Home Studio Mixer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aashton, Sep 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aashton

aashton Here for the waters... Thread Starter

I'm thinking about getting a mixer to do some recording at home (primarily my drums - and as I like toys have been thinking of mic'ing everything :) ) - the local music shop suggested a Mackie 8 bus (24) which I like the look of - has anyone any experience with these and do you have any steers ?

All thoughts greatly appreciated - plus views on other components I should look out for

I have a dream ;)

All the best - Andrew

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Get a Mackie. They sound fine, last forever, take tons of abuse and don't cost much.

Get a Mackie 1402-VLZ. Cheap, and you shouldn't need more mixer than that.

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I agree with the recommendation. I've had this one for a few years and it's built like a tank and does the job well. I've dragged & worked with this board in some hellish environments and never a major problem. These Mackie boards are considered the "Swiss Army knives" of recording (sadly, it doesn't come with a can-opener but such is life)...

Todd

4. RedSprites

RedSprites New Member

I have had an old 1202 (before the VLZ) for 10 years in my home studio. It still looks and works like new. The XDR mic-pres on the newer VLZ boards are really nice.

5. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

After having had a brief look at the specifications, I must say this is impressive. I wonder what type of op-amp they are using.

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

<<<Nah...get a 1958 EMI Tube Console like EMI had in Studio B.

If it was good enough for The Beatles, its good enuff for you!!

:))

7. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

Mackie is certainly well-known. If you like Vintage recording gear as I do- check out the Teac and Tascam listings on Ebay. I think the Teac Model 2 and 2A, circa 1979/early 80's, with the MB-20 meter bridge is a nice little mixer- 4 buss outs. I dunno why its seems so difficult to make mixers like that nowadays.

The 2A board was the matching mixer to the Teac A-3440- another very popular recorder that I like very much. And they still do well in the bidding on Ebay.

8. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

>>>Yea, but the 2A was noisy as hell. I got rid of mine for that reason.

It WAS cool looking tho, with the cool "L" meter bridge......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.