How come Alan Parson's music hasn't been released in 5.1 sound?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Taurus, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member Thread Starter

Except for his album "On Air" from DTS Entertainment how come no one has transferred his other works to either sacd or dvd-audio? (the above title uses the DTS format exclusively--it is not a dvd-audio disc).

Contract problems, lost master tapes--what gives?

Thanks.

[T]

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Money. And licensing. Fairly sure of that. I'd love to hear I ROBOT and Eye In Sky in 5.1, but more importantly, I would love to hear Eye in SACD 2.0...!

3. vex

vex New Member

A friend of mine had the opportunity to talk to Alan Parsons at a recent conference, and he asked Alan this very question. Alan's response was that he would love to remix his past works for surround when he finds the time. Since he got shafted on the recent DSOTM project, I hope this doesn't sour his disposition on tackling his own stuff.

BTW, "Stereotomy" was released in surround sound using the fairly obscure Ambisonic system. It sounds pretty darn cool through an Ambisonic decoder.

4. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

There is (or was) a DAD of I, Robot released back in 2000.

Amazon still has them here.

It was re-mastered to 96/24 PCM audio. Supposedly very good. But still not 5.1.

There was talk recently that Alan Parsons was, in fact, working on 5.1 re-mixes of some of his albums. So, there is still hope. There's also hope that better issues will come from the original standard stereo mixes - something that most of his back catalog badly needs, like Pyramid, Eve and Turn of a Friendly Card.

Joel

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yeah. I have it (The I ROBOT DAD) Sounds really, REALLY good. :)

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

My only worry is that Mr. Parsons could turn out to be a 'revisionist' like his CD version of Tales of Mystery and Imagination.... . Thank goodness for the MFSL.

If you like the stock CD let me explain. I listened to the LP many, many times and when I bought the CD version, it was not only remixed but it had extra parts (guitar, narration). It drives me nuts! Not that it's a long trip, mind you....

As for 5.1 in any format? Bring 'em on! I just hope the original mix is there somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.