Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nah, it's Alex Jones. Bannon never had a talkshow/vodcast like the O'Keefe character and Jones does not infest the white house like Bannon. I can point you to many reviews which also finger Jones as the analog. I would agree that. physically, O'Keefe does look more like Bannon - perhaps it's a hybrid character which represents all conspiracy nut factions.

2. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I think the composite idea works. You said earlier: "No, it's clearly an Alex Jones analogue". Clearly? I stated my opinion and that of another observer coming to a different conclusion. So it's not that clear after all. And the fact that the character does not work for the WH means nothing -- when this was written they had no idea he'd work for the WH. And Alex Jones operation is nothing like the O'Keefe operation in scale and other details.

3. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

What seemed pretty obvious to me was that these people weren't Quinn's buddies. In fact the waitress called them the new bunch. But they do do the same thing that Quinn did. And they do live in the same house that Quinn used to stay in before missions.

Apparently, the diner he went to was one that he frequented back when he was doing wet work. He just didn't remember. After seeing the waitress, he was able to dig up where they lived.

Didn't seem too far fetched to me. Also, the lady who picked up Carrie was the prostitute from earlier in the season, not the waitress.

Chad

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not sure when the season was in the can, but given that Bannon was appointed to head Trump's campaign some time before the election, it's not much of a stretch do deduce that he would be an important player in the WH, so that could have been reasonably anticipated. Also note that The Good Fight was lalmost completely in the can before the election result (they had scripted around Hillary Clinton winning, as all the polls predicted), but they were able to make adjustments at the eleventh hour to incorporate Trump's victory into the storyline.

But the biggest mark against the character being Bannon is that Bannon is the opposite of a media whore. He would never rant and rave on a vodcast the way Jones does (and the way O'Keefe did in the show). Bannon prefers to be out of the limelight and to work in the shadows/background to push his ideological objectives.
    I think so too.

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone who thinks it was all brilliance in the past should just rewatch season three, where about 1/3 of the season is wasted on the story of the daughter who then, suddenly, fades away without any point to the arc whatsoever.

At least this season the plotlines all seem to have some relevance.

6. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Makes sense to me, since it all leads back to Dar Adal.

7. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I don't like what they've done with Quinn this season. His strength as a character was his sharpness of mind and spy skills. Who wants to see him in a basically retarded mental state? It's been a drag on the season -- bad decision by the writers.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Deesky likes this.
  8. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Seems to me that he's getting that back.

jojopuppyfish, BNell and Ted Bell like this.
  9. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying retarded. I think his cognitive skills are close to what they were, it's his speech centers that seem to be screwed up.

Chad

10. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

For some reason, I really enjoy him beating the crap out of people

ex_mixer and Ted Bell like this.
  11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Certainly preferable to seeing him do monkey impersonations! That was really sad.

Deesky likes this.
  12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Ugh. I'm just watching this show out of habit. When this season is done, I'm pretty sure I am too.

13. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I thought he did a very good monkey impersonation.

jojopuppyfish likes this.
  14. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I remember the daughter storyline getting a lot of grief on the imdb message boards (rip) I didn't mind it, little family strife to counterbalance the other crazy storylines going on. this season has been pretty predictable so far (and that was never a problem for homeland in the past) the acting is fine - claire always gives herself plenty of juicy scenes (smart lady (-: )

15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Pretty good episode. Setting Quinn up as an assassination patsy was a neat twist. Dar's going to end up being the hero. ;)

hbbfam and GentleSenator like this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

OMG, it was beyond sad! And it kept going on and on. It's also amazing how his paralyzed arm was able to extent up and support his body weight as he swung from the doorway!

Other than that, I thought the rest of the ep was quite good. In fact too good - that fake Alex Jones 'interview' was way, way too realistic and I seriously couldn't stomach much of it!

500Homeruns likes this.
  17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I thought Sol's caution to the Pres elect was well said (slight paraphrase) "You did change some minds, but you were not going to change his".

18. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Did Quin send in Carrie to the house knowing the guy with the hat was still there so he could kill him while 'saving' Carrie? Maybe he'll consider himself even with Carrie if he was in fact using her as bait.

500Homeruns likes this.
  19. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I think you are correct.

20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Really???
    :rolleyes:

21. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Just finished watching the season finale and I thought it was MUCH better than the last couple of seasons! It'll be interesting to see what happens with the president having a cobb up her butt. Dar was right! Really interesting season and definitely better than last. It's sad to see Peter go bye bye but that was kinda of predictable, you weren't gonna have a mentally handicapped person continue onto next season, even if it was him.

ex_mixer likes this.
  22. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

great finale. glad they clarified the context and extent of Dar's involvement (or lack of it) in the conspiracy, it definitely helped to complicate his character, or even it out. the next season seems pretty well set up..

ex_mixer and Twinsfan007 like this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Really good finale. Decent closure and a good setup for next season. I was worried the last 20 minutes would be a wallowing dull piffle, as has been the case in previous seasons, but it was very good.

Sad to see Peter go, but there really wasn't anything else you could do with the character, save a miraculous brain operation that restored full cognitive abilities (which would go too far for this show). He got his chance to go out in a blaze of glory.

Curious as to whether the new President is evil or not...Dar's comment about there being something "unamerican" about her was clearly significant...

I wonder if Dar gets out to fight another day?

24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I read an interview with the show runners where they said they were 5 episodes in when the election happened and they had to 're-think' the show's direction. I wonder what the original finale would've been like? Guess we'll never know!

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Very good episode. They finally got rid of Quinn - should've done it a season or two ago! The turn with the president was unexpected. I wonder where they'll go with that next season. It was a good way to end things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.