How clean should your stylus be?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Porkpie, Nov 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

To answer the original question, it should be clean as new before each side. Same with the record. It’s not that hard to do.

2. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

None of them, all the brushes do is push most of the dust around the groove, and drive it in deeper where the stylus "plays" it. What we see collected on the crush is only a small amount compared to what's left in the groove. Meanwhile, the groove and surface gets scored by repeated use of the brush. The stylus etches the groove as it "grinds" in dust by repeated play, and we end up with a "well cared for", and noisy record.

As audiophiles, we need to "think more like a record", or a micro-biologist.
    The home environment may appear clean and comfortable, but to a record on a micro-scale, things are not so comfortable at all. But we can make it so, without sacrificing comfort and an inviting music room.

If that seems to be so bad, then what would be the proper care for a record?
    Sometimes less is more
    If the record has a few flecks of dust on the surface, intuition compels us to remove it. When we brush the record, cross contamination is the first offender, an unclean brush. (It may appear clean, it is not.. unless it is washed, rinsed and dried) Even so, a perfectly clean brush does not remove all the loose dust on the surface. Some it is will be driven deeper in the groove where it isn't readily seen. So the visual cue misleads us into believing the record is clean.

As the stylus picks up dust or accumulates sludge, it had to come from somewhere
    The stylus is the "truth-teller" on how clean or not, our records really are.

Helpful Tips:
    1) resist brushing a few flecks of surface dust from the record, do nothing, just play it. The stylus does not track what's on the surface. (a can of "dust it" takes care of it)
    2) if the record is dusty, it needs to be cleaned on an RCM, or spin-clean
    3) store the clean record in a static free audiophile sleeve
    4) no pre-play ritual, a hard habit to break (I have my hand raised)
    a) remove clean record,
    b) play record,
    c) return clean record to sleeve​
    5) a clean turntable because a dusty turntable is a source of.... dust....
    6) Clothing is a MAJOR source of dust. That lambs wool sweater grandmother gave you for Christmas has no place in the same room with your records. Just don't do it! :laugh: Wear low shed fabrics, washed hands, common sense stuff (not saying the music room has to a cold, sterile place, but should be clean.. avoid high shed fabrics, ie: wool, flannel, low quality cotton .. very bad)
    6) a clean record storage area, no open, dusty shelves. A cabinet with smooth surfaced shelving (melamine is inexpensive and wipes clean) a sensible approach, not rocket science.. why do most audiophiles display records on an open shelf, as records are very, very sensitive to dust? ... seems counter-intuitive doesn't it?
    7) a well lighted turntable area, and record cleaning bench/ inspection area (the lights can be turned down while listening)
    8) The stylus can aid in "cleaning" a groove as it tends to kick aside sparse loose dust (non-adhered such as after cleaning on an RCM)
    9) loose dust can be blown away with a can of "dust it", a far more effective method vs a cleaning brush. Be careful to blow in a clean area, a hard counter surface, or free air space... your shirt sleeve in the path of the air stream is a no-no. "think like a record"

I just love the old album covers depicting a party scene, records splayed across the carpet, people having fun, etc. All was good, but not the way to take care of a collection.

Helpful tips, which I do not practice all the time. It's not perfect world... but not too difficult once old habits are broken!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    nosliw, LitHum05 and ruben lopez like this.
  3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the post, I don’t have a brush to clean vinyl though, I was referring to my stylus brush which isn’t effective.

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

FIRST, make sure your records are clean. Otherwise, you are just pissing in the wind...

The FRiNgE likes this.
  5. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

That’s already been covered.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Great. Don't forget it. :tsk::winkgrin:

sirmikael likes this.
  7. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

If you have fuzz on the stylus that is visible with the naked eye, and it won't come clear with a brush, or magic eraser, or liquid cleaner, I have to think the diamond itself is occluded and the futz is lodged in a crack, or that there is an imperfection where the diamond is adhered to the cantilever, again providing a hold for the futz. If it sounds good when you play records, ignore it. If not, then I would replace the stylus. BUT, before replacing the stylus, I would use liquid, soak the entire cantilever assembly, would experiment with other measures to dislodge the gunk, understanding that at that point there is a chance I would destroy the stylus.

I said it earlier. I play records, lots of them, hours a day. I don't find big build ups on the stylus, the records play quietly, I don't go crazy with cleaning regimens. If the hobby truly demanded OCD-ness on my part, I would be out as fast as I could sell my gear. If you need extreme cleaning regimens, or spend much time dealing with dust and dirt in record playback, something else is wrong.

Bill Why Man and TheVinylAddict like this.
  8. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Even if you clean your records religiously 100% of the time before playing, you never get 100% of the dust / gunk out of the grooves, especially with used records, so eventually you will get build up on the stylus. I got the impression from a couple of replies that if you clean your records, you never need to clean your stylus?

Then even if you had the perfect cleaning method and got 100% of anything that might attach to the stylus, a lot of us play the record without a cover on, and then sometimes leave it sit for a little bit (hopefully not in the runout groove... no, not me :)). I live in dusty AZ, with AC and fans running, and most of the time when I hear some distortion or weirdness set in, sure enough a little piece hair of dust made its way onto the vinyl and lodged itself under the stylus. Plus I have two beagles, and although not big shedders they still drop hair - and its short and gets around.

Bottom line - for me my ears are the best indicator for a stylus that needs cleaning. I don't go over board, or buy any special cleaning products . Sometimes I am proactive and give the stylus a clean before playing a record, but maybe every 15-20 records.

I do own a 10x and 20x jewelers loupe I use for other applications - it is always fun to take a close look at the stylus and get and idea how much work those things do - you'll be surprised at what you see!! (even those that play their records in a clean room with a bunny suit on).

H8SLKC likes this.
  9. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

These are the things I do to try to keep my records and turntable as dustfree as possible:

• When I buy new or used records I always clean them on my Okki Nokki RCM. I use the L'Art du Son cleaning solution that IMHO is very effective.
    • After cleaning I put the record in a new non static innersleeve- I use both the polylined paper variant as well as the Japanese Nagaoka style inners. I like both.
    • When playing a record I put it on the turntable and if the surface is a bit dusty I use a carbon optic record brush to get the dust of the record.
    • After playing each side I clean the stylus with the Onzow Zerodust which I believe is a very lenient way to keep the stylus clean.
    • After each listening session I clean the stylus with Lyra SPT (Stylus Performance Treatment)- IMHO it's very effective and lenient as well.
    • I weekly clean my Michell Gyro SE turntable with an ostrich feather duster and a small make up brush. At the same time I clean the platter with a damp micro fiber cloth.
    This 'work flow' works great for me. IMHO if one have a few hundred records or more getting a RCM is essential as this really is an effective way to bring the best out of the records.

Wounded Land and nosliw like this.
  10. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

Well, I went ahead and purchased some liquid stylus cleaner to give the Art9 a liquid cleaning every now and again and to work in tandem with the Onzow Zerodust.

1. Audio-Technica AT607
    2. LP Gear Diamond Stylus Brush

11. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i keep the records clean(mainly by not buying used ones in bad shape) clean them now and again with my disc washer and brush.i have some stylus cleaner the brush in the liquid one and clean the stylus now and again.i also have a carbon fibre brush for the records.with a decent system it sounds ACES!

12. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

Looks similar to mine after a bit. Do you clean your Zerodust with mild detergent and water occasionally?

13. You bet—usually with a mild, mild all-natural dish soap drop and distilled water.
    In fact, that reminds me...

14. On my audio stand I keep a chunk of Magic Eraser the size of my thumb in a shot-glass with a little water in it. The ME stays damp & I reach up and under my cart and give the stylus a little dab with it each time I play a side of an LP. Keeps the stylus as clean as a whistle.

H8SLKC likes this.
  15. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Dude, have you been spying on me??? :wiggle:

I agree, just return the tonearm back to base, turn off the TT and walk away until the next day. A long fun night have been dangerous for me and my records.

spaulding likes this.
  16. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

This thread runs the gamut of responses, it goes from - clean your stylus when you hear issues just play a clean record and don't get overly obsessive all the way to clean your stylus on every side of the record, and employ all sorts of special cleaning products.

There is no right or wrong, but this thread is further evidence that in the audio world, you can go as far as you want, and there will always be a product there waiting for you to support you on your journey.

I personally am closer to the side of the spectrum that rarely cleans their stylus - and if I start to hear a little distortion creep in I give it a quick clean - using either distilled water, or the distilled / 91% iso mix I use on my records (25% iso).

YMMV - I am not right or wrong either, but this seems to work fine.

GyroSE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.