How do I download directly (from online source) onto my EXTERNAL hard drive?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gang Twanger, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member Thread Starter

I have a Dell pentium 4 with Windows XP, plus a Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB external hard drive, and I have the uTorrent program set-up for online bit-torrent downloading, but at the moment, it's downloading directly onto my PC's internal drive. Is it possible to route things so that incoming files from uTorrent and anywhere else on line are downloaded directly onto the external hard drive? Can you also set it up so that ONLY the uTorrent files download directly onto the external drive (but everything else goes to the PC's internal drive)?
    I'd like to at least be able to route the uTorrent stuff onto the ext. drive so I can take most of the strain off of the internal drive. But if I can send everything to the external, that might be even better for me. Not sure yet. Still, I wanted to find out what my options are. I've tried to figure this out on my own, but I'm still trying to solve much simpler problems.

Thanks in advance.

2. quarzo

quarzo New Member

You can set uTorrent at Options>Preferences>Directories or right click on a particular torrent Advanced>Set download location (the torrent has to be stopped)

3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

For non-torrent, if you use Firefox, under Tools, options, MAIN, you can specify where to save any downloads that happen via the browser. There may be a way to do this in IE, but I haven't found it.

4. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i have folders on various drives. on firefox, when prompted, i choose where i want to go.

5. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Correcto Mundo.

6. quarzo

quarzo New Member

Aye :D

7. Gang Twanger

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I'm rollin' straight-USB. No eSATA or Firewire. I'm a novice when it comes to computers, so I'm still getting to know the various tools and options. I'm still trying to figure out how to set-up Foobar 2000 as my default audio player, but when I go to change the default settings, it lists things like Winamp, Windows Media Player, and Itunes, and Foobar is not on the list (and I can't figure out how to add it to the list - "Add/Remove Programs" won't let me do it). Plenty of things like this that I can't seem to get straightened out. It's dangerous to learn through "trial and error" when you're dealing with computers. That's one of the reasons that I ask so many questions.

8. quarzo

quarzo New Member

Trial and error it's the only way, you can read the thickest manuals, but what you learn after formatting, burning, etc your computer its what you won't ever forget. :righton:

If you want to set up foobar2000 as the player for flac, ape, or even cue files:

-Open foobar2000
    -Go to file
    -Preferences
    -Then click on "file types", wich is on the left
    -Then select the extensions of the files you want to associate (like flac, ape, cue, wav, you can select all the ones you want and deselect the ones you want to avoid foobar2000 to open)

9. Gang Twanger

Awesome! Thanks. I installed Winamp last year and set it up as my default media player (for audio AND video), and it seemed okay for a while, but lately it's been freezing up and doing all kinds of strange things. I already had Foobar set up to play APE files (with the Monkey Decoder installed), plus I was looking to scale-down the size of my media player, and Foobar's a pretty simple and efficient-looking program (not too-many bells and whistles to slow it down). It's just that I couldn't get my computer to dump Winamp as the default player (and I've had nothing but problems with it as of late - mixed-up tracklists, freezing-up, etc.), and Foobar seems like a simple, meat-and-potatoes player that's able to read all of the different audio formats that I use. I'm trying to get my computer running more-efficiently.

I threw that out as a side question hoping I'd get lucky. Thanks for the help.

10. quarzo

quarzo New Member

Be careful with this if you're using Winamp and you have any problems. Be sure to uncheck it. Otherwise every time you start Winamp it will recover its extentions

[​IMG]

11. Canudigit

Canudigit New Member

Try this for Internet Explorer- Left click "Tools" top left corner, go to "view downloads", on bottom left you will see "options", open and change your default to your external hard drive or wherever you want to send them...

12. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

You answered a question from like 5 years ago bruh.

Rolltide likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.