Honestly, why would anyone want forty thousand songs in their pocket?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

[​IMG]

jfeldt, nbakid2000 and melstapler like this.
  2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I can't imagine living without a lot of albums in my pocket. I have 2000 albums loaded on my iPod now and I'd love to be able to load 5000 more. I have about 10 different playlists and I almost always listen with shuffle by album. I never shuffle songs, can't stand that.

I can understand not liking to have a lot of albums if you pick what album you listen to each time. As good as the iPod's interface is, it's not great for browsing, but my CD collection is so big, it isn't browsable either.

Before I got an iPod, I carried a portable CD player and a book of 50 CDs. What a pain. Trying to change the CD on a crowded subway train was next to impossible. On a plane was pretty bad too. Inevitably, on vacations, I wouldn't have a CD that I wanted to listen too. I couldn't wait to get an mp3 player.

I'm one of those people who have been accused on this thread of demeaning music. I listen 4-10 hours a day and I rarely sit down and listen to an entire album without doing something else. If that demeans music, then I've been demeaning music for 40 years. As soon as I got a radio, music was in the background whenever I was home. I think more people listen like that that sitting in the sweet spot for dedicated listening sessions. Hell, I've never owned a stereo that was worth sitting in the sweet spot. That's really and audiophile thing and I'm not an audiophile.

JohnnyQuest and wayneklein like this.
  3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Bono from U2 told me to get an iPod a while back, but I never followed through. That song 'Day After Day' is great, gotta love Badfinger.

4. melstapler

Hey there fella, now ya don't know what in tarnation our true ages our, so don't go assuming. I'm talking physical age or soul age for that matter.

5. melstapler

Well pardner, I reckon anybody can be a DJ nowadays with this new technology. Heck I'm gonna buy one of these gadgets and become a DJ. I'll be wearing pro headphones and shaking my head around in spasms while I spin other folks' music. Call me DJ Mel.

6. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

No assumptions made. Hence I said "may well".

7. melstapler

There are probably 100 million songs on file sharing programs such as Ares, eMule Xtreme and eMule Plus. Why would someone click the buy button on iTunes and purchase the same mp3 when they can download the same songs and albums for free? The mp3 is being saved to the same fragile hard drive, which could crater at any given moment. Thankfully, I don't download or support the downloading of anything legally or illegally for that matter. However this question is directed at all of you "hip," "current" and "in-the-now" folks who prefer downloading over buying physical product.

8. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Who are they??? :confused:

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I enjoy the physical process of playing vinyl ..switching on mono blocks, waiting for the tubes to heat up, switching on TT, letting the stylus touch the record groove. Like baking bread, something organic about it.

melstapler likes this.
  10. melstapler

"They" are the folks who are knowingly or unknowingly tearing down our freedom flag of physical product.

11. melstapler

Alex, thank you. I wish the stylus of reasoning would touch the hearts and souls of these folks who use iPods and other devices to listen to music. You have excellent taste in both physical product and genres of music as well.

McLover and alexpop like this.
  12. melstapler

subzro, I have a sister near you. Have you been to ZT Records in Frisco? Your store Camelot in Little Elm is interesting, the guy mostly sells cassette tapes and some CDs.

13. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Ain't got no room for forty thousand songs.
    Got a rocket in my pocket.

troggy, wayneklein and melstapler like this.
  14. melstapler

When I met The Monkees, I thought about bringing some MP3s to have them signed. Then I realized it would be difficult for them to autograph an MP3, so I opted for a couple vinyl LPs and a CD instead. What was I thinking?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    Peter Pyle likes this.
  15. subzro

subzro Forum Resident

Hi Mel, cool, what a small world! I live near Eldorado/Hart Rd across from the football stadium.
    I actually wasn't aware of ZT but I will check it out this afternoon. :)
    I pass that Camelot place every day and keep meaning to stop in. I'll check it out and report back, thanks!
    Cheers
    J

melstapler likes this.
  16. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Again, wrong - I've spent more on vinyl these past 2 years than in quite some time. Again, as I said, my analog, tube - based rig sounds better than listening digital. But it's tough to take those LPs in the car, and much more convenient to listen to spotify in the office. Best of both worlds.

melstapler likes this.
  17. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Audiophile speak that means....
    "I tend to prefer something, and find myself quite adept at being able to totally ignore other bad things that other people find annoying"

ARK and octaneTom like this.
  18. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Haha, touché kevin :).

All I meant was I like my vinyl more - can't seem to get my digital tunes to sound as good.

kevintomb likes this.
  19. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Tom, was kidding...lol

A bit of sarcasm often helps!

I think though what is crazy, to everyone that prefers something or finds it to sound better, there is ANOTHER that will disagree.

Just when I get things dialed in and close to what I "think" is perfect, I get a second opinion, and frustratingly enough, I will get disagreement with some, total agreement from others etc.

I think we all "Judge", what is better on different terms.

octaneTom likes this.
  20. They've always believed the media and bought into the agenda whether it be local, national or international.

People haven't ever really thought for themselves now a person CAN but to quote Men in Black--A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

melstapler likes this.
  21. melstapler

How neat! Yep Eldorado, I remember that because it reminds me of the Neil Young title. There are a few other record stores around there that I like to visit, my sister has a big family, but still collects vinyl and CD, mostly classic country and western music. She even took me to see Randy Travis right before he had his first meltdown and I know she's run into him at Whole Foods a couple times because he lives in your area. Hopefully ZT is still in business, their location is a little past the bigger places. I always thought the one near you reminded me of a drug front, but the guy is so friendly and I believe he also deals in comic books and board games. I will have to ask her the names of those other stores we visited, I think it was called CD Universe or something close.

subzro likes this.
  22. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I think it mainly just comes down to convenience. I like knowing that I have all those songs available to me whenever and wherever I want. As far as "devaluing the music", let's be honest and realize that's just a matter of opinion. Not everyone listens to/enjoys/appreciates music in the same way. I can enjoy and appreciate the music listening to my iPod on the bus or train the same way I could at home on a stereo system. We each get our own enjoyment in our own way.

23. Harvest Your Thoughts

This has never been about digital versus analogue... just paying attention and avoiding the temptation to not pay atrention.

24. melstapler

With all due respect, why is your username thecdguy?
    Why not themp3guy instead?

25. Harvest Your Thoughts

Do you live in a train or a bus station?

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.