Homemade Contact cleaner? (deox-it)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vinyl13, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl13

vinyl13 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is there any DIY solutions for contact cleaner? :shrug:

2. JonP

JonP Active Member

I'm not trying to be a troll but why would you even want to try? The cost of the ingredients - at least anything that would do a decent job - would be hardly less than the cost of the real stuff and probably would cost even more given a tiny bottle of deoxit virtually lasts for life. When I can go into an electronics store and buy a small tube of Deoxit for the cost of a sandwich I just don't comprehend that there could even exist a worthwhile DIY or poor person's alternative. A bottle of isopropyl alcohol, for instance would cost me more than a small tube of Deoxit which would still be big enough to do my hifi, audio visual and computer systems for years.

Robin L likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Depends on how you use it and how much electronics work you do. I seem to go through about three large cans a year.

4. vinyl13

vinyl13 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I mainly need it for a speed adjustment screw that isn't working on my turntable. Hopefully it will help.

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The DIY solution for DeOxit is to trot on down to the Rat Shack and buy a can. I am incredibly cheap, but I always have a can on hand. And don't forget to get a can of compressed air while you're at it. Considering the nature of and the age of your Pioneer PL 450, I have good reason to suspect that DeOxit isn't about to fix what's wrong here.

6. JonP

JonP Active Member

Agreed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.