Holiday miracle time-- the "Welcome Home Elvis" soundtrack has been found!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

...and it's in hi-fi, folks!

(Normally, this sort of story might go in the "Visual Arts" section, but I'm pretty sure that discovering a lost high-quality copy of a duet between the legends of two different musical generations rates a story here in the Music forum...) :)

56 years after its initial broadcast, and 41 years after ABC is said to have discarded the original master videotape, a high-quality source of the soundtrack for the Frank Sinatra-hosted 1960 Timex special has finally been located.

The special, officially titled "It's Nice to Go Traveling", was Sinatra's last for the network, and was conceived as a vehicle to welcome home Elvis Presley, who was returning from Germany, after his separation from the service. Reviews of the show were generally positive, and the highlight of the program was the once-in-a-lifetime pairing of the The Chairman of the Board and The King, as they performed a duet of each other's hits-- "Love Me Tender" and "Witchcraft."

Time, however was not so kind to the program-- prior to the wiping of the master tape, at least two different kinescopes were made; one of which demonstrated severe flagging problems across the top of the image, as a result of a mis-calibrated video playback machine. Over time, the negatives for those kinescope films also appeared to have been lost, and so for the past 40 years, the only surviving record of the broadcast has been a few very low-quality dupes of those films, many of which appear to have seen better days. It's debatable as to whether the audio or the video has suffered worse over the years.

While many of the video issues can be solved with a professional transfer of a print of the "good" kinescope, and the application of LiveFeed Video Imaging, the indifferent quality of the surviving audio has been a sticking point. And having now heard one, I can confidently state that this program is vastly helped by having a high-fidelity soundtrack source, which allows everyone to experience the nuances of each singer's vocalizations and Nelson Riddle's marvelous arrangements.

There was no soundtrack recording released at the time the program was broadcast, and indeed, the idea of coordinating a deal that included Col. Tom Parker, Frank Sinatra's Hobart Productions, Capitol Records and RCA Records seems mind-boggling. The upshot however, is that there have been no professional sources from which to extract a decent soundtrack to accompany a restored image.

However, the discovery of over 45 minutes of the program's soundtrack on a double-sided 12" acetate have now made a full restoration of the program possible. In addition to the video program itself, the soundtrack find also adds two new song masters to both Elvis' discography (his live-in-the-studio performance of "Fame & Fortune" and "Stuck on You") and Frank's holdings (his solo versions of "Witchcraft" and "Gone With the Wind") as well as the historic duet between the two singing legends. Presumably, once all of the details are worked out between the various corporate concerns, a separate CD version of the soundtrack would also be contemplated.

I'm thrilled that this recording has been finally been unearthed after over half a century-- there is no accompanying paperwork that indicates why the acetate was commissioned (particularly since none of John Cameron Swayze's Timex ads are included), but this is one of those things that you just learn to say "Why ask why?" about... it just is. And that's perfectly fine by me.

Happy Holidays to all fans of Frank & Elvis (and Nancy & Sammy & Peter Lawford, too!)

- Kevin

2. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Marvelous news!

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Exciting discovery!

Any news about who owns this acetate, and (most important for a commercial release) who owns the rights?

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Outstanding! Thank you for sharing this fantastic news! :righton:

5. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

If this is the same acetate that was just listed on Ebay for $3,500, don't know if anyone bought it, it or another copy has come up on Ebay in the past.

Bob F likes this.
  6. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Great news!

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Says it was sold:

#1 RAREST ELVIS PRESLEY OFFICIAL LP 12" EVER ISSUED! 1960 W/ SINATRA & RAT PACK! | eBay »

(Lots of detail, plus closeup photos, in the original eBay listing.)

[Edit:] That recent eBay listing does not claim the acetate is unique. ("This is one of these.") Here's a link to an earlier auction. If it is the same item, the buyer made a huge profit (£100 to $3500):

popsike.com - Elvis Presley, Welcome home Elvis, 1960 ACETATE 12" LP Frank Sinatra, Nancy - auction details »

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Arkoffs likes this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

9. Joel Cairo

Well, I believe the Sinatra estate still controls Hobart Productions, so they likely own the show.. but I'm sure that some accommodation will need to made with Universal (for Capitol Records) and Sony (for RCA Records)-- they're the companies that now control each singer's recordings from that period. And of course, they'll need to come to come to an agreement with EPE for the use of Elvis' likeness... all in all, it's a project that's still got a lot of lawyers attached to it!

- Kevin

Bob F likes this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Presenting a play in one act:

Sinatra Estate: Hey, EPE- would you like to make bundles of money with us?

EPE: Sure!

Sinatra Estate: Okay, then let's put this thing out on Blu-Ray, DVD, and CD with restored audio and video.

EPE: Deal!

Fans Of Frank and Elvis: YAY! Take our money!

majorlance and Joel Cairo like this.
  11. Joel Cairo

The Popsike page is quoting the auction in which the now-current Ebay seller obtained the item. It's the same disc.

And although I would agree that the current seller certainly made money on the deal, this is one of those odd pieces that not only has intrinsic value as an item, but also a (much higher) potential value with regard to its content.

A restored program? Two new Frank Sinatra recording masters? Two new Elvis recording masters? A duet master? DVD... CD...

$3,500.00 actually looks pretty cheap!

- Kevin

HoundsOBurkittsville and Bob F like this.
  12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I wasn't saying it's not worth the price; just pointing out that a 23 times increase in two years was a damn good investment for someone. :D

The big question is: Where did this (apparently unique) recording come from in the first place?

13. Joel Cairo

**That** is the $64.00 question...!

It's funny-- in reviewing the material **not**on the disc (the Timex commercials and a couple of numbers by the Tom Hanson Dancers), that's exactly the sort of thing that you'd delete if you were considering a commercial release.

45:30 is still a little long for a serious LP release, but this could represent someone's attempt to cull the material for a soundtrack LP.

Just thinking out loud...

- Kevin

14. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

It was announced last year that FSE were going to put out "Welcome Back Elvis" on DVD.

However the whole world has the bootleg. What's the big deal here?

The "Elvis/Sinatra" duet has been officially released on LP/CD by RCA/BMG....they had to get approval from FSE to release it. Sinatra paid Elvis $100,000 to appear. FSE owns the show.

And if this disc originated in the UK how did they record it...off the BBC....that may be why it has no commercials. Was the show aired in the UK in 1960?

To call this an "official" release is stretching it in my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

So it'll take another 25 years to get it released!:goodie::pineapple::crazy::doh:

16. Joel Cairo

Well-- first, I don't know that it did originate in the UK. At this point, that appears to be speculation. And it's clearly not an official **release**... being a transcription disc that was hand-cut, there's no way that it could be. It **may** be a possible work part for an unrealized project.

Someone can check the Radio Times listings, but I'm not certain that this program actually did contemporaneously air in the UK. However, they wouldn't have been able to directly air a copy of the US videotape in any event, since the UK's video standard at that time was 405-line, and our tape would have been 525-line NTSC.

- Kevin

17. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

This is great news for everyone who loves Frank and Elvis.

And it just goes to show once again that lost doesn't always mean lost forever.
    It amazes me what still turns up on ocassion , even 50+ years after the fact.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm still shocked that Elvis' Sun demo acetates managed to survive!

19. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

More info is over on the For Elvis CD Collectors forum under the "Hmm-- they say one of these is worth 1,000 words" thread. This is better quality than what's been heard before. "the SQ absolutely kills any available kinescope soundtrack. Seriously-- you can toss them all in the bin."

20. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

When it comes out, I'm in.

21. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

In Elvis's case. Sony (audio previously released) just has to switch recordings and include them in a future compilation, and of course paying or making a deal the owner of the recordings, to be able to use them.

22. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

23. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Interesting read chaps.

In my best Elvis impression, and a curl of my lip "Thank you much" ;)

24. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

In 1960 mono? Sinatra's own In the Wee Small Hours 1955 LP ran 54 minutes and Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely in 1958 ran about the same in its mono incarnation.

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

@Joel Cairo: Keith, How does the SQ compare to the two tracks the Sinatra folks released on the 2003 Hart Sharp Video DVD, Sinatra: The Classic Duets? ("You Make Me Feel So Old" with Nancy Sinatra and dad, and "Witchcraft/Love Me Tender" with Elvis and Frank). There was also a companion 2002 Capitol Records CD, but I'm not sure if it used the same audio source.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.