How can David Crosby be broke?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadbirdie, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

And can't 911 operators generally get your location from your cell phone even if you don't know it?

2. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

Nobody is entitled to an autograph, but the person who can't find the 30 odd seconds it takes to sign something for a wheelchair bound war vet is a pretty low human being as far as I'm concerned.

heatherly and wavethatflag like this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I am reminded of the scene in JCSuperstar where a kinder hearted celebrity than David Crosby got fed up with such pressures to the point he screamed "heal yourselves".

The guy has spent his life singing and promoting pacifism, he does not by doing so assume the burden of improving the lives of those maimed by militarism in any other ways.

There are lots of worthy causes out there. I imagine he has contributed time or money to some, whether they help veterans or others in need. But his choice of who to help and how is his business not ours, and he does not deserve public scorn for not doing what you feel he should to do for some stranger who gets in his face who you feel he should help. If this became real prevalent, I expect enterprising autograph collectors would start renting wheelchairs.

If you really want war heroes to have items autographed by David Crosby then spend your cash to buy those guys such items on Ebay or direct your scorn at yourself for not doing so.

Now if your issue with DC is the way he talks to Michael Clarke on some Byrds outtakes, I see your point.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    Six Bachelors likes this.
  4. mike's beard

Dude, I suggested he could have taken the time it takes to scrawl his name on a sleeve or slip of paper, not lay his hands on the guy and heal him.

Dudley Morris and Muddy like this.
  5. littleugly

littleugly Well-Known Member

What's that beloved, late-night one liner about Crosby again?

"He's fat and he does cocaine?"

Hard to hold on to your moolah when you're buying your blow by the tonne and oreos by the pallet.

heatherly likes this.
  6. mike's beard

I began to write a reply to this quote but had to admit defeat. I simply don't possess the words to counter a statement as obtuse as the above sentence

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The issue is thousands of people for decades demanding you to do something personally for them that only you can do with your hands. Whether you are a signer or a healer is more or less irrelevant, though I would see more merit to a maimed person wanting to be healed than to a maimed person wanting a collectible.

8. mike's beard

But as I said before nobody is entitled to anything from the guy, but denying someone who has been dealt a bad blow in life something as simple as an autograph is IMO low.

9. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

What a terrible leftist...he wants to pollute the atmosphere with his evil car exhaust just because he want to go for a pleasure drive. Carbon taxes on him.

Sean and ssmith3046 like this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I don't give money to every panhandler I pass in a wheelchair either.

I do use my vote to increase benefits for the needy and decrease the extent to which troops are put in harms way (not that I am advocating for you to vote any particular way). And I write and sing songs about the issues. Both things I believe David Crosby has also done, which I feel are more meaningful than handouts of change or autographs.

11. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

You would think so... but they still insist on asking for a cross street - and if you're in a location where a cross street doesn't exist or is unknown - the conversation seems to get stuck.

I've had the police accidentally show up at my house one morning because I tried to dial a friend with a cell phone with area code "918" and I double clutched and accidentally dialed "9118" I tried to hang up after realizing what I had done - but that didn't matter.

But since cell phones move around, they seem to be more picky - to a point that seemed extreme (to me)... especially given that I didn't know the cross street and there wasn't one visibile from where I was placing the call (at a pay phone, I think). I think I had a cell phone at the time, but for some reason thought it would be more efficient if I used a pay phone - since they would more easily know where the pay phone is located.

It might have just been a coincidence and the police were very slow to arrive - but it seemed pretty clear to me that they ignored 3 or 4 calls in an hour where I called and tried to tell them how to find the spot ("just drive along Sunset - along the north edge of the UCLA campus... you'll find the spot") and then showed up almost instantly after I called them back with a cross street that was approximately 2 miles from where I was standing.

Looking at googlemaps, I think the location I was calling from was around where the sunset canyon recreation center is located along a stretch of sunset that is very curvy and the nearest cross street is pretty far away. I had a vehicle sitting in the middle of the sunset with no gas - and no people inside of it... and cars kept whipping around a blind turn in both directions and almost hitting the unexpected car sitting there in the middle of the road.

Looking at a map even now, I'm not certain what I would declare the nearest cross street... probably "groverton place" - but looking at the map, that street was probably 1/3 of a mile away - and hidden around the curve from where I was standing (which I think was in a parking structure at DeNeve Drive and Easton Drive). I kept telling the 911 operators that if the police drove along sunset that hugs the north edge of the campus they won't have any problem finding the extremely dangerous location.

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

To me saying it is low not to give someone some thing is saying the person is morally entitled to that thing.

13. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

That "Drive My Car" song/video seems to take on a whole new (clearly unintended) meaning given what happened the other night.

I thought it was going to be a cover of the old Beatles song.

I suspect if he gets sued, the song will somehow come to haunt him - it seems to lean a little much towards the "i'm a reckless driver" theme

The "Drive My Car" song sucks, in my opinion.

I'm surprised he can sell expensive concert tickets as a solo act. I remember he came to my college in the early 80s, and it was pretty much
    a non-event... I didn't even hear about it until after the show had taken place.

14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I enjoy him solo more than with a band though I enjoy both. I love his unique approach to acoustic guitar playing.

bonus likes this.
  15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Of CS&N Crosby is the most interesting to me as a solo act at present. I like his songs better than Graham's, and Stephen just can't sing very well at this point.

bonus likes this.
  16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

My favorite lineup is C&N which brings in their angelic harmonies, and tends to have them dig deeper in the catalog than they do as CSN.

I have seen them twice with a band but would love to see them one day as just two guys with guitars as on the delicious "Another Stoney Evening" release

17. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Ain't the net a grand place; you can pass judgement on someone you don't know and name-call without any fear of repercussions.

bonus and rjp like this.
  18. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

Ah, yes, tinges of jealousy because they can get what you so badly crave yet can't achieve. Seen it a thousand times. And how exactly does one act "entitled"? What difference does it make whether they are going to the show or not? Does every fan of an artist earn enough money to afford tickets? Does every person who earns a good salary go to every show of an artist they are a fan of? Nope. Many times I've gone out to venues to meet artists and try to get autographs for my collection- it's a HOBBY. I buy the music, I buy the t-shirts, am I not worthy of a chance to ask for an autograph of someone I admire? Just because there are some who are dealers who sell the signatures they acquire doesn't mean the majority of people standing there waiting are such.

There were Neil Diamond counterfeits sold via a New York retail/online merchandiser last year. They initially sold authentic signed CDs, but ran out rather quickly but continued to take orders. They contacted Neils management to get additional units, and were shipped CDs signed "Neil Diamond" but not in Neils handwriting, and certainly not matching any known signature of his. So to assume all autographs being sold that way are authentic would be a mistake.

See, making assumptions on an incident to support your viewpoint doesn't work. I've never once "invaded" an artists space, as you seem to think happens routinely. Thats why they have security- to make sure it doesn't happen. I use my voice to get their attention, and if they agree to sign, then I walk over to them. Works well, never had an issue where an artist felt uncomfortable and voiced it. Do the crowds around them get overwhelming? Sure- in my experience it's the people who make a rash decision to try to get an autograph and don't know the protocols- I've seen old ladies throw elbows just to get close to Leon Russell.
    I find your comment about not signing for "cripples" offensive. What kind of perosn calls a veteran in a wheelchair a "cripple"
    Crosby doesn't have to sign anything he doesn't want to. But he can take 5 seconds and shake a wheelchair-bound veterans hand or just say hello to him, not brush by him like he has the plague. It's the human thing to do. It's very telling that you find that the way he talks to a fellow musician more substantial than how he treats a child or a veteran.

So now a vet in a wheelchair is a panhandler? Isn't it funny that you think singing songs about "the issues" is meaningful, yet you easily dismiss that veteran of a war that Crosby made a boatload of money protesting, singing songs against and associating himself with that fight. Your viewpoint of the world is scary. I hope bad luck never befalls you so much that you are forced to ask for "handouts of change."

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Whether or not someone is in a wheelchair and why they are there is completely irrelevant to whether they are entitled to an autograph.

To the extent an autograph request leads to a negative reaction from a celebrity it clearly constitutes getting in their face and it is not a celebrity's obligation to use security to keep such folks away and be polite to those who get through. I can't imagine how annoying it would be to deal with such requests every time you did not have a bodyguard running interference for you. The guy likes singing songs and playing guitar, not signing stuff or talking to strangers or shaking their hands. That's perfectly reasonable. I feel the same way though I might also feel more flattered than annoyed the first thousand times I was asked to do so.

20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Crosby's material is a of variable quality but none of it - with the possible exception of Everybody's Been Burned - has been at all commercial. His songs have attracted very few cover versions - in fact, I can't think (off-hand) of any of his solo compositions that has been covered by anyone else.

As others have mentioned, his 'hit rate' on CSNY albums has never been strong. Despite his reputation as a loudmouth, S,N and Y seem to have no qualms about sidelining his contributions.

Add to this his longstanding freebase addiction and you can see how he might be strapped for cash. I think he doth protest too much, though!

For all that, Crosby is still my favourite member of CSNY: he has the best voice (both then and now) and his first solo album is country miles ahead of anything C or N have released independently.

21. serge

serge Forum Resident

wow...you sound like a real piece of work...first of all i'm not even a david crosby fan and have never seen him live so the idea that i would care about somebody else getting his autograph is preposterous....but i have seen people show up after shows i've attended for people that i do want their autographs (kind of like you do without paying for the ticket that is) and i've seen musicians probably dreading dealing with those guys run to their bus....and i think its a shame i can't get an autograph cause of guys like you who are semi-professional stalkers rather than music appreciators.. you say it yourself: you don't even go to the show and show up for autographs: pa-the-tic.

22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

hey, i disliked the guy way before this incident. i guess i'm an OG as far as crosby hatin' goes.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  23. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

Can you believe this guy?

"have never seen him live so the idea that i would care about somebody else getting his autograph is preposterous.

"and i think its a shame i can't get an autograph cause of guys like you"

Case closed, lol.

24. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXhUU1UDqcw

Boris number 9 and bonus like this.
  25. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

Somewhere he found the money for a 2015 Tesla... :confused:

EasterEverywhere likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.