How can David Crosby be broke?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadbirdie, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

I'm amazed on his upcoming Solo Acoustic tour front row VIP tickets are $600 after TM fees. It would not be bad if you got to meet and greet but it is not included.

- Front Row Ticket To The Show
    - Early Entry (where available)
    - Exclusive Autographed VIP Merchandise
    - $100 Gift Certificate To The Official Online Store
    - Collectible VIP Laminate.
    - David Crosby CD

2. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I've actually heard the 911 audio of Crosby's call after the accident (which our local TV deemed newsworthy apparently).

I give him kudos for being a responsible citizen and a caring person. He stopped his car as soon as he hit the jogger, called police, explained the situation and actually demanded that an ambulance be sent ASAP, and remained to render aid. He kept his head about him in an emergency, that's saying something. Hey Croz, you're all right!

davers, Zeki, Carserguev and 9 others like this.
  3. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

David thinks his autograph is worth a whole lot, that is why he refuses to sign for fans, including children, outside venues. But he has zero issue with marketing his autograph at the merch booth for $300+. Anyone who buys that VIP package needs their head examined by a trained professional. There is not a more delusional rock star out there in regards to his importance and talent level, and not a more nasty star out there in regards to his interactions with fans.

MrMusic likes this.
  4. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Wow...that's pretty steep for no meet and greet, no photo with him, etc. I took a look at a few Crosby shows already onsale and you can get really good tickets for about $80. Personally, sitting front row isn't the best seat imo anyway. I'd much rather be five or ten rows back as the sound and visual of the concert is typically much better than right in front. Early entry is absolutely meaningless unless if it's referring to coming in early enough for soundcheck but I think they'd refer to that if it was the case. Interesting that they don't tell you what kind of autographed merchandise you're getting so it's hard to put an exact value on that. I'm guess it's either a poster or a glossy but with it not being defined my expectations would be low. Almost anyone paying $600 for this is already going to have a copy of David's last album on cd so that has very little value.

Not a very good value for the money imo. If it was CSNY with all the same items then I think it's a different story but just for Crosby alone to shows that it's pretty easy to get a really good ticket for less than $100...no.

5. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

I found this interesting tidbit on his "Guacamole Fund" tickets which are in row 3 at the show I pulled it for and sell for $250 each. "In exchange for your payment of $250 to attend the concert, a portion of the net proceeds for each ticket sale will be donated to The Guacamole Fund on behalf of David Crosby."

So, he gets the tax deduction too!

6. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

wow...not trying to poop in the punch bowl, but do people *really* pay that much for that kinda stuff? the whole 'meet & great' scene reeks of total d-baggery to me, but even with out that schmoozing going on this seems like a high price to pay for nothing at the finish line for me. sorry croz...

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If there's one rich guy going to one show who wants to pay it, he does them a service by offering it.

Everyone else can hold off on buying tix now and wait for some front row tickets to be put on sale at a more reasonable price day of show without the autographed schwag.

8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

David has been a notorious non-signer for DECADES. Crosby got into a fist fight with a polite autograph collector in Vancouver circa 1993. I think the collector was bought off(handful of free tickets) as Crosby was on probation and the tour managers knew it would kill the tour.

Genuine CSNY signatures can clear $1,500 because he's the tough one, though Neil has become hit & miss in the past 10 years.

9. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Do you know if the signed posters CSN sell at every gig for roughly $100-$150 (I forget the exact amount) are genuine? If so then that would seem to be the easiest way to acquire those three. You still have to get Neil though. The other caveat is it's on a poster rather than an item of your choosing like a CSN/CSNY album, etc. The only time I ever tried to get an autograph from David I got it. It was on a early 90's Crosby/Nash tour and he easily signed my CSN laserdisc after the show and signed for others. Maybe I just tried on a night he was in a good mood or maybe it's more of a case of getting tougher after the internet came around and made it easy for them to see the autographs being sold.

10. FastForward

In that period of time, Crosby was still signing regularly, so no surprise there. The rule to follow in autographs is that unless you saw it signed yourself, the authenticity will always be in question. Your call whether you want to gamble or not. I would like to think that the poster sigs are genuine but in my many years in the hobby, I've seen more than one tour manager or roadie sign for an artist so anything is possible. As for them seeing the autographs sold on the internet, given the period of time that Crosby stopped signing freely, his signature was common and could be had for roughly $25-30 on an album, or $25 on a photo. Only a delusional person would see his signature being sold for those sums and think he is losing money. It's not like they were selling like hotcakes. With his now-infamous tantrums about signing and reluctance to do so, he has actually created a demand for his signature that would allow internet sales to be at sums that might shock you. I saw a complete CSNY album cover that was signed and authenticated sell for $11,000 at an auction last year, which is just ridiculous. Nobody really knows why Crosby stopped signing- only he does. He has accused many autograph seekers of being eBay sellers, including myself, so that gives fodder as to the reason. But I have also witnessed him being offered money to sign, which he turned down flat. The fact that he will sign for his own direct profit via the merch booth spells it clearly for me- he feels that like his music, his signature should be under his sole control and be the only one to profit from it. Does it relate to his financial problems? I'll bet it does.

11. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I listened to the call and I don't understand your kudos. He reported the accident, which is required by law. That's all he did. If he didn't report the accident then the would be charged with a crime. As far as "demanding the ambulance" - he didn't want to be charged with vehicular manslaughter and he sounded like an annoying pain in the ass to me. The operator kept telling him that it was being taken care of and he kept acting like the entitled jerk that he is, but scared he is going to end up in a cell or all the money that he claims he doesn't have is going to be taken from him in a lawsuit.

I think early entry means you don't have to stand in line in case you just had knee replacement surgery.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    heatherly and bonus like this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i spoke with crosby after a CPR show in niagara falls and he was more than willing to sign my ticket stub (were pevar and raymond). he was also more than gracious when my wife asked him for a pick and he reached into his pocket with a smile and handed her one.

13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I was just this morning saying the same type thing while riding my horse.

:nauga:

jy3iix, pscreed and Jet Age Eric like this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I generally have more sympathy for cranky celebrities who don't like signing stuff than for even polite autograph collectors myself. It takes two to get in a fist fight and I am skeptical the collector was that polite if it got to that point. Don't think many folks have accused Crosby of being violent, though he has been accused of a lot.

15. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Sorry but I think paying for a "meet and greet" with a musician or an athlete is for losers.
    David doesn't want to meet you any more than a high priced prostitute wants to **** you, but he will tolerate it for the right price.

16. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

So,... You're saying they're all "hoes", right?
    ...and were the "Johns"...?

17. FastForward

And for every story like that, we can come up with 50 stories of him refusing and acting badly. You went to the show, David made money from you, so sure, he'd sign, right?

Then you've never witnessed a Crosby tantrum like I have. No artist HAS to sign anything and I've never forced the issue in my 40 years of collecting autographs. If they say no, it's over, I walk away. I get it, it's a pain sometimes. But that's all they have to do- say no. Crosby has TWICE been rude and nasty to me for doing nothing more than asking him to sign an album. I've personally witnessed him using vulgar language in his refusals. I've personally witnessed him refusing to sign for a veteran in a wheelchair. I've personally witnessed him refuse to sign for a child. I guarantee that if there was a fistfight, it was prompted by a rude Crosby refusal, and a just as rude reaction from the asker. I know that when he called me a motherf**ker when I politely asked for his signature, my reaction was first of shock, then of anger at being treated so rudely. When I retorted with "that's not necessary, David, just say no", I was once again blasted with vulgarity. So, yeah, have your sympathy for Crosby, but he gets none from me.

Grand_Ennui, heatherly and RubenH like this.
  18. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

I've just lost what very little respect I had for David Crosby. I really hope he does go broke.

19. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

I've never once heard someone say,gee that
    David Crosby is a nice fella. I have heard him
    Called... well never mind.

MidnightRocks likes this.
  20. serge

serge Forum Resident

he was real nice on twitter a few weeks ago taking questions and giving some great answers...

i think signing would sort of suck because how can you tell the guys who really want the autographs and the ones who want to resell on ebay.. i would hate to sign for resellers.. those guys make me puke...of ten they don't even pay for the show and stand outside acting all entitled!

21. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

The guy is 73 kids are all grown. How much does he need. He can't
    Pitter patter around on 150 grand retirement from past royalties and a dozen shows.

He can always move into Graham Nash's guest house and live on his retirement pension.

22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

CSN or solo haven't played my market since 2008. I view 1st point of sale autogrpahs from merch tables/artists online stores/Newbury Comics/brand new book sellers to all be the genuine article.
    David seems to be nice at solo shows, but hard at CSN gigs. If you approached with a CSNY album at his solo gig he will more than likely turn on you. One of their road managers told some jaw dropping stories about him and Stills(very little is publically known about his personal life) including the ordeal it took to get Crosby to sign guitar already signed by SN to a radio station for a giveaway to promoter a tour stop.

Some talent/artists/celebs will sign multiples of some things but outright refuse to sign other stuff. For instance if you want the classic lineup band sets of CCR/GNR/Smiths/Smashing Pumpkins there are certain band members you have to get in a certain order.

I've NEVER seen any movie memorabilia signed by actor John C. Reily. Yet he signed all three music items I bought at his merch table when he met fans after a show without any prompting.

Crosby signed some of his mainstream stuff in 1993. The road manager witnessed the altercation and sided with the fan. Sometimes bodyguards are there to protect the artist from themselves.

Then there's people like Bob Seger who will decline to sign then lecture you about autographs for 2 minutes rather than scribbling a 2 second scrawl.
    If you don't like ebay personalize it, sign the back, sign the album upside down, sign over a dark part of the image with a black pen. Selling signed stuff at the merch table also keeps autograph collectors if the prices are kept in line.

23. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

Listening to the 911 audio I don't really detect anything but extreme fear that the man was hurt badly.

I had a phone call like that once to 911 - where my child was hurt... I was barely able to talk on the phone
    to the 911 person... I think the reality is I was useless - and it was someone else who called and
    and give them the information they needed to send an ambulance.

My son was lucky that day... it could have been fatal... but there was no major damage.

I'm guessing Crosby wasn't the only one who called - which is why the dispatcher said "we're
    already on the way" before Crosby was able to provide clear location information.

I will say this... 911 operaters will ignore you if you don't have cross street information.

I was involved with another incident where my car ran out of gas on a dangerous stretch
    of road... I opted to get my family out of my car rather than wait until someone flew around the corner
    and plowed into us... but it happened in an area where I don't live and I didn't know the cross street.

I called like 4 or 5 times in an hour - and watched maybe 50 cars almost get into a major accident -
    before I asked a kid walking by "what's the cross street?"

After I called back and gave them the cross street, cops showed up quickly

This was somewhere near the UCLA campus.

24. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Damn, I knew I should have had my stuff when I saw CPR back in the day at HOB. Pevar and Raymond were still inside the place, and Croz was outside by the bus signing away. Times have changed....... :sigh:

25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I don't care what offensive thing Crosby said to a guy invading his space to seek am autograph. Unless you are telling me he landed the first blow any resultant fistfight was the fault of the guy who did. There is a clear bright line between words and violence.

And I really don't have a problem with celebs not signing for kids or cripples either. If you were telling me the guy paid for a meet and greet that was advertised as including an autograph and was greeted with profanity when he requested it, then I would see an issue.

All paying for a ticket to a show entitles someone to is seeing the show, conditioned on him not getting in the face of the performer or anyone else to an extent that warrants ejection. In my humble opinion.

LandHorses likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.