How do I find out what a rare piece of vinyl is worth on the used market...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Judge Judy, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

To be clear, this was also sold as an add-on item with the box set and didn’t necessarily come from inside of a box. Mine came loose packed outside of the box. Some boxes had them inside and some didn’t.

2. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

There's been plenty of things I don't find on Discogs. I work at a record store. Granted, most are Classical titles, every so often there's a pop album I can't identify. I guess it's up to me then to put it up but I don't have that kind of time (dollar bin it goes).

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

A lot of people start out this way, holding up one thing on their pile, and asking, "how much is this worth". It's not being a jerk, just somewhat naive. Record re-selling is definitely a commodity-driven business, fluctuating by the winds of taste. So no, it's not easy. You're probably a bit too leery of being afraid someody who puts a lot of effort into learning this skill, might actually benefit from his own learning...and get a deal from you. He's probably gotten hosed 5 times this morning before breakfast, and decides to go on based on the amount of situations where it has paid off for him.

But rest assured, there are just as many record re-sellers out there trying to not get ripped-off themselves, as there are those trying to gain an advantage of somebody else.

I don't reccomend anybody who is unfamiliar with the marketplace, the values of items, or the artifically-conflated values of items, jump into such a project whole-hearted, and learn along the way. Getting a stack of somebody's so-called "treasures" dumped into your lap just as, for instance, you are recovering from the loss of said "somebody", is the worst time to suddenly discover you need a new skillset. Worst still, to not discover this, as the rest of your day-to-day agenda gets sidelined.

But services such as eBay and Discogs have done good work giving the untutored re-seller, at least a fighting chance, and with little overhead for ones' efforts. Listen to these people here.

6. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I totally cop to being naive about this. I last sold a piece of vinyl sometime in the late 1980s, and I only bought and sold CDs from then on. The used CD customer is a completely different animal from the used vinyl customer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.