House of Cards on Netflix [Caution: Current Season Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by [email protected], Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm four episodes in and still enjoying it, but actually getting a little bored with the familiarity of the political gamesmanship. Too much like the news, which I get enough of. I'm also disgusted by politics as a professional sport aspect of our country. I think It deserves better.sorry, don't want to makes this a political thread. I hate politics.

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm eight episodes in and I'm enjoying it well enough, but I feel like the revelation about Frank's past in the college reunion episode was the first unexpected moment in the show. Otherwise it's a lot of scheming and backstabbing that delivers the rather unsurprising message that politics is corrupt.

I also feel that while Kevin Spacey does Kevin Spacey better than anyone, the casting is a little too obvious. It might have been more interesting with someone whose manner is more benign or charming, or at least with an actor that hasn't played this kind of role before (and could be a revelation a la Bryan Cranston in "Breaking Bad"). Spacey's every line reading is so snide, it's hard to imagine anyone can take him at face value when he's manipulating them.

3. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I agree. I am a big Spacey fan, but the dialogue isn't all that compelling. I am up to ep.9 and it has held my interest, barely. It just really isn't going anywhere. There is a similarity to the (sadly) defunct series "Boss". Perhaps a little more plausible, but less compelling. You get an actor like Kevin Spacey, you need to have the writing keep up with him, and this just doesn't.

4. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

It's based on a BBC series from the 1990s, but I couldn't possibly comment on that.

tmtomh likes this.
  5. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Funny you should mention that - I'm now watching (and addicted to) the BBC original as well!

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm also at episode 9 and on hold for the moment. I'm not burning to get back to it, but I will at some point, I think.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just finished season one. It's a good show, but the last three episode took a plot turn which killed the series for me. Became way too standard Hollywood fare. If they hadn't turned to such melodramatic plot twists, I would have liked the show better. But it's worth watching for Spacey and Robin Wright.

8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

After the dreadful episode 8 (IMO) with Frank and his buddies singing and getting drunk, I thought episode 9 was a big improvement. I thought the relationship with the girl reporter and Frank finally became a bit more reasonable. I am now curious about the plot turn in the last three episodes. Again, this is a series with terrific actors and a mediocre script.

9. jkeigs

jkeigs Forum Resident

I watched them all in four days and really enjoyed them. I was curious about the economics behind the production (Netflix producing vs paying to stream others produced content) but figured that they must pay studios a good chunk to stream a seasons worth of content and this ties a user to Netflix for at least a month of streaming. Interesting idea and I wonder if it worked out for them?

10. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

11. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident Thread Starter

for those two People who have that 25K set and a very fast conection

12. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I know, but it is nice to see and hear that a producer and provider are both interested in a superior streaming experience. I have a cheapest Comcast internet with promises 15mbps and just delivered 51mbps and watching House of Cards streaming 1080p from a Roku 2 XS on my bottom of the line 58"plasma looked AND sounded great. I was even surprised to se the Dolby Digital Plus logo on my receiver.

13. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident Thread Starter

right now only the fast connections can stream 1080p 4k is not close to Possible now

14. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I'm in the next to last episode now. I'm loving it...can't wait for the next season.

15. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Excellent show so far, I'm 4 episodes in and I'm hooked. I've been a fan of Kate Mara since her memorable turn in Transsiberian.

16. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Thanks to the OP - been really enjoying this show, whose existence I only became aware of after seeing this thread.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

"Luckless Pedestrian' Great name! I immediately hear the Dan playing in my head!

18. 905

905 Senior Member

I have Netflix steaming again, and started watching House of Cards a few nights ago.
    I'm six episodes in and love it.

19. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I just bought season one for $21.99............I like it so far.

20. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Finally digging into this...5 episodes in. I've decided that Kevin Spacey is in my Top 3 of American actors currently working.

905 likes this.
  21. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I finished watching the first season last week. I am hooked as well.

22. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

When does the new season start? I am looking forward to it.

23. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

February 14.

JorgeGvb likes this.
  24. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

Watched first two episodes of season two...I'm breathless

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I watched the first three episodes of Season two tonight. Glad that in the first episode that a "problem" get cleared up. But after all those dramatics, now it's shifting into a treatise on the American political landscape? It's very strange. I don't know how they think they can shift from KISS KISS BANG BANG into Civics 101. I don't know. The whole show is a little cockeyed and whacked out in someways. The melodrama strains its credibility to the point of embarrassing its other half --- the political thinker it hopes to be.

Solaris, drasil and chodad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.