Home Improvement (ABC TV show)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 11, 2018.

1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

No I havent lol

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

She was beautiful for a long time.

She hasn't aged too gracefully, however, which is a shame. She is only 51.

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. MikaelaArsenault

She's 67 actually.

5. jason88cubs

6. jason88cubs

Think he meant Pam Anderson lol

7. MikaelaArsenault

8. MikaelaArsenault

Oops. :(

9. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

Not only that, I find that even the early episodes look timeless. They don't have a dated look like "Cheers", "Wings" or "Roseanne". If it wasn't for the clothing styles, I'd be hard pressed to tell that the show was from the 90s.

10. MikaelaArsenault

But she reunited with the cast in 2016 though...

11. jason88cubs

12. The Hud

Yes, I was talking about Anderson. :)

13. MikaelaArsenault

Sorry.

14. The Hud

No worries. :)

15. MikaelaArsenault

I misread it as Patricia Richardson and not Pamela Anderson.

16. The Hud

This is kind of strange:

Pamela Anderson is 51, born in 1967.

Patricia Richardson is 67, born in 1951.

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

There is never an implied promise that a creative and acting team put under the pressure-cooker of network schedules and always watching their back in case the "hit that America loves" sign could come crashing down any minute, could ever exist beyond a Season 5 without serious backstage problems. You spend the first few seasons just trying to establish the rhythm of a show that resembles what you all had in your heads, always looking forwards towards re-negotiation options, salary bumps (to make the first 5 years fair to you and your family). You spend the next few seasons navigating cast changes, hissy-fits, and something not a lot of audience thinks about: How are you going to grow this show so it doesn't stay stagnent? Characters must evolve, primarily because the audience gets no benefit from them saying trapped in amber; plots must take on other properties and different issues, because doing the same old thing week-after-week (unles you're Angela Landsbury), can really kill the momentum of a show. And somehow, over the next few years, you have to make a convincing effort to please Disney with constant oblique references to cartoon movies from Walt's Vault, and shoehorn a last-minute mandate that the whole cast has to "take a trip to The Magic Kingdom", NOW!, without coming off as cheesy (get it? Cheese? Mice? Ah-yuk, ah-yuk, ah-yuk...).

And, if you own the show that's still pulling its' weight on the network schedule, you're eventually gonna have to figure out how to leverage that into other opportunities for cast members to expand your brand...or else, Al's suddenly gonna end up as a guest star on Murder She Wrote, just to keep access to his health insurance from his SAG-AFTRA card!

There's a lot happening after you build a hit, that nobody ever thinks about...until it finally gets done...or undone.

18. jason88cubs

I was gonna say if Pam ANderson looks like that at 67 I'll have what she's having

19. jason88cubs

It;s safe to say MOST shows are at their best the first 3-4 years

Which is why Dick Van Dyke ended after 5, ANdy Griffith , at first was gonna end at 5

Even Cheers started to tire a bit in season 5 but got a second life with Shelly Long leaving

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Unless they're not. *cough*Seinfeld*cough*
    Then there are dramas where an overall plot fails to immediately materialize, and you're assuming it's all "______-of-the-week" until that happens.
    Maybe you don't have to wait 4 full years for it to pick up the pace, but it sometimes fools you with a tepid start.
    Person Of Interest
    Fringe
    Babylon 5

...and, just maybe, Route 66; you remember, how they took forever to get all the way to California, and it didn't really get meaty, until they decided to turn the car around, and drive back the other way...;) :D

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  21. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Not quite. The first couple of seasons, especially the first, finds the show finding its groove. A show generally don’t hit its peak until the middle of its run. Unless a show ends unexpectedly, the end of the run usually isn’t its peak. Very rarely would I say a first season of a show is among a show’s best.

Bluesman Mark and Jarleboy like this.
  22. MikaelaArsenault

Aww... :)

Patricia Richardson gave birth to twins three months before she began filming. In fact, she brought her twins to her initial interview and the producers built a nursery in the studio for them.

Jarleboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. jason88cubs

Interesting fact.

Jonathan Taylor Thomas(Randy) is actually a month older than Zachary Bryan (Brad)

24. MikaelaArsenault

I'm curious to know if anyone has an answer to this.

Whenever there were episodes that involved Brad and the saxophone, was the actor (Zachery Ty Bryan) really playing it or another musician?

The reason why I'm asking is because I looked up the episode called Slip Sledding Away, and it mentioned Brad contemplating saxophone lessons which means that whenever he played, music would be involved.

25. MikaelaArsenault

And Taran Noah Smith was only 7 years old at the time the show started.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2018
    Matthew Tate likes this.