Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

quite possibly the best show on TV right now.

i am very interested to see where ti goes after the revelation of last night.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

I thought this week's episode (#3 for the season) was probably the least compelling of the three. Lots of wheel spinning in terms of plot development (although it was intense wheel spinning). I liked it, didn't love it.

I am not sure where they go from here, though. The cat is now out of the bag, so presumably the rest of the season will be devoted to a cat and mouse game between the CIA and Brody. But can that really move to another season?

3. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

One weak point was asking Brody to collect that muslim guy and give him a lift to a safe house. I can't believe Al Qaeda doesn't have a gorilla in DC to do such a dirty job without compromising a huge asset as Brody.

4. kwadguy

It was idiotic, and an obvious plot device. But as they say, you buy the premise, you buy the bit. I am still enjoying the show despite this, and last week's (text messaging from war room) oh-come-on moments.

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The characterizations on this show are so strong that I'm willing to suspend my disbelief at some of the plot devices. I agree with rjp that this is probably the best show on TV right now, especially with Breaking Bad on hiatus.

6. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Next week they have Brody washing cars. :D

7. kwadguy

Well, this week's episode was a surprise. I didn't think they'd advance the plot as much as they did...To be honest, I wasn't quite sure WHY they had to move in at the end...

8. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Not sure I like the direction they might be going with now.

9. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

10. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

At the end of that episode, my wife & I just looked at each other kinda shocked & agreed that we didn't expect things to move quite that fast. Very nice when a show does something quite unexpected. They could have milked this storyline the whole season.

11. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I was thinking about where this show might be headed.
    I am guessing that the same CIA higherups who made bad decisions in the past will now make a monumental one and attempt to use Brody as a double agent.
    My wife has continued to draw attention to the fact that the only times Brody has actually killed someone was to serve his immediate and total self-interest.

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

From the previews, it looks like they're gonna torture/interrogate Brody "off book." But they can't keep a Congressman missing forever. So my guess is that Brody won't break, and they have to let him go, because the whole surveillance/sting operation they were running on him was off-book and illegal. So he gets turned back loose, knowing that his cover is blown, but the CIA can't arrest him until he actually does something illegal.

14. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

That's what I was thinking too. I think the double-agent plot is the most likely.

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

He's already a double agent. He'll have to become a triple agent. :D

16. kwadguy

But what is he possibly going to be able to get away with if they let him go because he doesn't break? They can watch him like hawks and he's going to be useless as an operative. They can also bring him down instantly by making that video he recorded public--it's not like they don't have hard evidence...It might not be enough evidence to put him in prison, but it's enough to make him toxic on Capitol Hill.

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

They can't make the video public. Think about it: with the passing of George McGovern this week, we were reminded of the damage done to his presidential campaign when it came out that his running mate had had electroshock therapy. You think the CIA is going to make public that the potential running mate for the current Vice President, who is about to run for the Presidency, is a terrorist? As David said when Saul showed him the video, if this comes out, David loses his job instantly, for not having caught Brody before the suicide plot took place last season. And how can the CIA prove that Brody was wearing a suicide vest in the bunker? They can't. What law can they prove he has broken? They can't convict him for anything he has done, and they sure as hell can't make it public that a stitting Congressman is a terrorist double agent.

18. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Wow if Claire Danes & Damian Lewis do not get an Emmy nominations for just last nights episode I would be shocked. Powerful stuff..

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

mesmerizing to the nth degree.

the best conversation since deniro/pacino in "heat".

20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Agreed. I thought that there was no way that Season Two of this show could maintain the quality of Season One, but, so far, it has.

21. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

Some great twists again in last night's episode - so many secrets still to be revealed even though the big one is out since last week...

22. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

More of a 'filler' episode this week... are people losing their love for this show (no comments being made)? ;)

23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Living up here in Canada as I do, there's no way I can see any of this season until the Blu-Ray comes out next year. But I did enjoy the SNL parody skit. Wonder if the Blu-Ray will include that as a bonus feature? Does anybody even try to include Easter Eggs on discs any more?

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm in the same boat as I don't have that premium channel, I'm waiting til the blu-ray is released, as patiently as I can.

25. kwadguy

This episode was less frenetic, more developmental, but that's fine.

People I know haven't lost their love.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.