Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yep. She's reckless.

2. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

There is much truth in this show, as Terrorism, is very much alive and well.

3. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I was getting into this show until last night. I thought Carrie's actions really just lost all credibility as a serious CIA agent. There is no way to build a legal case against him once she had sex with him. Carrie's is over the top most of the time, but this twist is rather ridiculous.

4. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

The goal isn't as much to build legal cases against these terrorists as it is to STOP them either with their death or indefinite detention. Her sex with him was two-fold; 1)she's mentally unstable and has needs just like the rest of us (based on her previous bar scenes and her lifestyle I'm guessing she's had many one-night stands) and 2)it gives her a good question to ask him to see if he can beat a polygraph which he can. If he says yes he's been unfaithful (the truth) then the CIA starts to view him in a different light (he's suppose to be this all-American hero) if he says no then the polygraph goes crazy and she catches him in a lie. Problem is, at some point he's been trained on how to beat the poly.

Of course all of this is still the supposition that he is in fact TURNED. Someone had to warn the muslim professor and his radical girlfriend/wife but I think it's someone inside the CIA because Brody wouldn't have any idea the CIA was on to them. Saul makes sense based on his actions but maybe it's another analyst (the one who is suppose to be keeping an eye on Carrie?) or even a higher up. I'm guessing since the actor that plays Brody is pretty well known at this point and in the intro for the show they might end up making him a part of the "team" for future seasons. My wife thinks he's probably muslim now but maybe not a terrorist. The informant in the first episode just said they turned a P.O.W., doesn't have to be one who was still in captivity, maybe some of those CIA folks were held for a while. Who knows, great show though.

5. agentalbert

Given what the DHS or CIA can do, I'm not sure it matters. They have the power to declare someone an ememy combatant and then most legalities go out the window. Not trying to go political as to whether that is justified or not. Just pointing out that DHS/CIA can do what they want.

6. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

That they can.

7. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

wow, did Saul fail the polygraph? :eek:

I didn't realize the CIA built legal cases, especially against terrorists :laugh:

8. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

The first time. Because he didn't complete it. Although I think that's technically more of an inconclusive.

9. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

The trouble is that the CIA doesn't know he told the lie, because there is no way that Carrie can tell Saul that she slept with a suspect or even that she's been following him around. She's on thin enough ice as it is.

Chad

10. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I'm starting to suspect Saul myself.

11. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I'm in the in the shoe camp. We saw a shot of him grabbing his shoes when he was abducted and then another shot of his shoes when he was thrown in the van. Unless that was all misdirection.

Chad

12. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I think Carrie is also having problems keeping up her supplies of her anti-psychotic drug, and this could be leading her into some really over the top behavior.

13. agentalbert

Good point.

Although her seduction of Brody seemed pretty calculated, didn't it?

14. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I think it may be a bit of both, she wanted to get close to him in any way possible, including physical(She seems to have no qualm about one-night stands), but she's also going out of control too. Kind of like someone who has the hots for someone else, has a few drinks to work up their courage, but has too many acts way out of line.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

So now it's the "dead" friend...? Do we believe Brody is innocent?t

16. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

What I'm having a problem with is how can Walker be alive if Brody is sure that he beat Walker to death? Wouldn't Brody recognize Walker?

17. kwadguy

Interesting end tonight ...

18. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Finally watched it on the DVR. Yes, some twists and some lack of plausability in the latest episode IMO. Still watching to see what happens but not as entranced as after the first few episodes. The one character who has grown on me is Saul but the others seem to act out of character too often.

19. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I like this show very much. I just found it two weeks ago so I had to do some catching up. I don't think there is anything wrong with the language, that's probably the way they talk. I can't imagine one of them saying, "oh darn", that would be ridiculous. I don't think this show is for kids anyway.

20. kwadguy

We're down to two more shows for the season. How are people liking this? It has grown on me. I've liked it more as it has gone on.

I am not sure how this is going to progress for season 2 (already renewed). Do we solve the "mystery" of Brody in season 1, or does the same investigation continue?

21. agentalbert

What do you consider the mystery of Brody at this point? Not sure what is happening the last two episodes, but at this point I would expect season 2 to fast forward past an election and we now have Senator Brody and the planned assassination of the vice president. Tom Walker may very well die in the finale, leading everyone at the CIA/FBI to consider the threat to the vice president eliminated. Everyone but Carrie, of course. They'll also have Carrie and Saul working to flush the mole within the US Government, and there will be occasional hints that the mole is Saul.

That's my guess anyway. ;)

22. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

Carrie & Saul are two very lonely people and their job is their life. Carrie does harbour some psych. problems and has developed real feelings for Brody. And Saul's wife left him in an emotional knot. I think the producers/writers have written Saul's actions as a red herring and viewers are in for a surprise as far as the mole is concerned. Can Brody's plan to run for Senator be part of the larger plot to get a turncoat into a high govt. position? I'm staying tuned.

-Steve D.

23. kwadguy

Interesting suggestions...and I like it...

24. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

The show has grown on us, look forward to it each week

25. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Given her obsession for the green pen, I guess we can say that Carrie is an audiophile.

Jose Jones likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.