Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I doubt he's a political appointee. He's been with the agency for far too long.

2. DLD

DLD Senior Member

You may well be right, just asupposition on my part, but, I worked under one for 10 years (who actually was a Deputy for 20) and another for 15, both of whom survived various administrations, both Dem and Rep. The first one died and the second one, who succeeded him, was out when a certain U.S. senator, who was responsible for his appt., got voted out. He was not a happy camper. But getting back to your point, right, IIRC, Dar has referenced field work in his past. Doubt that a political appointee ever came from such a background but who the heck knows, lol.

3. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

This season has been good. But last season was the best of the series.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Last season, really? With all the self indulgent scenes of Quinn and his interminable poolside dalliance? The season did have good episodes (usually not those involving Quinn), but the ratio of good to bad wasn't favorable. And surely, you can't mean it was better than season 1?

I think this season is much better (than the last) overall, although I think the Quinn subplot is still the weakes part.

ex_mixer likes this.
  5. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Gotta agree here. Season 1 still the best, but the current one is very good. Last year was the weakest in my book (but still enjoyable).

Could Quinn possibly take anymore abuse!?! Poor guy....

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Some of last season was great. The attack on the embassy was pretty riveting. But the season did end with a whimper.

mmars982 likes this.
  7. jojopuppyfish

Except for the last episode it was my favorite.
    I like the whole show but last season was the best.
    This season feels like a soap opera.
    Although the female double agent has been great and really makes this season

8. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I have to agree, very "soap operaish" this season. With that said, I'm still tuned in every week.

9. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Still one of the best series on TV.

Hexwood, grx8 and ex_mixer like this.
  10. "Nobody wants to see another Paris", Allison Carr says to Dar Adal as their walking in tonight's episode.

My partner, Debra and I were talking after the Paris attacks about whether or not the series might re-shoot or add some scenes over the last few episodes of Season 5 to tie into current events. Appears they did.

Another solid episode, btw.

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, they're trying to play it 'real', but I'm not sure that's such a good idea. Not only can real events change very quickly, but also there is a kind of jarring clash of compartmentalization between a fictional TV show and reality. It's like when actors in a movie mention their favorite movie stars which happen to be well known real-life actors...it's a bit too meta (if you're not Community!).

But, still along those lines, they mentioned another real-life truth that is often ignored by political demagogues, that engaging ISIS with 'boots on the ground' is a strategy that they actually desire in order to keep feeding radicalization pipeline.

Agreed, a very solid episode.

Chris R likes this.
  12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I realize Quinn is tough, but surviving what he has in the last ten weeks is a bit much.

13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Apparently, they didn't reshoot the scene but dubbed in new audio. I'm with Deesky that it might not be the best idea. It really took me out of the show and back to reality.

mrjinks likes this.
  14. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I agree. When Quinn is an emotionless bad*** like he started out as he’s the best character on the show. He’s slowly getting back to that this season but we’ll probably get the usually love story with Carrie crap again.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

God, I really hope not.

16. Interesting. Thanks.

mmars982 likes this.
  17. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

These episodes have been in the can for months, so this has to be the explanation. It did catch me off guard a little, but then I quickly remembered when Paris happened. I actually thought they did a decent job with this-It was almost a throwaway line.

18. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Wow, that's some cliffhanger on this week's episode, am I right?

mrjinks and Vinyl Addict like this.
  19. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Shot, stabbed, beaten, gassed, kidnapped, what else can he endure?:)

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ask Jack Bauer!

PHILLYQ likes this.
  21. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Any thoughts on the finale?

22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Did the burst of sunlight at the end alter what I assume Carrie was planning to do?

23. jojopuppyfish

I think I made a big mistake watching the show on my computer. I found it underwhelming. But Saul certainly got his revenge.
    And she was a great character on the show that you knew wasn't going to be around next season.
    Honestly, I think the show has run its course....but next season may prove me wrong.

24. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

It would be tough to figure out yet another plausible way Carrie gets back in with the CIA. One way would be if Quinn lives and regains competence, and somehow she needs to get back in for him.

25. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

What a terrible, terrible finale.

GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.