How did Badfinger feel about being sidelined at the Bangladesh concert?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew J, Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was listening to the brilliant performance (below) by Pete Ham (a jam improvisation) from a similar time to the Concert for Bangladesh and was wondering if Bandfinger, or Mr Ham in particular, ever mentioned how they felt about being relegated to acoustic strummers at the Phil Spector / Harrison overseen event.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  2. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I think they were flattered if not overjoyed to be asked.

3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Pete Ham did an excellent job doubling George on acoustic on Here Comes The Sun. Considering he had not really played it before.

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Pete actually said flat out that playing HCTS with George was one of the biggest highlights of his career. And i agree with peteham...they must have felt honored to be asked. Had there been time to rehearse one of their songs into the night, I'm sure it would have been done. A Clapton tune or two wouldn't have been bad either.

longdist01, supermd, oboogie and 6 others like this.
  5. Andrew J

Yes, I read something similar after I posted this thread. Apparently one of Badfinger's songs was about performing Here Comes the Sun and Joe Molland's envy at not being chosen, or something similar.

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

marmalade and longdist01 like this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They might have stole the show for some.

There was simply too much talent on that stage for one night. No time for those recent newcomers.

marmalade and forthlin like this.
  8. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Sounds great. Where was this sourced from?

9. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

They weren't exactly sidelined, but asked to be the core of the 'house band' for all of the acts. I'm guessing they were pleased to be playing with so many big names. I have been always been disappointed they were never given a spot to perform one or two of their own songs, though.

The real tragedy of the event was the financial mismanagement of the funds raised.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  10. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

They weren't "sidelined". Its not like they were offered their own spot, showed up and then were told "never mind - just strum some acoustics instead". They did what they were originally asked to do. Sure Badfinger got screwed over in a multitude of ways throughout their career - but this was definitely not one of them.

As for why they didn't do their own song(s) in addition to backing up everybody else - well logistics seems a pretty likely reason, since they would have required that a drum kit be set up specifically for the left-handed Gibbins to play (for probably no more than a song or two). There were already two full (right handed) kits on that already overcrowded stage (played by Ringo and Keltner) so the options would have been:

1 - Ringo and/or Keltner plays for Badfinger (while Gibbins bangs a tambourine or sits out completely)
    2 - Gibbins plays a left handed kit set up backstage out of audience view
    3 - They stop in the middle of the show to swap around either Ringo's or Keltner's kit from right handed set-up to left-handed setup for Badfinger to play their song or two - and then stop the show again to switch the kit back from left-handed setup back to right-handed setup so that Ringo or Keltner can play the rest of the show. (BTW since the concert was being recorded for record and film release it would be a pretty long switchover since they'd also need to move the drum mikes around AND do a sound check on the re-setup kit TWICE - before and after Badfinger's one or two songs - so that would take at bare minimum about a half hour EACH! A half hour to physically swap the drums around from right to left handed - as well as the drum mikes and then soundcheck the kit, and then another half hour to undo everything they had just done after the song or two (5-10 minute) performance by Badfinger)
    4 - Gibbins tries to make due on a right-handed kit and most likely would have played very unprofessionally at best, and embarrassingly at worst.

11. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Thank you. Sometimes you have to spell it out for some. :tiphat:

PJayBe likes this.
  12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

They were clearly lined up tp do backup work; Yes, they should've done a song("no Matter What").

longdist01 likes this.
  13. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Although he is noted for playing tambourine and maracas during the concert, Gibbons had his own drum-kit set up. I don't know the details of who played what drum kit and why. However, it seems that Gibbins certainly played drums in the few rehearsals for the concert with Harrison.

See the last paragraph in the 'Evening Show' section' of this Wiki entry.
    The Concert for Bangladesh - Wikipedia

The post-concert party featured live performances from Harrison and Preston, after which a "roaring drunk"[105] Phil Spector played a "unique" version of "Da Doo Ron Ron".[118] The celebrations broke up in the early hours once Keith Moon of the Who began smashing up the drum kit, which actually belonged to Badfinger's Mike Gibbins.

marmalade and longdist01 like this.
  14. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

That says "post-concert party" that lasted until the "early hours" - neither of which implies much less indicates it took place on the concert stage of Madison Square Garden or even anywhere else in the building either.

I can't see them hanging around the venue playing all night - not even giving the roadies time to break down the equipment before the day staff came in in the morning to clean up and get the venue ready for whatever event was happening that day.

Plus being Mike Gibbins' drum kit doesn't necessarily mean it was set up for HIM to play, since drums aren't left or right handed - its their physical setup as a kit that is left or right handed.

Its also possible that being Keith Moon (likely drunk and/or stoned out of his mind) if it was set up left handed he probably freaked out - "what's with these drums? I can't play this kit!" and destruction ensues...

15. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I think you pretty much summed it up. :righton:

16. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

I’ve heard before (can’t remember where) that Badfinger had a place in the setlist but lost it when Dylan decided to show up.

MitchLT, longdist01 and belardd like this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I heard that Dylan was going to sing "Baby Blue" and "Come and Get It" ... ;)

longdist01, Calico and forthlin like this.
  18. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The rehearsals, with Badfinger participating, took place at Madison Square. Although, it's quite possible Gibbins' drum kit was moved or adjusted to right handed from left before the shows and then used by someone else. I just don't think that that [i.e. re-arranging the drum kit) as the reason for not featuring Badfinger rings true. BTW, Ringo who is left handed plays (mostly) right handed. So, it may have been a little awkward for Gibbons, but not impossible.

19. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

It was unsure that Dylan would appear that afternoon until he did. I've never heard that he 'bumped' Badfinger from the set list, though.

20. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Ever drive your car with your left foot for the gas/brake? Hammered a nail with your opposite/non-dominant hand? Tried to write with your non-dominant hand?

..and have you ever tried to do any of these things in a professional setting/manner - rather than just goofing around as a lark to see what its like?

Anyway - I said nothing about the rehearsals - I was responding to the quote from wikipedia you provided that said "post concert party" which almost definitely would not have occurred at the concert venue and even if it did it would certainly not have lasted all night.

Ringo plays MOSTLY right handed you say? When have you ever seen him play left handed? I never have! McCartney is also an exclusively right handed drummer (speaking of the Beatles...)

I know two people who are left handed and play guitar/bass right handed because that's how they were taught from the very beginning. I also know people (though they are quite old now) who were left handed but taught/forced to write right handed from the beginning when they started school because of some weird "being left handed is bad" nonsense back in the 40s/50s.

But tell them to try to write or play guitar left-handed now after several decades of doing those things exclusively right handed and see if they find it only "a little awkward".

21. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

In a medley with "It's All Over Now Baby Blue?" :shh:
    Guys in Badfinger: "We're a great band with some big hits, no way we're playing backup for someone else. Who are the headliners anyway???"
    "George Harrison/Bob Dylan/Eric Clapton/Leon Russell/ and Billy Preston."
    Guys in Badfinger: "Well...I guess we're not booked for that night..."

MitchLT likes this.
  22. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

They werent sidelined.
    Pete Ham was given a big spot with George.
    Also the lineup of stars was huge, and there was limited time for concert spots.
    If anyone was sidelined, it was Clapton.
    Imagine him doing “Layla” which was out at the time.
    Of course, health reasons precluded this.

longdist01 likes this.
  23. I don't know if they felt rejected or something, but in the end they probably were happy, since Pete played with George and, according to Tom in one of his last interviews, there was some tension in the air when Leon Russell insisted on playing bass with Dylan instead of Klaus Voormann, I think.

longdist01 likes this.
  24. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Yesterday I listened to an interview with Joey Molland where he was asked this question and he said they were all too humble to even consider asking to do one of their own numbers because they were in awe of just being on the same stage as Harrison, Starr, Clapton, Preston and Leon Russell.

25. Andrew J

I probably used the wrong word with 'sidelined', and didn't realise when I posted that Ham was on stage for one song. Good point about the fact that they were asked to do something and they agreed to do it.

Maybe the band felt honoured to be there at all, but I'd say in any case they were probably too humble for their own good. At least, going by the performance I posted at the head of the thread, there appears to be little difference between someone who never makes those greatest guitarists lists, and one who is always in the upper echelons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.