Horror Soundtracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Former Scientist, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

This one sends shivers up the spine. Great box set of all three movie soundtracks.

[​IMG]

2. Parker Drew

Parker Drew Forum Resident

3. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Return of the Living Dead -
    Cat People

Snippet from Return...:

Holy Diver and Front 242 Addict like this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I always liked the score to Child's Play

pinkrudy and Front 242 Addict like this.
  5. tolkev

tolkev Rain Dog

Look for the soundtrack to The Day The Earth Stood Still, score by Bernard Herman. I know it's sci-fi but it heavily features the Theremin throughout and is one of the spookiest records I own. I play it every Halloween, along with aforementioned Goblin soundtracks.

[​IMG]

6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

The Shining

Mateo Sanboval, Dino, Mr. H and 2 others like this.
  7. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

I have a copy of the soundtrack to "The Bride of Frankenstein" on CD somewhere.

8. drasil

drasil Former Resident

distilled from their original, unused score to the film. coil were commissioned to score it, but the results freaked Clive Barker out so much that he then paid them not to do it.

as it stands, the record is a glimpse into the sonic territory coil would move toward in the following few years. great recommendation--and not a bad place to start with coil as a whole if you're not super familiar with their work.

Dino and Former Scientist like this.
  9. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels.... Thread Starter

Love the theremin. Saw John Otway last week, who used one to essentially produce f&rt noises during a song about the body. Such a waste!

10. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Richard Einhorn's synth score to Shock Waves is excellent.

Ditto for Goblin's Profundo Rosso and Suspiria

Classic scores like Bride Of Frankenstein and The Day The Earth Stood Still are well worth picking up.

Bernard Herrmann's scores for Sisters and It's Alive are some of his last and best.

Morricone's gialli scores for Bird With Crystal Plumage, Cat O'Nine Tails, Four Flies On Grey Velvet, and Lizard in A Woman's skin are very experimental and interesting.

11. Former Scientist

They freaked out Clive Barker??? Now I have to hear this !!!!!

drasil likes this.
  12. drasil

drasil Former Resident

well... for financial reasons, at least. he went down a much more traditional/commercial route with Chris Young in the end.

Former Scientist likes this.
  13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It is my understanding that Clive Barker was using Coil's original music until just before the film was released then made a switch to something a little less unnerving. It's one of my favorite things Coil ever did and is always played loudly in my home every year on Halloween while the hellions come trick or treating.

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

You beat me to it. Partytime rules!

15. serj

serj Forum Resident

'Nonhosonno" by Goblin is just amazing!!! Although most of their albums are just perfect:). Plus the "Near Dark" ost by the Tangerine Dream..

Mr. H likes this.
  16. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Halfwit and Former Scientist like this.
  17. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I've always been fond of the music for The Shining. Every piece helps to highlight each scene with the perfect levels of intensity, from the majestic piece that accompanies the drive through the Rocky Mountains to the eerie synth blasts that strike when Jack kills Dick Halloran with an axe. The whole soundtrack fits in with the movie so well.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  18. Former Scientist

How do you feel about 'songtracks' ?? I used to love the one for Christine, back in the day, George Thorogood and a lot of excellent fifties stuff in keeping with the killer fifties car theme...including my all time favourite song from that era, Bony Moronie....

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

My brain tends to mush Horror and Sci-Fi together.

If you want historical - which is never-the-less great music - then you need Bebe and Louis Barron's soundtrack (first wholly electronic score for a movie) to Forbidden Planet.

You can also now buy the Vangelis soundtrack to Blade Runner, which is essential, imo. The early album release was an orchestral version, but the real deal is out now.....

ps: You can buy a cheap two-fer CD set that includes the scores for The Day the Earth Stood Still, and Forbidden Planet.

Mateo Sanboval and hidden1one like this.
  20. Don't forget Libra's "Shock" or Carpenter's "Prince Of Darkness".

Oh yes and Walter Rizzati's "House By The Cemetery" or Fabio Frizzi's "Zombi 2" and "The Beyond".

Mateo Sanboval and Vaughan like this.
  21. That theme by Wendy Carlos was ironically originally written for A Clockwork Orange

hidden1one and bcaulf like this.
  22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I really should have mentioned these - especially The Beyond - in my first post. They're excellent.

I also forgot some other soundtracks........

Howard Shore's soundtrack to Cronenberg's Crash is one of the best out there, the use of guitar is astonishing, and truly captures not only the mood of the film, but of the source novel too. And while I think of Cronenberg other essentials are Videodrome and Naked Lunch. The latter includes Ornette Coleman, which just adds to the fun. I also enjoy the soundtrack to Spider - a film that seems to have been largely forgotten.

23. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  24. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Not sure if this is the sort of music you're after, but Paul Giovanni's soundtrack to The Wicker Man is worth listening to.

25. "The Whip & The Body" and "Blood & Black Lace" - 2 soundtracks to Mario Bava horror films from the early 60's are available on a 2-fer. Both highly recommended

Former Scientist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.