Lena", a great and mostly up-tempo Christmas swinger by Lena Horne (originally released by United Artists in '65 or '66). Although the CD has been discontinued it should still be widely available.
    Actually, I only discovered by accident that Steve did the mastering on this one - long before the Steve Hoffman discography went online. As Steve told me about a year ago on the old forum, the CD was done straight from the original three-track. The sound is exceptional, and it also holds up very well (musically, that is) against Ella's "Swingin' Christmas". Enjoy!

Arne [​IMG]

7. Arne

Arne Guest

8. Mart

Mart New Member

[​IMG] OOH OOH OOH

<STRONG>
    • [​IMG]
    • Any "audiophile" Armonica (not harmonica) orchestrated Christmas recordings?
    • Any audiophile orchestrated Christmas Hymn choirs?
    </STRONG>

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Picked this up last night, Thomas. I love it - it's wonderful! Just a little on the different side - suits me! You are right - beautiful performances!

Thank you very much for mentioning this!

G

(man, I LOVE this board!)

:D

PS I wonder what Steve's favorite Christmas Music is? Steve, are you there...?

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Can anyone please recommend anything by the Vienna Choir Boys or similiar type of music?

This is really just an expansion of Mart's request "Any audiophile orchestrated Christmas Hymn choirs?"

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: Gary ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.