Hooters? (the band) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gotityet0, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Am thankful to them Hooters, as their cover of She Comes In Colors was probably the first time I'd heard a song by LOVE.

Had a cassette of a 1986 show from the Tower Theater and they did a tune called She Likes It With The Windows Down -- pretty good uptempo number that never seemed to come out on an LP.

gotityet0 likes this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Loved the Hooter and digging seeing this thread about Philly bands. First got the live Zombies single and then the Amore cassette. They were several years ahead of me at both my Quaker HS (GFS) and my college.

I believe the statement above about Bazillion marrying Hyman is inaccurate.

Saw them again at the final concert at the Spectrum five to ten years ago. It was an all Philly lineup that also had Todd Rundgren and Hall and Oates.

One of Us is an all time classic song Bazillion wrote that I find really meaningful and beautiful. Might connect with me even more sharing Bazillian's religious background as a Jewish person with a Quaker education.

And never mind the Lauper version or TAT, you don't get a better feather in your cap as a writer than Hyman penning a tune that Miles made a staple of the last phase of his career and transformed into a jazz standard.

gotityet0 likes this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Apologies for the mis-spelling of EB's name above. Auto-correct seems to have a field day with it :)

4. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Here's my Amazon review. Sorry, I don't recall how it sounded. I have since gotten rid of it.

"500 Miles" has a generous 24 tracks, but it's missing the hits "Karla With A K" and "Nervous Night", both of which can be found on the domestic collection, "Hooterization". Also, their fourth album "Out Of Body" is only represented by one song! It would've been nice if they had included "Twenty-Five Hours A Day" and "Boys Will Be Boys".

This collection has been digitally remastered.

serj likes this.
  5. misko

misko Forum Resident

Good Philadelphia band. Good song writers. Along with Robert Hazard , had songs covered by Cindy Lauper.

6. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

They did a 2CD compilation that does NOT include "Karla with a K"? That's just stupid.

Rocketdog likes this.
  7. KASHMIR

KASHMIR Forum Resident

Great band.
    Always liked their songs ever since I heard "All You Zombies".

Hooterization: A Retrospective is a great compilation.

8. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

The Hooters in Miami was always my favorite. I mean, parking garage attendants are beautiful in Miami, so you can imagine what the girls at the Hooters were li.....ooops. Never mind. :magoo:

9. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut Thread Starter

Great to see comments. :) Gonna have to spin some of their vinyl. :shrug: It's been awhile.

10. serj

serj Forum Resident

There is no info on original mastering (or remastering) at the "500 MILES" 2 CD compilation booklet:

http://www.discogs.com/Hooters-500-Miles-/release/6616155

So, may be there are no horrible remastering were done. I think this compilation still has the best tracklist, although the "Definitive Collection" from 1995 is also very nice.

11. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Love this band, there was something different to their music that hit the spot at the time. Think I will dig out the CD's and spin them. Nervous Night, Zig Zag and Out of body all have some great songs.

12. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Being from the northeast, I did not get into them until their Nervous Night album...saw them live with Huey Lewis...they put on a great show. Liked the song Satellite and got their best of CD...still listen on occasion....liked their power pop stuff best like Day By Day, And They Danced etc etc....any recommendations for a power pop fan like me?

13. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

No.

Atmospheric likes this.
  14. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Here's the original version of "Fightin' On the Same Side", you can hear the ska sound better here, than on the "Nervous Night" version.

swedwards1960 likes this.
  15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

All You Zombies and And We Danced STILL get played on Melbourne radio.

Purple and gotityet0 like this.
  16. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

The 2012 Playlist: The Very Best Of The Hooters CD is a nice (one CD) comp for casual fans too. Mastered by Vic Anesini and sounds very nice.

17. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Perhaps the problem with this band was the name?

krock2009 likes this.
  18. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

A couple of updates since this thread was created:

Robert Hazard died of Pancreatic Cancer in 2008, a few weeks shy of his 60th birthday.

The Hooters still perform. Rob Hyman has his own studio, Elm Street Studios in Conshohocken. Eric Bazillan does solo shows as well. The drummer, David Uosikkinen, started a project a few years ago called "In The Pocket", in which Philly and non-Philly artists perform renditions of classic Philly songs. A compilation was released a few years ago, and "In The Pocket" concerts are held regularly.

Richard Bush of The A's has a new band called The Peace Creeps, check them out if you can.

Tommy Conwell still performs with The Young Rumblers.

Surprised nobody mentioned The Dead Milkmen. They are still around, and have put out two albums since 2011.

Rocketdog and black sheriff like this.
  19. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I like Nervous Night, but my favorite of the Hooters albums I've heard is One Way Home. It rocks, but they spread their folk roots on pretty thickly, too. "Karla With a K" is a killer song. Zig Zag is also a strong album. "Give the Music Back" makes a bold statement.

Rocketdog and gotityet0 like this.
  20. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I agree. However, that is a sentiment that is apparently not widely held.
    I love "Beat Up Guitar".

Rocketdog and Atmospheric like this.
  21. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

The Hooters are one of my guilty pleasures. I personally like the way they have morphed from 80s power pop/ska to more of an Americana band.

For me, Zig Zag is the best record. A desert island treasure chock full of great songwriting, singing and playing. I also really dig Time Stand Still. How many bands can put out an original album this strong after being together for 20 years?

I'm not a completist, but I also really dig most of Nervous Night, about half of One Way Home, almost all of Both Sides Live and Time Stand Still. I thought Out Of Body was kind of a turkey.

I wish that I could have the entire Nervous Night VHS video as lossless audio.

22. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

:uhhuh:

It took me a dozen listens to find even a single "keeper" (Private Emotion) on that turd.

Atmospheric likes this.
  23. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I sought out Amore. I hadn't really given it much notice, figuring that it was the typical amateurish self-produced first record. I couldn't have been more wrong. It is very well recorded. I really like it.

24. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

bah!

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

They were a great reggae and ska band when they started--tight as hell, a hot, tense concert. I have a few of their live broadcasts. I was ecstatic when they decoded to issue Man in the Street, a demo that they recorded that was played on the radio and gave them their first airplay. It's a great car song. I liked Nervous Night, but I enjoyed their ska best (their first two indie singles were plentiful). I saw Eric one night shopping in a deserted grocery store after 10 at night; our eyes met, we just nodded at each other. It was obvious he was there to avoid fans.
    I knew their soundman. he said they were HUGE in Europe. They even were billed over Robert Plant at a festival.

krock2009 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.