How Crazy would This Be?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RetroSmith, Apr 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Guys, do me a favor and read thru to the end of this thought, think for a second, then tell me how crazy you think this would be.

I'm a surround sound nut, but I also love great stereo.

What I'm thinking of doing is this.

I'm thinking of totally upgrading my 5.1 system to incorporate the "1,000$ Hi Fi Nirvana" post that appeared here a while back.

BUT, and here is where it gets nutty--- I'm thinking of buying FIVE of the Divergent Technologies AV-8 amps (and i'll change the caps),

FIVE of the Paradigm Atom Speakers, so that they are perfectly matched,

and the matching preamp for Vinyl.

Benefits:

1) Everything I play back, wether mono, stereo, or 5.1 will have the benfit of matched, smooth TUBE audio amps and preamps.

2) Surround Sound....matching speakers and amps.

3) Best 5.1 bang (audio wise) for the buck. Tubes also!

I already know that I wont be able to use a Subwoofer, thats OK, I dont use one now.

To me, tho, I would end up with a KILLER Tube, 5.1 System, for not a lot of money. and since I know of NO 5.1 Tube Amps, that seems plausible.

Here are my questions:

How would I get a "Center Channel" My current Kenwood has an output, the AV-8s of course are Monoblock Amps.

Any way to hook up the Digital Audio Output of the DVD player to this setup.

Is 8 watts per channel enough for Home Theatre (room is not tiny, but not too big and i have cranky neibors)

Could I upgrade the ATOMs to the next larger size Paradigm? Would the AV-8s power them allright? (really need feddback here men)

Ok guys, no flames please, BUT I wanna hear everything you guys have to say about this.
    I'm seriously thinking of doing this.

Mikey

2. RetroSmith

Oh, i forgot...any problem hooking up a DVD-A / SACD player with Analog 5.1 outputs to this setup. I'm sure I missed something there.....

3. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I don't know if this would fit into your schme of things but look at http://www.copland.dk/products.htm and check out the CVA 306 - I have listened to a number of Copland amps and have always thought they sounded very, very nice.

All the best - Andrew

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I wish I had your money!

5. RetroSmith

Hey Grant......

Part of this is that it should not cost ALL that much. The AV-8s are only 99$ each, the preamp 250, the speakers 189 a pair. The whole thing should be a bit more than 1,000. There are people here that have paid that just for a TT and Cart, ya know what I mean?

6. sgraham

sgraham New Member

How much is that Copeland multichannel preamp?

7. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Hi,
    It does sound fun, but wouldn't you need a multi-channel pre-amp. And if you had one, wouldn't that allow you to have sub out. And if you were using analog inputs from your 5.1 source, wouldn't you also be able to hook up a sub.
    Sounds intriguing. The Waves are a lot of fun. I am going to get a pair for my three week old daughter's room.

8. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Over here they are £1495 although I have just found one being sold used for £795.. hmmm...

All the best - Andrew

9. RetroSmith

Jeff, I see your point. I would need preamps for all 5 channels to control volume before sending the signal onto the amps. Hmmm.....that does increase the cost.

hhhmmmmmm..........

10. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Hi Mikey,

The problem is not, however, insurmountable. I have never seen one, and I don't know why there couldn't be one, a 6 channel passive pre-amp. Of course it would be hard to set delays and relative levels and all the rest, but... I do somewhere remember seeing a 6 channel pot for sale. Alternatively, a low cost multichannel processor would do it, I suppose too. I don't know who makes them however. Alternative, you could have three pre-amps with balance controls. It would make watching television rather a chore, but...
    Jeff
    PS I have rather been thinking the same thing as I have four channels of Tube Leak amps and a sub.

11. RetroSmith

Yea. Hmm...I might have to rethink this into a "stereo only" things, and simply keep my 5.1 reciever for when I want to listen to Surround.

Maybe I could run the left and right surrounds to the tube stuff, and the rears thru thr existing amp.

12. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Many pre-amps, I see, these days, have that exact facility. You can integrate whatever you want with the two front channels with the rest. I haven't however seen it done. Luckily, I have been able to have two systems, one for TV with a surprisingly decent and inexpensive HT receiver in the basement for surround sound and tv duties, and a dedicated two channel tube jobbie up stairs without a TV to be seen. I did however run the TV with two channels for a good long while and to be frank don't think the extra channels add that much to my viewing experience, except for action movies. All the best. Jeff

13. Susan

Susan New Member

Mikey,
    Are the Pradigms very efficient? Unless they are at least, say 92db or more, you may not have the oomph to crank them at all...and are the Paradigm's 4 or 8 ohm?? 4 ohm would again mean you'd need more power. I'm using the AV8's now with 96db speakers and they are very sweet. Sounds like a plan if the speakers match...
    Susan

14. RetroSmith

hi Sue,

yes, the Atoms are VERY efficient...perfect match for the AV-8s. 8 ohms.

What speakers are u using, and did you do the caps mod on the AV-8s/

15. Susan

Susan New Member

I'm using the AV 8's with vintage Tannoy Ardens..15" dual-concentrics...they are really sweet with the tubes. I have not done the upgrade yet, but will shortly. I wanted to use them for a few months first so I can really tell if there is a difference when I change them over. I can't recommend them highly enuf..such a great price!
    Susan

16. Susan

Susan New Member

PS. wasn't putting dwn the Paradigms either..I use the Paradigm Monitor series in my home theater setup....great speakers.

17. RetroSmith

Sue, the Av-8s at 8 watts can drive those Tannoys?? really? I'm shocked!!

18. Susan

Susan New Member

They're very eeficent horn-loaded tweeters...8-10 watts is more than enuf..we've measured them, and playing pretty loud we've never needed more than 6-8 watts...even with rock....but, our listening room isn't huge (13' x 15'). As long as you have high efficiency, the smaller tubies are fine.
    Susan

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I've driven my Tannoy Lancasters and Windsors with 300B amps before, so yes.

20. RetroSmith

Wow!! well, i'm sold. in a couple of weeks i'm putting together a stereo playback system using the AV-8s and the Atoms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.