How and how often do you use audio test discs/files and which one(s) ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Mar 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

My main use for audio test discs is to establish that all the speaker drivers are working are in phase and balanced. I usually check this a couple of times a week. Another obvious use is to check my hearing ability as to frequency range.

My favourite disc has for a long time been the Denon.

Because lately I have been using my iPad and iPhone to feed my system via my Audioengine b1 I downloaded the Audio Test Tones by Audiolab. I find it very useful and well suited to my needs.

What are your choices ?

hi_watt likes this.
  2. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I use a Stereophile test disc only when I make changes - sometimes not for months.

3. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I also use a Denon disc, and it is mainly for channel check, and phase.

4. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

When we say Denon disc, are we talking about the Denon audio technical disc from 1984? I do like that one.

hi_watt likes this.
  5. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Yep, the digital audio check disc.

6. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I only use during setup or when I make any significant changes. Several times a week seems like overkill to me.

7. timind

timind phorum rezident

I ran one of the Stereophile discs just a while ago when I wanted to check out a recently installed sub. It was the first time in years.

8. Miha Podlogar

Miha Podlogar Well-Known Member

STEREO TEST-CD (single!), from 1988 German STEREO Magazine.

9. Khorn

Went to a high end show years back. Noticed something a bit off in one room and discovered the woofer in one of the main speakers wasn’t functioning. Surprised they checked it out and fixed it. If they would have just checked it at set up they would have been spared an embarrassing and potentially costly snafu.

10. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I have a stereophile test disk which I have used only a handful of times over the years. I just don't find any need to use it unless something happens to sounds "off" with my system, and I need to send some test tones through it to help to diagnose what is wrong. It's not like speakers will suddenly go out of phase all on their own anything.

11. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

I use both Shure and Ortofon test LPs, primarily to evaluate new styli and make tracking adjustments if needed.

12. Khorn

Audio Test Tones by Audiolab has some interesting drum tracks both mono and stereo.

13. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I set the speaker/room "loading" and toe in using "Famous Blue Raincoat" with Jennifer Warnes. I trained for ten years with Sumiko using John Hunter's "Master Set" speaker to room tuning method. This is what he recommends for finding where upright bass AND female vocals "load' the room properly to maximum realism and clarity without harshness.
    After I retired 12 years ago I spent five years more on just MY room using what I learned with Sumiko---looking for the "perfect" spot to make the speakers sing.
    I found it.
    It was one of about four positions that would have worked nicely as far as furniture went.
    But it was where the entire room "lit up" with a lovely "alive" sound that I crave.
    It was in 3D and holographic and "tactile" and "palpable."
    If that means anything to you perhaps you too should study how to find where "X" marks the spot. It will require fresh ears every morning and a LOT of patience moving boxes.
    NEXT.
    I then use a MONO CD of Frank Sinatra singing his first hit "I'll never smile again" to establish that the center channel (phantom) is tight, clean, with no blurring.
    A very nice "real sounding" center channel will really make stereo lock in where the soundstage is.
    It should not have any boom or smear to the left or the right. Just the illusion that a very real center speaker is sitting there.
    NEXT.
    I use Frank Sinatra "Live at the Sands" to see if the mix is crystal clear and all the instruments accounted for. If not I know I have work to do.
    Frank should be alive in the center with bass/guitar/drums directly behind him on the stage at the Sands.
    The brass is on the right, saxes on the left along with Count Basie.
    It should sound like you are "there" at the Sands especially the audience hand claps etc.
    NEXT.
    I use Eugene Ormandy's version of the Nutcracker with the Philadelphia Orchestra to establish that it sounds exactly like a center balcony seat at Carnegie Hall.
    The orchestra instruments should be precisely as they are usually set up for symphonies---double bass on far right, then cellos, horns flutes in the center, then second violins then first violins then on the far left things like the harp and bells should be floating in their own space.
    That's it for digital.
    For vinyl I use HiFi News test vinyl record to set up carts.
    After I think all is right and the cart is loaded properly I will compare the overall tonal balance of a known CD and the original on vinyl.
    The timbre should be identical with the nod going to the digital version to set the bar as to what the tones SHOULD sound like.
    I have an excellent Bryston DAC and trust that if the CD transfer of my comparison test was not done improperly then the CD should be spot on.
    And the vinyl should sound IDENTICAL if a bit better and clearer, ha ha.
    Now you know what a pro uses.
    All this takes a ton of time to learn and use and perfection requires sweating the details.
    The payoff is a system that kicks hiney.
    When all is complete I only check the MONO center image occasionally to see if my amps are "wandering" or to see if an internet station or a mix is "off center."
    I always want to hear a correct mix and sometimes you have to use the balance control to find out where the true center is.
    Not all media has the center in the correct spot consistently.
    That's why I check the center once in a while.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    oboogie, Thouston and Khorn like this.
  14. Khorn

I just downloaded THE SHEFFIELD/A2TB TEST DISC - “MY DISC” from iTunes. This one’s a real gas! It features some really good music tracks as well as a whole bunch of unique and useful test tracks. It’s one bundle of useful fun. Check it out.

15. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Test disc (for CD player) vs records are available?

16. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I use the Alan Parsons MOFI test disc.
    About once every three to five years, after a major system change, to check phase, and frequencies. A
    And about twice a year or so to bias output tubes using a drum track played in mono.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.