Hot Rocks or Singles Colection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by syogusr, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well Luke, since you have not answered the question, I assume you have NOT heard the mono mix of "Street Fighting Man". I rest my case.:)

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Grant, I've heard the wide stereo Beggars mix of "Street Fighting Man", the narrow stereo Hot Rocks mix, and the mono mix (I think--might just be the narrow stereo again) on the Singles Collection. To my ears there isn't really that big of a difference between 'em.

"Get Off Of My Cloud"? Now, that's another story. Sorry Luke, but IMO no amount of tweaking can save that stereo mix. Even if you bring up the rhythm track on the left and the guitar OD on the right, you've still got the former all squashed to the side and the latter (as well as the vocals) too isolated and reverb-laden. It saps all the power out of the song.

3. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I have, though (it's the one where the first chorus also has "harmony" vocals, right?) It's different...I've never heard it on great equiptment.

-D

4. Grant

The version the current Singles Collection is NOT the single version. It is the stereo version.

I have the original London mono 45. It is different from the stereo in many ways.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, it *can* be done. Not a perfect match for the mono mix (the vocals are still a tad in front), but still good punch and decent separation.

Satisfaction works pretty good as well...

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Still waiting for you to get back to me on my original questions...

7. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I have the original London 45 and the only difference I can hear is that the single is mono.

8. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

George Martin also recorded the early Beatles stuff on multitrack machines but mixed to mono. Without his or the Beatles knowledge, Captiol did their own "stereo" mixes which ruined the balance between the vocals & instuments that Martin had painstakingly achieved. It sounds as if the same thing was done with the early Stones material. I consider the mixing process to be an integral part of the recording process because of the artistic decisions involved.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yep. Only certain early pressings have the mix Grant speaks of. Later pressings and all LP/CD releases have the later/standard mix.

This isn't simply a mono/stereo issue.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Sigh...

I don't know how this story keeps getting repeated, but it simply isn't true. The only "stereo" mixes Capitol made were the Duophonic (fake stereo) ones, which were sourced from mono tapes.

Some people seem to think the early twin-track stereo stuff was "done for the USA", but in fact it actually came out in that form in the UK before it ever did in the US. Please Please Me was released in stereo about a month after the mono in the UK - April 26, 1963 to be exact. With The Beatles was released in mono and stereo on the same day in the UK, and ads for both albums featured the stereo covers. The thought that the stereo mixes were done for the US market is a myth started by people like George Martin. In fact, the UK almost always got *more* true stereo *before* the US did.

Oh, and George Martin was "Producer" at the stereo mix sessions, BTW.

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Getting back to the STONES, I have both stereo and mono mixes of "Satisfaction", and IMO, the mono always kicks butt. The acoustic guitar on the stereo mix is just mixed too loud, whereas on the mono, it blends in better with the song. Same with "Get Off Of My Cloud", this song sounds much better in mono, with perfect voice/instrumentation balance. I do have high expectations for the new releases, since the Singles Collection mono mixes are better in just about every respect than the stereo(except for maybe "Ruby Tuesday", man that is such a pretty song).

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Like I've said before..."as-is", the stereo mix is a bit weak. However, with some tweaking, can sound very good. You lose a bit of separation, but gain the balance of the mono mix...

13. Grant

Either you aren't really listening to it or you have forgotten what the song sounds like.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As I've previously mentioned, there were TWO mono mixes of the song. The original (which you seem to speak of) was pulled not long after the single came out.

15. Grant

Well, then, it appears I have an early pressing. Why was it pulled? And, how long was the original mono mix available before it was pulled?

And, is this true of both the US and the UK?

What is your reference?

I maintain that the original mono mix sounds better than the one you say replaces it.

It will be interesting to see which one shows up on the Singles Collectoion remaster.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Don't know how long.

It was not released as a single in the UK, at least not until 1971.

I've got a few:

http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/works1.htm

And James Karnbach's "The Ultimate Guide To..." :

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I have the mono 45 mix that sounds just like the LP version. I don't think I've ever even heard the "good" version before...

18. Grant

Well, I guess I got lucky! Now, I hope it shows up on the overhauled Singles Collection. I'm almost counting on it!

Trust me, the original mix is MUCH better. Why they switched it out is beyond me. Perhaps the answer to that is in one of those links Luke provided.

19. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Grant,

How would you describe the differences of the 2 mono mixes? How is the original one that much better in your opinion?

Thanks!!

20. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Again, if this is the one I'm thinking of, the vocals are more "fierce" throughout the song (and the backing vocals are brought up sooner), and there's a LOT more punch to the drum track...I remember thinking at the time that it sounded like an additional overdub (to make up for the cassette noise of the actual track).

-D

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, keep in mind that the only thing from cassette on that song is *probably* the rhythm guitar in the right channel, if that. The drums were certainly done in the studio on multitrack.

22. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Grant,

I found it in the link in 1968. It is a short annotation to a U.S. 7" mix with a slightly different vocal mix. No other details.

Bob

23. Grant

Todd,

It's the same recording. The first mono mix sounds more like a Stones song. It has more bass, the vocal is further back into the mix, the guitars and sitar are louder, the drums are louder, the whole song also runs much longer. The piano is much louder and the whole thing is more dynamic. It sounds more like a hit record.

The mix you guys are familiar with sounds very weak in comparison, mono OR stereo.

I have no idea which version was played on the radio back in the 60s.

24. Grant

Yup, this is the one I have!:)

25. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Thanks, Grant! I hope it's included in these new releases. I especially hope with all these "repeats" of the same songs on several discs, they use different mixes...

Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.