Hot Rocks or Singles Colection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by syogusr, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Yes, now I too am sufficiently intrigued that I really hope the first "SFM" single mix makes it onto the Singles Collection. Of course, ABKCO being ABKCO, I won't be holding my breath.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The only reason I can come up with is that the LP mix was getting a lot of airplay and someone wanted people who bought the 45 to get the same thing they heard on radio. So, they folded down the stereo mix.

Too bad! the original mix is classic Stones more so than the stereo mix.

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Dear ABKCO, bring 'em on...

4. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

WOW!!!

Grant is right! About a year ago I came across an original US "Street Fighting Man" 45 in superb condition, but it wound up mixed up among my 45s and I forgot I even had it until I read this thread.

After I read Grant's comments I frantically dug thru my records and found it, cleaned it up and slapped it on ...

It is indeed the "first" and -- Grant is right -- MUCH better mix.

The first thing you notice is that the first tom-tom drum hits are a lot drier and much more upfront and powerful. When Mick's vocals come in, they seem a lot farther back, and the double-tracking sounds different; the one that's farther back in the more familiar mix is more upfront in this one. This mix does have a lot more power and the sound is much more appropriate for the song.

I can't believe I was sitting on this without even knowing it! It sounds great ... I'm going back to play it again! ...

5. Grant

Thanks for backing me up, Jeff! You all, who have not heard the original mono mix don't know what you're missing. Who cares if it's not stereo. It's POWERFUL!

Again, whoever made the decision to switch the mix is an idiot! This song could have been a bigger hit!

6. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I seem to recall on the LP version that right after the first chorus, after Jagger sings "ain't no place for a street fighting maaaaaaan", he sings "no".

Either this "no" is not on the single or is less obvious than on the LP version, maybe slightly obscured by something in the single mix Grant speaks of. Can someone check this out? I searched in vain for my old blue London 45 last night.

7. Grant

Dave, it's all there on all of the mixes. His vocals are just buried in the music on the first single mix, the way I like it anyway.

8. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Aha, now it's all coming back. When I heard the stereo version on Hot Rocks, the vocals began to emerge from the dense musical fabric.

I agree with you on burying the vocals. I think I'll devote a separate thread for this.

9. Grant

Good idea! Some people seem to like the vocals above all else. I tend to like the vocals further down in the mix. That's the way I mix songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.