How a child almost died in my living room... needle jumping

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ghostworld, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

It's only a matter of time.

2. Claude

Claude Senior Member

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

You see, this is exactly what happened to Rosemary Woods. It's those little red buttons you can't resist...

PHILLYQ and Bill like this.
  4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Is this "in my (your) mind" or a statement about what you perceive to be someone else's attitude (or what they think)? Self directed? As far as your bountiful harvest I just spent a week with the Boy Scouts in Rhode Island where I witnessed fifty five scouts (age group eleven to eighteen) working as hard on projects and fun as anyone I ever met. If you perceive a problem with youth there are organizations who would very much like to make use of your time to the benefit of everyone (not just scouts).

I have developmentally delayed four year old twin boys (and a twelve year old who thinks he's twenty one). I also own three turntables and several stereo (and home theater) systems some of which are ready reach to anyone in the house. The better stuff I keep secured as required. I love my boys and know full well that anything can happen with the twins around. I do coddle them, they need the support and understanding. They will grow out of their delay. And they do have structure between school, speech and occupational therapy. My home is like "Grand Central Station" friends and family are arriving and departing all the time. I have a dog and three cats. I am not involved in audio as a profession. I love music but the people in my life will always be first.

Bill is referring to a common internet meme for someone who is grumpy and dislike youths. Growing up in suburban Long Island every neighborhood has/had at least one of these. Lawn = lawn. No straw man here (IMO).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    Linolad and Billy Infinity like this.
  5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I am certain that you can do more serious damage to a child by overreacting than he or she can do to a record or turntable.

Tim 2, October Man, PHILLYQ and 4 others like this.
  6. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

That's great. Boy Scouts. Somehow I don't think that's representative of the age group cohort you cite. Do you think that it is?

My job involves working with 18-to-22 year olds.

Does "coddling" include teaching them they are entitled to screw with other people's possessions or otherwise handle them without explicit permission? Generally speaking, that's what is being discussed here, not 'support and understanding.' Of course kids need 'support and understanding.' Do you somehow think that is the topic of this thread? Do you think reading skills might be among the concerns that supervisory adults might include with those projects you mention above?

Very nice. And this is relevant to the topic being discussed how?

Sure it is. By repeating the meme in the spot he did, he sought to denigrate the argument I was making by inferring I was that type of person. If you'd read my reply, you'd have seen that I have no problem with playing on lawns and if I had one, no problem, children are welcome.

Children who are rude, disrespectful, entitled and coddled by 'modern' kinds of parents who've let their children turn into individuals who think nothing of damaging, using without permission, or even stealing other people's property and suggest, as you seem to be doing, to 'just chill' since 'people come first' are, of course, unwelcome, as are any 'adults' who've raised their children to behave that way. Good luck with 'the people in your life will always come first' if those people include what I just described.

Micke Lindahl likes this.
  7. JNK

JNK Well-Known Member

Sheesh, kids'll be kids. How else are they supposed to learn?

8. EdogawaRampo

Well, let's see, by having parents who are adults themselves maybe? That might be a good start.

Micke Lindahl likes this.
  9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Surprised no one has brought up this part yet.

What Tina Turner LP was it?

10. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Bingo. You mean like the OP leaving a 12yr old that knows nothing about a tt alone around his prized possesions. Then suggesting capital punishment as a penatly when the boy makes a game out of something he has probably never seen before.

I think they both could have learned something from this but instead he suggests a violent outcome. I agree with you that it is the adult's responsibility to understand and teach that understanding where it was lacking.

And to reiterate, music is emotional. I don't just sit in the sweet spot or tippy toe around my room when the tt is spinning. Fix his TT isolation.

With that, I also agree that this thread has run it's course. I'm out.

Scott222C, floweringtoilet and Bill like this.
  11. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Over generalized statements are always false. And the Scouts I mentioned are part of the age group.

I would have thought this would have made you more sympathetic as life is more complicated than it was just a few years ago. My job involves working with all age groups.

My twins don't listen very well and have poor impulse control. Some other children have the same problem. Some adults have a problem with it as well. Some people like to "screw" with other peoples things, its not right but being prepared for it is just part of life. I am aware of the topic of this thread. You lost me on the last sentence. I have read the entire thread. The thread title suggests homicide might be an option for some.

Children grow up and become adults. Some even grow up to sound like you! Every generation has a few. Takes all kinds to make a world I guess. Also as it relates to having stereo stuff and records about, adults also break stuff.

In my opinion he was pointing out how similar you sound to the meme.

Of course this is your opinion. Glad I don't share it with you. As it is my children are going to be just fine and you have nothing to fear from them.

12. Schoolmaster Bones

My son seems to have survived his "coddled" childhood, and enjoys collecting and listening to vinyl on his own system at his own place now. In fact, he's more finicky about vinyl care than I ever taught him to be. Go figure.

Ntotrar likes this.
  13. Schoolmaster Bones

...my son's cat, on the other hand, is still a work in progress.
    [​IMG]
    Bad kitty!

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

A pretty good live one I stumbled across. Ever since the Stones "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out" I've had a thing for live Ike and Tina.

Schoolmaster Bones likes this.
  15. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

Probably - Break Every Rule!

Claude and sunspot42 like this.
  16. Schoolmaster Bones

Nice. I recently scored a clean original press of their "Come Together" LP.

That thing smokes!

17. The Entertainer

The Entertainer Forum Resident

I love my records and cds, but at the end of the day it's just stuff.

Ntotrar, Bill, Billy Infinity and 2 others like this.
  18. EdogawaRampo

Oh give me a break. You know as well as I do the thread title was tongue-in-cheek. Using it to castigate the OP is akin to a corrupt cop using a joke or mock "yeah, right, I did it" admission by someone falsely accused as "evidence" of guilt in court.

Oh puhuleeeeezzzzzz...suggests a violent outcome? So you've never uttered or vented using violent terminology when you never intended actual violence? Congratulations! You must be the only one. Again, I'm going to suggest work on reading skills, especially decoding for context. I'd be willing to bet that the OP was venting and did not and would not be violent to a neighbor kid. Had you read his or her initial post, it read, "That little brat caught an earful quick." How do you interpret that phrase? Did the OP attack the child with a weapon? Ya think?

Cop-out alert. It is IMO the parents' responsibility. Doesn't seem like many Americans these days are down with that anymore. And again, to my mind that's the reason for some of the things that are making the country such a laughingstock when viewed from abroad, where I live. As an American, it makes me sad and angry to see the collapse of the simple basics that were a part of a child's training in times gone by. I guess it's true -- you get the society you deserve. You tacitly give your kids license to disrespect other people's property with no consequence and you get adults who feel entitled to anything and everything. Good job with that.

It may surprise you to know that is easier said than done in many homes. I have pretty superior isolation including: concrete blocks (treated with sealant to prevent concrete dust release), a hard wood rack, a Ginko Cloud isolation platform and I use a heavy turntable. Yet, someone determined could still make the tonearm jump with a concerted effort directly in front of the tt -- for example, someone jumping up and down in front of it. (!)

But while I agree the OP needs to work on TT isolation, I'll add fix some parenting to include a tiny bit of consideration for things that don't belong to the kid while inside someone else's house for chrissakes. Is that such a completely alien idea to you 30-or-40 something parents? You let your 12-year-old and older kids screw with your neighbors things and it's all cool? Wow. Good job. Good parenting.

nbakid2000 and Micke Lindahl like this.
  19. EdogawaRampo

Excellent post. So the OP telling neighbor kids in no certain terms not to jump around the TT is a scarring, damaging event that will hurt the 12-year-old's emotional development?

Really? I have to call BS again. You do not belive what you posted.

But then again, should we call social services? Get them involved?

No, just call the police. The police need to be involved in this, don't they? I'm sure you would agree so damaging, hurtful a reaction needs law enforcement involvement, right?

20. Schoolmaster Bones

Here's a question I'll throw out to anyone reading this thread:

If you were forced to choose between an afternoon entertaining a bunch of hyperactive kids, or listening to EdogawaRampo's rants, which one would you opt for?

Ntotrar, Billy Infinity and utahusker like this.
  21. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Sid, I'd like to use a Lifeline.

22. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

If one of his posts were an LP, I'd be jumping up and down as it played.

sunspot42 and Strummergas like this.
  23. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

That's too easy... the gratitude from the other half for taking care of kids for the afternoon is a reward beyond measure.

24. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

The kids didn't actually touch the turntable, right? They jumped, got a cool(for them) sound, and repeated.

25. Schoolmaster Bones

I remember when I was the one stuck with my 12-year old and all his buddies. There were always the parents that wouldn't show up to collect their kids until hours past the pick-up time. I could just imagine all of them hanging out in a bar somewhere, laughing about my predicament.

PHILLYQ, Ntotrar and Colin M like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.