How can TV's like this one be considered High Def?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Drew, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew

Drew Senior Member Thread Starter

Pardon my ignorance, but I purchased a HDTV Tuner card for my PC a few months ago and for the first time in years I'm not televisionless. If I set the video card resolution to 1940x1440 I can watch HDTV at 1920x1080, as long as the program is being transitted in that format. How can a TV that claims to have the resolution of 1024x768 be considered true High Def?

Example:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ductCategoryId=pcmcat33900050026&type=product

2. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

99% of the HDTVs sold can't resolve 1920x1080

No consumer tube set can.
    No RPTV with 7" guns can.
    Most DLP/DILA/LCD/LCOS sets cant.

3. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

My Hi-Def TV can only do 480P non-interlaced, and 1080i.

Far from Hi-Def, I think...

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

720p and 1080i are both considered high-definition. Pretty much anything greater than 480p is considered hi-def. I'm not sure I understand the question.

Regards,

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

That is an odd resolution for a 16x9 set. That pixel count usually applies to 4x3 displays. Could be a typo.

Yes, that set would qualify as "HD".

6. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Very well put.

7. Drew

Drew Senior Member Thread Starter

I guess I never realized that most current HDTV's reduce the resolution to something current screen technology can handle. Michael's response makes sense I guess.

I purchased a 19 inch monitor few years ago that supports a resolution of 1920x1440 (most only do 1600x1200) so that when I scan negatives with my 2700 dpi film scanner I could fit as much of that picture as possible on the screen. Now I'm glad I did for another reason, so I don't have to reduce the resolution when watching my HDTV card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.