House of Cards on Netflix [Caution: Current Season Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by [email protected], Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Second season was terrific!

JimC likes this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Very interesting! So if you're sitting at home, you don't care if a movie is ten hours long. But if it runs much over 2 1/2 in a theater you start to squirm.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, really. His name should be President Merkin Muffley.

minerwerks and Solaris like this.
  4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

It is kind of funny how different the attitude is comparing TV shows and movies and how long they are. I've got friends that refuse to watch movies that are 3 hours long but have no problem binge-watching an entire season of Breaking Bad in one day.

5. That goes down to taking the, at your own pace and the fact that you can Walk away at any time, fast forward, etc.

It reminds me of the same people who squawk at reading a Thomas Pynchon novel vs. a 1000 page Stephen King novel--in one they can skip makes rations and never lose the "meaning" and in the other it'll cost them understanding the novel.

Every moment is more likely (to me) to matter in film since they have to compress the story so inch while in a TV show they have room to "breathe" that might not be quite as essential.

6. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I finished the season and overall loved it. Was sad when it ended and am looking forward to Season 3. I was not happy with the ending. I like to see justice occur and a..h...s defeated quick. But it sets up nicely for next season. There are threads floating around that could bring justice in Season 3 (Rachel and the hacker nerd guy, as examples). I was glad to see what happened to Stamper and that a reverse sort of thing did not happen as to Rachel. Good for her! I hope she's appropriately happy now and not on some guilt trip.

I was kind of hoping the hacker guy would bring down Underwood's whole house of cards at the end, but maybe next season.

I'll probably watch again as unless one is watching with complete undivided attention and total concentration, some of the complexities of the elaborate manipulations may escape a viewer.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    DLant likes this.
  7. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I am four episodes into Season 2...and I fear the shark was jumped at "that moment" of Episode 1. Not digging it...but sticking with it.

drasil likes this.
  8. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Stuck it out, and it got a LOT better after episode 4. For me, the cybercrime storyline was crap, and gummed up the works, but once that was out of the way, things got on track nicely.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Finally finished watching seasons 2...

Ultimately, I'm disappointed in a number of things this season. But most come down to two types of issues:

1) Interesting plot lines that get dropped after consider airtime
    A) The reporter who went to jail
    B) The ribs guy who got shut down
    C) The aid/girlfriend of the congressman who was killed who got pushed out and disappeared from the show
    D) The cybercrime guy. What was the point of all that?

2) Characters that assuredly do not act in a realistic manner in the interest of moving the plot
    A) The richest guy in America decides to do a mea culpa and send himself away to prison?
    B) The Democratic Congress turns on their own President and falls in line for impeachment over the fact that the President was having marital problems and might have taken a prescribed drug that wasn't even shown to have affected his ability to govern?
    C) The artist who turns himself into a laughing stock to appease Clair
    D) The "press secretary" who finds out about Clair's abortion and uses it just to get a job on staff?
    E) The President decides to resign for...really for no reason whatsoever. He did nothing wrong. He didn't cover anything up, and he had no part in what was happening.

In terms of arc, it's clear where this is going: Seasons 1-2 were about the machinations to the top. Season 3 will assuredly be about the collapse of the foundation and fall.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  10. I'm half way through Season 2 at the moment. I think the show is excellent but I'm struggling to really enjoy it. The main reason is all the main characters are so downright unpleasant. I'm not sure which one I dislike the most, Frank or Claire? Nobody deserves to be raped but when it was revealed that this happened to Claire I didn't feel sorry for her one bit. Horrible, horrible people.

11. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Season three is suppposed to up on Netflix today. Anyone going to check it out. I'm anxious see what President Frank Underwood is up to.

Are you going to binge watch it or take it slow. My son and I like the show a lot so we will probably watch 1 or 2 episodes tonight and take it slow.

DLant likes this.
  12. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Yep, Season 3 is up.

Cannot wait. Wife and I will open a nice bottle of red and enjoy.

13. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Binging now.

14. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident Thread Starter

time to sign up again

15. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Back from work. Binge time again. :-popcorn:

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Any no spoiler (it's too soon) reviews of season three?

17. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Holy crap....I've been watching all night into this morning....I just can't stop!

18. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Started 3 last night. Done today. Meh.

19. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Three episodes into season 3 and it is pretty good. Will have a better opinion when we finish it.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm 7 eps in and it's pretty good. In fact, I'm enjoying it more then season 2 so far. Things really shift gear from around episode 4.

DLant likes this.
  21. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

23. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Collor palette notwithstanding, I'm two shows in and like Season 3 so far. I can't wait for the gear shift in Episode 4.

Frank actually seems a bit vulnerable at times, but I bet that changes.

DLant likes this.
  24. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

:agree:

25. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I like the Sesame Street parody with "Frank Underwolf". :)

905 and DLant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.