Honeymooners in September

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Jul 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

Looks like the orginal Honeymooners will be out on dvd in September or October. I hope they do this right.

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

*bang zoom...to the moon Alice*

:thumbsup: :D

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Can you post a link for your source?..Thanks!

4. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

When I was a junior in high school, me and a buddy of mine saw Billy Joel in concert in 1986. The running gag of the show was that Billy would start nearly every song with the chorus to 'Swanee River' followed by DA DA DA.....DA...Da......Da......and then launch into whatever song he play next.

I didn't realize 'til about 6 years later that this was taken from that classic Honeymooners episode where Ralph enters a 'name that tune' type of contest on a TV show. Because, of course, Billy Joel never acknowledged this fact, but I'm sure many of the older people and Honeymooner's fans in the audience got the joke. Me and my friend just thought it was damn funny. Great memory.

5. Michael

Forget the source link request...I found it at the Digital Bits..Looks like separate DVD releases and not a BOX SET??? Hmmm, I wonder how many episodes per DVD? Columbia House has 6 per DVD...I believe in the proper run order.:)

6. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Oh! You mean that song Ed Norton wrote?

Actually you didn't have to be older back in '86. For a long time, and I mean a long time probably from the mid 70s to mid 80s, the Mooners were on every night on our local NY station WPIX at 11 or 11:30 pm or after the Yankee game. Those same 53 (54?) episodes over and over. This was follwed by the orginal Star Trek. Considering Joel is a New Yorker, and a Yankee fan, its not hard to see how this happened.

7. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

"If I could just forget about the ball I could play a great game"

8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Yes, growing up in NY the great, late 70's schedule was:

11PM - The Odd Couple
    11:30 - The Honeymooners
    12AM - Star Trek (The only series, at least back then)
    1AM - The Twilight Zone

This schedule ran for years & years...

Todd

9. Michael

You betcha! I'd love Season DVD Box sets of the Odd Couple! I already have all the Twilight Zones...and i'm waiting on the Honeymooners! Great shows indeed!:thumbsup:

10. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

Holy Cow! I remember that schedule, watched everynight...

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Update: According to Martin Blythe of Paramount Home Video, the Honeymooners DVD set will be released on November 4th. This will include all 39 episodes of the Honeymooners series, but not the many episodes that aired as segments of the Jackie Gleason show.

Regards,

12. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I wonder how many *complete* episodes of "The Jackie Gleason Show"/"Cavalcade Of Stars" are extant. It'd be very interesting to see some of those make their way to DVD.

13. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Gleason: "Norton, address the ball!"
    Carney: "Hello, ball!":laugh:

Great stuff, that and Lucy are practically the only TV stuff from the '50's that still holds up today. Gleason and Carney were the Laurel and Hardy of their day. I look forward to seeing the DVD's. BTW, our CBS affiliate here in Vermont still shows the Honeymooners every morning from 9-10AM.

Evan

14. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hey Evan,

Please stop telling me things like that........ i'm already having a hard enuf time not packing my bags and moving to Vermont! :D

-Jeffrey :)

15. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

That, and OTHER things, eh Jeffrey!

Evan;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.