Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yep, they've upped that dynamic in the latest ep, this time with her buying a cocktail of drugs from the trunk of a dude's car to combat the various side effects of each drug! It really is disappointing in that regard, but I still enjoyed the latest ep with all the s**t that went down.

2. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Well that was ****ing intense.

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Strong series so far. I liked a guy with a trunk full o' drugs.

4. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Huge fan of the show but the real fake news story of the crucified boy in Donbass was twisted beyond all belief. It was obviously fake news but wasn't used so that "ukrainians would justify the russian invasion" - the Donbass towns and villages were shelled 24/7 by ukrainian army by the time the story broke so the Donetsk/Lugansk, not to mention Slavyansk residents who never felt ukrainian to begin with and were always very pro-russian hardly needed any justification, and it was a minor story in the middle of very real tragedies that was soon exposed as fake news on russian TV itself. To use it as a example of covert GRU operation is...well far fetched to put it mildly.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  5. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

And yes, the lapdop striptease Carrie scene was hot.

6. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Is it me or is Brett O'Keefe totally based on Steve Bannon, even visually?

ciderglider and Lonson like this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not visually - O'Keefe doesn't look enough like an alcoholic, syphilitic corpse!

sberger and marmalade166 like this.
  8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

He's a composite of Alex Jones, Steve Bannon, and others.

Thomas D and Lonson like this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Another great episode. We're at the season midpoint now and I have to say. it's been terrific so far. This, and the previous ep, just flew by - I was disappointed to see the end credits!

The latest ep had some really nice surprises/reveals and I love how it all fits the overarching narrative on the intricacies of cyber warfare, mirroring real world events. If they can keep the quality going, this will be the best season since the show's early days.

10. DLD

DLD Senior Member

This season is steadily getting better as it progresses. Last episode upped the suspense quotient to Season 1 levels. Just an outstanding episode

11. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Another fine performance in the last episode from Carrie's quivering bottom lip, I wonder if it will win an Emmy this year...

Lonson likes this.
  12. misterdecibel

I agree, they've upped their game this year, particularly with the suspense. Nice plot twist this week.

The "crazy Carrie" thing is such a tired plot device at this point, it takes some skill to go to that well again without seeming trite.

13. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

At least the Crazy Carrie thing had somewhat of a purpose this time. Dante used it as a way to get close to her and connect with her.

14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The season has gotten better with each episode. While I still don't think it's anywhere near the 1st 2 seasons, I think it's WAY better than last year!

GentleSenator and DLD like this.
  15. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Pardon me, folks but "it's the russians" thing is THE most predictable and obvious plot for the 2018 american spy series. Makes you remember the "round up the usual suspects" Casablanca line. And as a real russian dare I say that Hollywood still films russians as ridiculous cartoons not like real people which is the main reason why Hollywood spy movies (or any movie which features russians) are viewed as comedy here in Russia and people are literally rolling on the floor laughing our commie hacker asses off. 1990's Russia House, a truly great performance by Pfeiffer and Brandauer was the only one that had almost no cheese factor but today's Homeland episode is back to the old levels of cheese. I love the show dearly but the scene between Ivan and Evgeny was as bad as any 80's Cold War film.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    mrjinks and Lonson like this.
  16. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

P.S. Is it just me or Carrie needs to get laid, like ASAP? 2 honey traps in a row but still no sex... :D

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  17. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Talking about Russia. Here's a trailer for 2015 russian remake of Homeland's first season. Based in Russia and the guy returns from chechen captivity - you know the rest. Replace CIA with FSB etc.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  18. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I never saw that twist coming. A great season so far.

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Shazza frazit. We don't get it until Friday.

20. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I was just thinking how good it would be to see a similar series but set in Russia. Thanks for this!

21. misterdecibel

Keep in mind this was filmed in 2017, and probably written in 2016-17.

22. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Wasn't american Homeland itself a remake of israeli series? At least Season 1. Anyway, Season 1 is very easy to transfer to Russia given it's war on terror, russian POVs kept for years in the chechen pits, the intriques among the secret services and politicians etc. Vladimir Mashkov, who plays "Brody" is a great actor with many superb roles in his resume but sadly the series itself wasn't so good. The second season is coming this year, probably they came up with the original script adopted to 2018 reality.

Rufus McDufus and GentleSenator like this.
  23. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Anyway, these guys have a real talent at keeping up to date with political trends of the day, despite some serious flaws that I mentioned.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It was written when it seemed that Hillary would easily win the election, but when she didn't, they had to rejig the whole season. And why wouldn't they decide to focus on Russian cyber warfare, given it was (is) such a huge part of the election's subversionary tactics (and still unfolding). This sort of destabilization has been going on for many years all over the world, but hasn't, to my knowledge, been tackled in depth before, so I think Homeland tackling this issue was fair game.

DLD likes this.
  25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i appreciate your perspective and input here. seriously!

antonkk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.