Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

One of several lies she told the Troll.

GentleSenator likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Liked this episode, especially Claire Danes' performance. However, you had to suspend disbelief to incredible levels to swallow the whole ransomware subplot.

A trained (ex)CIA agent uses her work laptop with all kinds of sensitive/incriminating information on it, totally unencrypted, to access 4chan, a notoriously skeevy website, and proceeds to download an 'image' from a random responder? Not even doing a virus check or having her machine 'immunized'? Yeah, really stupid, but so too was it to have the hacker reside locally and be a lone, unarmed dweeb that could easily be overpowered.

But, as I say, it was still exciting to watch in the moment. :)

3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm watching it tonight!

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

are you sure?????????????

5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It's not on here until Friday.

6. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Yea that was rough to watch. I'm ok with watching something completely unbelievable but that was straddling the line even passed that.

ciderglider likes this.
  7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

anyone else notice how the troll is the same actor who plays the token/throwaway boyfriend from walking dead?

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

That was a great scene!

sberger and rjp like this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yes it was.....very reminiscent of the scene when she put the knife into the back of brody's hand during the interrogation. (season 2, i think, not sure)

10. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I think Quinn did that.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you are correct....carrie was in the next room

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I just watched it. It had a few 'moments' but comparatively speaking, I thought it to be one of the worst episodes I've seen of this series so far. So before Carrie lowered the boom (did anybody NOT expect that to happen!?) I felt it was totally gratuitous to show her kinda/sorta getting hot when the nerd started groping her. Is the poor girl really that horny? The whole arc with President Keane, started last season, just feels weak. The actress playing the pres is so one-note, whenever Mandy Patinkin does a scene with her it feels like a shark swimming around a goldfish! A silly litmus test for me on ANY show is whether I hang around for the coming attractions, I been hitting delete as soon as the credits start to roll this season!;)

jeffgt14 likes this.
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

It's worse than that. Forget the unlikelihood that a trained spy would randomly click on something from an anonymous source on an anonymized website.

The file she clicked on was a .jpeg. And no .jpeg can itself execute malware or a virus. All modern operating systems take a .jpeg extension file at its word that it's just a .jpeg and so will open it with the appropriate image decompression software which won't run (or even look for) any executable code.

Yeah, it could be a file named something.JPEG.exe, and depending on how you have your settings, you might not see the .exe extension. But it's very very unlikely a trained spy would have their computer set up to allow that to slip by, either.

ciderglider and mrjinks like this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's true, but there may still be a vulnerability. If the file is a doctored jpeg, it may be possible to corrupt the jpeg encoding in such a way that causes a buffer overflow error in the decoder, which could then make the malware contained within executable. Perhaps a longshot, but not impossible.

15. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Carrie has always shown serious lapses in judgement, even when she's on her meds, back to season 1. Heck, she had an affair with Brody fer chrissake.

16. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

She admitted she screwed up as to the JPEG ... spur of the moment, unthinking thing. Her bad action there didn't diminish the show for me. All in all, a very good episode!

sberger likes this.
  17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

The fact that after 6 seasons the show is still watchable and at least moderately entertaining is impressive.

GentleSenator likes this.
  18. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Agree here. Last season she was more just a footnote. As a main antagonist, it's a bit rough. Wellington isn't much better.

19. kwadguy

They're really going full bore on the Carie depression stuff this year. It was kind of sad that she finally realized where she was and agreed to get treated, and then got pulled back in again.

20. kwadguy

Also noticed the Walking Dead call out in this week's episode.

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I was dreading them going to that well again for the sake of manufactured drama (again). However, this time it felt different. They had a decent reason for Carrie going off her meds - she didn't, as she built up a tolerance over the years. Reasonable.

But the other scene where they pulled off something different was where Carrie was freaking out, she didn't just rant and rave and walk off in a huff, she was actually honest and revealed her condition to that agent dude, which led him to reveal info about his ex and thus they were both able to bond and calm things down. I thought that was a great way to handle things actually.

22. kwadguy

Right, this season they aren't (yet) using it as simply a plot device to move things along. And, knowing people who are manic depressives, the scene with Carrie and her sister was pretty well done--it felt pretty real.

Given the show's history, I'm not convinced, yet, that they'll stay the course in terms of treating Carrie and her depression realistically. But this was a nice change.

23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i want to believe carrie is embellishing.

24. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

The new episode is out already online and on the Showtime app -- I guess because of competition from the Oscars tonight.

25. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah this was too much for me, the confrontation scene felt even more ridiculous I think we're headed for a complete Carrie mental breakdown scene complete with her trademarked lip quiver (aka emmy bait) I love her but we've down this road in different disguises several times

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.