Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I may be in the minority but... Peter F'ing Quinn!!! I can't have him not in this show. I'm probably just holding out hope he magically fully recovers and becomes Dar's Badass again.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

...Spoilers...

He does magically recover - remember the bright light shining through his hospital window in the last ep of the previous season? A hackneyed omen of rebirth, right?

Well, from my perspective it's unfortunate that they've dragged his character into another season, because he's been nothing but a drag on the show, trying desperately to replace Brody, and failing badly. Unfortunately, this trend continues in the first new ep - his scenes are unbearable and the ep as a whole is very so-so. Dammit, I just hope Carrie doesn't go off her meds again!

3. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I found that episode rather weak too. In terms of politics and knowledge of the situation it seems like we've moved on considerably since the last season, but the show seems oblivious to all this and comes across as rather naive. Did the both incoming president and the CIA really have no idea of what their future policies would be?

Deesky likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, quite some time has passed (6 months or so?). The only glimmer of interest I saw was what was happening with the political side of things, especially the meeting where Saul was not invited. There's gonna be some shenanigans there for sure and Carrie will inevitably be brought into it. Perhaps her and Saul will team up like old times.

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I haven't seen the new episode yet and had no idea that Showtime had dropped it early.
    I stumbled in here, and oops!, the cat is out of the bag. In reality, it had been let out of the bag in one of the trailers, so it's really no surprise. I'm glad he's back. He's a glimmer of light, a character with integrity that adds some much needed balance to the disreputable Carrie. He's an intense yet noble character. He has great chemistry with Carrie despite her lack of integrity. This pair have far better chemistry than Carrie and Brody.

jeffgt14 likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ha, I completely disagree in all respects!!

Encuentro likes this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up on the episode, its nice to have something new to watch. Not sure I'm glad Quinn is still around. I really liked his character the first few seasons he was involved, but they've done enough with him. I agree he's been a drag lately. Not that I like Carrie, either. I guess at this point I just watch for Saul.

Can someone refresh my memory on who the lady Dar met with was? Are we supposed to recognize her and know what she does?

As for the terrorist sympathizer that was arrested and is being defended by Carrie's group, I really hope this doesn't spend much time as a legal drama. I'm not the least interested in that.

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I imagine Carrie will recruit him as an asset, have sex with him, and get him killed.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

:laughup:

I agree the opening episode is so-so: Mostly set-up, not much plot advancement.

I'm wondering, with respect to Quinn, if we can expect a Jack Bauer-type recovery when he's needed. You know: First episode strung out heroin user. A few hours later, working at full strength.

I sure hope Carrie doesn't go off her meds again. Mostly because: How many times can you go back to that same plot device?

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ask 24. Where would the show be without moles?

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Pretty underwhelming season opener. As unrealistic as it would've been, I was hoping Quinn would explode while being robbed and kick some butt. Well, my guess is it'll get better. I sure hope so, this is the last season, right? I sure hope Showtime doesn't pull another Dexter!

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nope. It's been renewed for seasons 7 & 8.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i hope they don't stretch the whole 'quinn" thing out for the whole season. 'ncis=la' did a nice job getting kenzie back into things rather quickly.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Quinn is a boat anchor for the show.

Jamey K and GentleSenator like this.
  15. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

My wife and I have been losing interest season-over-season. The beginning of last season, with a new setting, was a breath of fresh air. But, it lost steam at the end.

The new season premier was very blase. I don't know if we'll stick with it.

I also don't like the cinematography. They felt compelled to join the "dim" mob. You can hardly see a thing. It's very distracting. I keep asking myself (not only in Homeland; in many movies and shows) "can't they afford a light bulb or two?"

Scott222C likes this.
  16. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I actually enjoyed the first episode. I like the low keyed approach in setting up the plot lines for this season. In the real world Quinn would not have survived. But this is TV so I am not surprised. Having said that, I thought he did a great job acting like the proverbial Zombie. It would have been fun to see him take care of the guy robbing him, but implausible even on this show.

And yes, let's hope this doesn't become another 'Dexter'.

17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Not much action so far this season, but now we've got a little intrigue going. Guess it's gonna be a slow-burner.

18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The storyline about Dar and his cohorts versus the President Elect with Saul in the middle is interesting, but I really don't care about the legal wrangling over the terrorist sympathizer who was set up by the FBI informant. There's enough legal dramas on TV and I avoid them all.

Rufus McDufus and GentleSenator like this.
  19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I agree. Unless there is some tie-in, the kid in jail is mostly a distraction. I think Rupert Friend is doing a great job as a thoroughly messed up Quinn. Some fine acting in my opinion. I prefer the subtle and slower moving plot to some of the earlier seasons with more action. So far so good.

20. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

So far, this season is a snooze fest.

rjp likes this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

If you chop out the Quinn scenes, it was a pretty decent episode (well, the very last scene with Quinn and Carrie was somewhat redeeming). I like that so far it's playing out more as a drama rather then as 24 clone, though I suspect that will change in due course. I also liked the President elect maneuverings and the legal aspects around terror prosecutions. There is some good groundwork preparation here for future conflict.

22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

this is pretty much the established formula now. and like @Deesky mentioned: quinn is basically the anchor of this show.... even though i have no idea what the hell they could possibly use him for now.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The Brody character was soooo boring after season 1. At least I find myself rooting for the Quinn character.

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I just finished Season 5 on Blu-ray and as I don't have or plan to have again Showtime it will be with the release of Season 6 on disc that I will see that season, so I'm out of this thread til then.

Season 5 was a big improvement from Season 4. One nice thing was the season was finally filmed in the location the story takes place, this was actually filmed in Berlin. And it was shot in great locations in the city. Interestingly in the bonus features of the season discs it was noted that at the beginning of the creation of each season the creators meet with CIA and other hands-on insiders and for four days explore what is being talked of and worried about "in the hallways of power" and the story arc for a season is worked out to fit in with these parameters. This is the "tie to reality" that gives this show it's fundamental gravity and yet allows it to stand outside of reality as well.

My faith in the series has been somewhat restored with Season 5 and I'm looking forward to seeing Season 6 next year.

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i fear they will drag the whole quinn thing out all year, and it just isn't very interesting at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.