How come that Greta Van Fleet got signed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark12345, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

That's what I was wondering. I think the fact that they're young and would arguably connect better with today's youth would be the only reason for the younger audience not to go to Led Zeppelin's catalog directly. I wonder how a full length album would go with critics and the general audience and if a sophomore effort would be embraced.

lightbulb likes this.
  2. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

I think maybe we're underestimating the love of solid classic rock across the board. Sure the latest ****ty trend sells units or streams or whatever the hell passes for sales these days, but lovers of classic rock will always support a band that shows promise. Don't forget that Zeppelin and Sabbath were slagged unmercifully when they started out. Just because they're not chartbusters doesn't mean they don't have a following. Good luck to them.

Rodant Kapoor likes this.
  3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

What’s that lyric...
    “Trolls are gonna Troll...”
    If this is a troll thread...

There’s no need to get upset or angered by a thread that is probably/may be intentionally aiming to set off emotions.

When you do that, you’re just falling into the perpetrator’s trap.

ndoheny likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

If they were School of Rock graduates, I'd know about it. Corporate is constantly mentioning other grads like Eric Slick of Doctor Dog and his sister Julie Slick of the Adrian Belew Trio, Blaise Dahl, the members of Dollskin... seriously, if they had graduates with that kind of success they wouldn't be Tweeting about it day and night?

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  5. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

I'm more offended by the atrocious use of English grammar in the thread title :realmad:

9 Volt, GoodKitty, sonofjim and 6 others like this.
  6. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

They do nothing for me.

If you want a contemporary band that reaches to the past but moves forward with their own sound... “All Them Witches”. Now that’s a band that has my attention.

Hattipper likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Or The Record Company.

WarEagleRK likes this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Just curious is there a difference between School of Rock graduates and people who attended School of Rock? Is there an actual "You guys have passed" sort of thing that happens?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...well, the OP is from Croatia. I think it’s pretty funny that they haven’t been back on the boards since the day after joining. Hit & run.

10. Chris DeVoe

A "graduate" is one who has aged out of the program at 18, generally after having reached the top levels - playing in the local "House Band" and toured as a member of the AllStars.

lightbulb and eddiel like this.
  11. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Ah, this is true. I admit I'm speaking out of turn with that.

Let me put it this way - GVF look like they went to "rawk school" (as opposed to School of Rock). I know actual School of Rock grads have chops/creativity. Should have thought before I posted that, since I've seen Julie Slick live with Adrian Belew.

I still think there's something of a put-on with GVF.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

The goal of the teachers I know is to expose the kids to enough different influences that they'll be able to play anything and recognize good music in a wide range of styles.

Maybe they just want success, and figured there is a Led Zeppelin shaped hole in the market that needed filling?

But in their defense, I do like my rock stars to know how to put on a show. You have to be willing to risk being cliche'd and silly.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  13. overdrivethree

There's certainly a market in and around that Zep-shaped hole. Which I admit, I find surprising to a degree and at this point in time. Guess it shouldn't be too much of a surprise, since Zep reunion speculation still probably comes in second to "what ifs" regarding the Beatles.

You're softening me on these guys, hahaha.

lightbulb and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. KankRat

KankRat Forum Resident

I have their CD. Personally I think they rock. The singer needs to turn it down about 2 notches, but other than that they are pretty good. Need a really good producer.

Rhett and eddiel like this.
  15. overdrivethree

From what I've heard/seen of them, I think "good producer" is the heart of the issue.

A bunch of classic rock fans calling them the second coming of Zeppelin is all well and good - but a good producer would get them out of that bag, perhaps buying them some longevity beyond the novelty they currently offer, while not losing what energy and chops are there.

lightbulb likes this.
  16. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I guess he’s either:
    1. Shockingly surprised at the 5 pages of responses (some very passionate).

2. Snarkily sneakily slithering low, relishing the 5 pages of responses (some biting the bait, others nonchalant).

3. A one-shot Charlie, without another wad.

17. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

I really until recently as many others thought that Greta Van Fleet is a some kind of female folk singer. Then I checked one of their songs at Coachella on youtube.

I immediately thought about the Lemon Twigs. Both bands are very young, both do retro, both are relatives band.

lightbulb and Chris DeVoe like this.
  18. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Love Love Love the Lemon Twigs.

Their new singles are a departure from the jangley sound that their first album was absolutely enveloped with and are a sort-of "entrance" towards harder, 70s rock that littered their live shows. Both in similar veins, both fantastic.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I remember when Rush started out as a pale imitation of Zep. They did alright for themselves.

Veni Vidi Vici likes this.
  20. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I don't care who you are - that was pretty funny! :laughup:

21. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I think the Fleet is pretty interesting - can't wait to hear more by them and see what they do.

Rodant Kapoor likes this.
  22. Not with me they didn't.

DHamilton likes this.
  23. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

If Page/Plant/Jones have no interest in making new music as LZ while they are still able to make music then let these kids do something similar and entertain people. Obviously there's a demand for that music and they do pretty good.

Keep in mind their sound will grow and change over the years.

Rodant Kapoor and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Not true. Three of the bandmembers are brothers, grew up playing together, and the current drummer is a good friend. They've been playing together for years grinding it out in Frankenmuth. Hardly an overnight success despite their youth.

They raised the money for their early demos and videos via Kickstarter. You can find this stuff in the usual places.

As to why they got signed, it's no mystery. Jason Flom at Lava Records heard the demo's, liked 'em, and offered them a deal.

I thought there was a thread on this already? :shrug:

lightbulb likes this.
  25. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I would imagine they were signed because the record company thought they’d make a profit selling their music. Whether or not I think they’re any good is irrelevant. There are plenty of acts I don’t like laughing all the way to the bank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.