Holy Grail unreleased songs that you finally heard - and were disappointed..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mattright, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattright

mattright Forum Resident Thread Starter

So - do you have any Holy Grail unreleased songs that you have read about over the years and then finally heard them and were disappointed? I remember reading about this song (St. Tristan's Sword) in the Zep bio Hammer of the Gods and I guess I built it up in my mind - and now that it's been released, I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=61&v=GUd64EWipSA

2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

A small legend grew up around John Coltrane's "The Last Blues," which sat unreleased until 2000 after being rumored for years. It turned out to be a good, and even quirky, but not earth-shattering performance.

Plus...some of the Beach Boys' Smile material :hide:

3. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I bet I will be disappointed if I ever hear "Carnival Of Light".

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The Allman Brothers' cover of My Favorite things
    All of Linda Ronstadt's Keeping out of Mischief lp
    Zappa Bognor Regis
    Clapton's Turn Up Down lp

5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

smile

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The Beatles' "What's The New Mary Jane" for me. I was never a big bootleg guy, so I heard about it for a good 15+ years before I actually heard it - and it was frinkin' awful! :sigh:

7. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

Lots of Springsteen stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad a lot of that stuff has leaked out, and I am a huge fan of his work. But lots of the Born to Run to The River stuff that I heard rumors about but never heard, when I finally heard it I thought Springsteen made some very good decisions about what to leave in the can. Funny thing is that I like some of that material, but I had it blown up in my mind that it was going to be better than the album tracks then heard them and was disappointed that they weren't.

8. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

The 8-Track tape version of "Pigs on the Wing" by Pink Floyd (with guitar solo bridging the two parts)

Keith V and giantleech like this.
  9. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

There are two albums that involve Steve Marriott, Street Rats by Humble Pie which sounds like a bunch of poorly mixed demos and I think the other is called Scrubbers Sessions, which has the keyboard parts mixed so as to be the lead instrument which destroys something that probably wouldn't be good even if it had a good mix.
    I waited quite a while before coming across copies of both and was quite disappointed.
    Street Rats has a few passable moments.

10. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

There's been some Neil Young stuff over the years that, while good, just couldn't live up to the hype/expectations.

11. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I own every Bob Seger album except Noah. There's a reason for that exception.

jdrueke likes this.
  12. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

elo beatles forever

Eska68, Comet01, klaatuhf and 5 others like this.
  13. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

The title track and "Death Row" would be worth including on a box set, if Bob and Punch would consent to putting one out.

superstar19 likes this.
  14. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Duane Allman playing with the Dead,good but not definitive versions of any of the songs.
    I guess nothing beats imagination!:shrug::agree:

Texas T and Ignatius like this.
  15. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Smile

rod and Maggie like this.
  16. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

I had been waiting a few years to hear Led Zeppelin's Sugar Mama. I was initially unimpressed with the simplistic riff, but am now sort of digging it!

17. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

"Scream thy Last Scream, Old Woman With a Basket" and "Vegetable Man", the legendary last Syd/Floyd recordings.

18. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Steely Dan - The Second Arrangement

Yes, it's alright but it's not that fantastic. Fits well on Gaucho...and you can make of that what you will....

BluesOvertookMe and wayneklein like this.
  19. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

First thing that came to my mind.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Innervenus Eyes is a good cut too.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Wouldn't it be Nice to Live Again. It's good but not as good as Feels Flow, Till I Die or Surf's Up where it would rested if it were released.

Hey Vinyl Man and Mister Charlie like this.
  22. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

After enjoying for many years the embryo that was performed live in 1971, I was thrilled when it was announced that a 1974 studio recording of Jethro Tull's unreleased song "Tomorrow Was Today" was going to be released. It was never confirmed before whether that song was ever attempted in studio, so it was great to be able to finally hear a finished version of it. Turns out I liked the embryo a lot better, since the complete version threw away my favorite riff of the song. After some listens it grew on me, though, I now quite enjoy it, even though I still prefer the rawer original version.

23. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I find Brand New Morning to be a pretty tough slog as well.

24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Tomorrow Never Knows (take 1). Rubbish.

Tommyboy, guppy270, Keith V and 5 others like this.
  25. Another vote for Smile. Not really a Holy Grail since I've never been much of a Beach Boys fan, but anyone with a more than passing interest in pop-rock had at least some interest in hearing Smile, and I was surprised at how much of it was essentially vaudeville and cartoon music. If it had actually been released at the time it would've been regarded as an ambitious misfire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.