How do I use the same speakers for my NAD Master Series M3 and Yamaha RX-V479

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Larry Naramore, Nov 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead Thread Starter

I did an internet search and somebody mentioned a disconnect switch. Your help is as always appreciated.

2. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Niles speaker selector switch boxes (or whatever they use in the audio shops)?? As a rule, I do not practice this. I prefer nothing to be in between the amp and speakers except a length of speaker cable.

3. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Adcom makes a speaker selector that has better sound quality than Niles, but I still wouldn't dream of using one.

4. Larry Naramore

Thanks, guys after thought I decided that for the amount of DVD watching and 5.1 music I listen to it only takes 2 seconds to switch banana plugs.

Linger63, bluemooze and The Pinhead like this.
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Same here; I switch between 2 amps ( a receiver for music and an amp for DVD watching). Both are connected to the same floorstanders and sub via cables with banana plugs). Switching cables is a 30' matter. I don't trust switch boxes.

6. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

Any special reason why you are set up this way?

Wouldn't one of your amps just simply sound better whether it's running music or a DVD?

Wouldn't you just use the best one for everything..........especially considering you are only running one set of speakers?

For example............I see that your Pioneer offers pre out/power ins if you wanted to run the Technics through it.

Not trying to be smart........just wondering. :)

Cheers

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Good question actually. First of all I had these amps on separate systems in the bigger house where I lived before, so I felt why not keep both alive and in use instead of just storing one of them away or selling it when I love them both alike ? (the other 2 pairs of speakers were ebayed to great result -good dough)

Secondly, while one is a little warmer and more powerful, I use it for cd and vinyl listening, the other is more forward sounding and aggressive, which I found more suitable for my live dvds. Plus, having a spare amp is not exactly a bad thing if you know what I mean.

Hope it made sense to you;)

Linger63 likes this.
  8. racer59

racer59 Forum Resident

I do the same thing. It doesn't take long, though at times it gets annoying. But I'd still prefer to keep these things separate. I use a Denon AVR for regular TV watching and a Primaluna Integrated for 2 channel.

The Pinhead likes this.
  9. Larry Naramore

Finally fixed my problem. A lot easier to switch the cables with this setup. I'm sure some will talk about a degradation of sound but my 69-year-old ears are quite pleased.

[​IMG]

decontrol2 likes this.
  10. Larry Naramore

I am sure it changed the sound. I remember changing to the bell tower speaker wire from # 10 copper. I liked the sound of the bell tower wire better ( leftover wire I had from when we installed a carillon system in our church.)

11. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

What is it?

12. Larry Naramore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.