How Did You Become A Fan Of The Music You're Into?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarvius, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarvius

Jarvius Forum Resident Thread Starter

From the day I was born up until 2008, I was around Rap and R&B. I listened to it because I didn't have a big music range. I was young. I never heard Jimi Hendrix until I was 15 :( That's sad.

Then in December of 08', a man name Prince came in my life. I remember when I first saw the time length of "Purple Rain", I was like :eek: I never seen a song so long.

Then from Prince came Jimi, Joni etc... So I owe my music taste to Prince.

2. I owe a lot of my pop music taste to The Beach Boys, sometimes very indirectly.

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Mostly just listening to a lot of oldies radio growing up.

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

7th/8th grade Math/Reading teacher Mrs. Way. Turned me on to Classical music in a very big way.

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

My dad.

6. zen

zen Senior Member

My mom got me into Classical music/Big Band-Jazz/Andrews Sisters/Rock N Roll/Beatles...
    After that it was ALL research.

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I got a subscription to Rolling Stone and liked whatever they told me to like ;~)

8. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I can probably trace all of the music in my CD cabinet back to the Monkees albums that we're in my house as I was growing up.

9. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

My older brother got me into a lot of the hard rock that I love( Zeppelin , acdc, Sabbath, the doors etc.)

10. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

NME and John Peel.

11. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I grew up at a great time in the 60's when radio played a variety of music. Also, there were a number of music programs and variety shows that had a wide variety of musical acts (Shindig, Hullabaloo, Ed Sullivan, the Smothers Brothers, Johnny Cash) that really exposed me to such a wide range of music!

It's very cool how an artist can turn you on to others. I'd have to cite Linda Ronstadt as my biggest musical influence in that way. Because of her, I got turned on to so many artists that crossed paths with her: Bonnie Raitt, Wendy Waldman, Maria Muldaur, Tracey Nelson, Kate & Anna McGarrigle, Karla Bonoff, Warren Zevon, Jackson Browne, Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton, Gram Parsons, JD Souther, and countless others!

12. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

By my big hate for hippies I found, more than 30 years ago, punk. From that to post-punk, its originators and then to almost all musical genres.:cool:

13. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Beatles Sullivan show and Cartoon Beatles on ABC TV. I was hooked at age 4 and 5. Everything just snowballed for the next 48 years. I still watch a lot of Cartoons.

14. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Same here. People forget that AM radio in the early to mid sixties was a melting pot of so many different styles of music, all boiled down into bite sized chunks of 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Then FM came along and, at least at first, took that approach of "play it all" and ran with it. And in addition to the programs you listed, there were tons of local music shows (I remember Clay Cole and Lloyd Thaxton) that featured all the 2nd and 3rd rung acts that didn't make the other shows. And of course, the fabled "Where The Action Is" featuring Paul Revere and The Raiders. That, and my dad's love of Sinatra, show tunes and Judy Garland all gave me a musical education that has managed to keep me on the verge of financial insolvency for most of my life. Wouldn't have it any other way.

15. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

My older brother once came home with some singles and a record player. For him it was only a temporary hobby. But for me it opened a world that became essential for my life until today.

16. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

My dad for the jazz influence.

The "Classic Rock" format for sparking my interest in music from 1965-1976.

Michael Bolton, for turning me on to Otis Redding! :laugh:

17. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Ralph, It's funny you mention Sinatra and Garland, because when I was growing up, all of those singers were everywhere: in addition to Frank and Judy, also Peggy Lee, Ella Fitzgerald, Nancy Wilson, Carmen McRae, Mel Torme, etc., and I just thought they were too "square" for me -- now I love so many of them, and would love to see some of those performances!

18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

For me, it all started with Elvis Presley and naturally grew from there.

19. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

My older brother brought home all the records that influenced me in my formative years. To this day, many of those artists form the core of my collection. A little later, hanging out in record shops all summer long was like going to school... back when vinyl was still king, and 8 tracks lined all the walls. Wish I could go back for visit. Don't you?

20. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I guess you have to develop your own musical vocabulary before you can get a handle on what your parents were into. I'm glad my father was a music fan, it started me listening at a very young age.

21. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Well I have always loved and been into music and always liked the Beatles, and Rolling Stones the most but I really became a huge fan because of my exfiance' after being together for years we shared the love of music and liked the same kind. He brought me more into the Beatles, Bob Dylan who is my all time favorite, Rolling Stones but so many more bands, songs and music. It was the best part of our relationship so I have to give him credit for making me a more educated fan and making it the biggest thing in my daily life no matter what I do love my music... Cool!:righton:

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Heard it. Liked it.

Don't know how I got into Beach Boys. Had Endless Summer LP by age of three. It was destiny. They've been with me ever since.

My siblings are much older than me. My brother 20 years. I raided his record stash of Beatle records early on. He didn't have anything after Pepper, though. And no Revolver.

MTV exposed me to things in early 80's. First Billy Joel and music of the day (Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, Fat Boys). Then I saw Kiss' "I Love It Loud" video. Leather clad superheroes in makeup. What more could a 6 year old ask for? Too bad they took off the makeup soon thereafter, but I spent my $10 allowance each weekend buying a record from their back catalog.

Then Monkee reruns and Beatle cartoons (though I already knew the Beatles, but this sorta reinforced it and pushed me further and into the not-always-user-friendly solo territory). Monkees interest last about a year, then I hid them under my pillow for about 10 years or so.

Local college radio exposed me to thrash metal mid-80's. MASTER! MASTER! This would carry me through high school.

Heard a lot of things I hadn't heard before in "20 Years Ago Today" PBS documentary I 1987. Saw it and immediately bought Pink Floyd Relics (for "Interstellar Overdrive") and Stones "Thru The Past Darkly" (for "2000 Light Years From Home"). Obviously already heard of Floyd and Stones (saw "Lets Spend The Night Together" on the HBO early 80's), but these were songs I had not heard from radio/TV previously.

Saw a clip of Peter Gabriel in flower mask on some MTV Rocumentary mid-80's. Had no idea that there was more to Genesis than Miami Vice and Michelob commercials. Went down to store to look for such a song. Didn't know title, but eventually located "Supper's Ready". Love the Gabriel-era Genesis stuff dearly.

Knew Bowie from the "Lets Dance" stuff on MTV. But I didn't buy it or Tonight when it came out. Before the Ryko reissues I only had cassette tapes of Ziggy Motion Picture and Heroes (and boy, was that an interesting record for an unsuspecting listener). Went crazy for Tin Machine when I saw 10 minute promo vid on MTV. Borrowed sister-in-law's copy of "Diamond Dogs" and copied it to cassette. Then came Ryko and my education was complete.

Saw "Rockin' In The Free World" video on MTV in '89. I was like, "Where has Neil Young been all my life?!?". Bought Freedom, then Life from Caldor cheap bin for $4.99. Worked my way backwards.

Troubled girl from high school made me mix tape of "The Doors". My friends were more into them than I. But she gave me deeper cuts I hadn't heard, like "The Soft Parade" and "Running Blues". I got hooked.

Saw "Elvis On Tour" on WPYX NY and was moved by "Memories" over closing credits. Was a slow and gradual seduction on the part of The King. I inched my way into his jacuzzi a little at a time but eventually slipped and got in over my head.

Knew Dion from oldies station but the doo wop stuff didn't really mean anything to me. But in the midst of this there was a different sort of song, "Abraham Martin & John". I liked this one. When album was released on CD by "The Right Stuff" in 1993 I picked it up on a hunch and wham-o...became one of my top 5 favorites. Spent the years since exploring and defending this man's under-appreciated back catalog.

23. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

This kind of thread often crops up and always ends up in an essay-length post from me, but I'll try and buck the trend. Being born in 1976, here's the timeline for the key things/people that influenced and shaped my musical tastes:

Mid-80s-mid-90s: Classical music through my parents and (music) school), jazz through my Dad and later Penguin jazz guide, older rock music and jazz fusion from my brother
    Mid 90s-present: classical music from university, reading books, magazines, newspapers, listening to BBC Radio 3, Steve Hoffman forums (mainly for best recordings); some jazz from attending two summer courses, although my interest waned considerably once I got more deeply into classical
    Early 00s-2009: rock/pop music from the Internet (review sites like warr.org, George Starostin, Amazon), buying albums based on hit songs I liked (a gamble which didn't always pay off), occasional recommendations from brother/friends based on the kind of music I like best (Nick Drake, Jeff Buckley, Love, Fleet Foxes etc) - again mostly older rock, with a smattering of 80s and 90s stuff
    2009-present: Rock and many other forms of popular music (hip hop, electronica, trip hop) and a complete renewal of interest in jazz thanks to rateyourmusic.com - Steve Hoffman has also helped me discover some great stuff, although mostly based on music/artists I already know.

And of course, liking one artist can lead to discoveries and becoming fans of many related ones - eg after hearing and being bowled over by the Return to Forever Live LP when I was 17 this made me become a major Chick Corea obsessive and I own at least 25 of his records.

I can't remember much else though, as it's basically a blur - you get to know music you like on the radio, being played at a store, club or at someone's house, someone has recommended it or given it a glowing review, the same for the next piece of music, and so on ad infinitum. You know the drill! :)

24. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

The Beatles on Ed Sullivan is Ground Zero for me as well as the 60's radio and television noted above. Exploring record shops > Rolling Stone Magazine (back when it was a newsprint rag) > on-campus shows and clubs at college > the club scene in NYC when I arrived in 1976 > Creem/Musician/NYRocker and other magazines > becoming a deejay and embracing music that fills the floor... it's been a long journey.

25. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

I would say my dad, really.

I don't listen to his bubblegum music but ... I learned about the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and the Who through him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.