How do you clean 45's?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SteveSDCA, Apr 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

I take my 33 1/3's to the trusty stereo store where they have a great cleaning machine. But it can't clean 45's because there's no adapter and basically it's only made for LP's. Is there any good way to get the dust etc off the 45's?

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I use the cleaning brush and liquid method

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I just get my guitar polishing cloth and give the record a circular spin. Seems to work for me. What I don't get out the stylus will.

4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hmmmmmmm - "What I don't get out the stylus will" sounds curiously like the slogan for Pluto Water from French Lick, Indiana - "What nature won't, Pluto will".... :D

5. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

I use the VPI 16.5 with a 45 vacuum tube and the Disc Doctor 45 brushes. This is a rather expensive setup but well worth the investment. It can't fix scratches or scuffs but the difference between a uncleaned and cleaned record is evident to even my less audio critical better half.
    While I think the VPI is one of the best investments I ever made, you might get pretty good results with just the Disc Doctor fluid and brushes. Just make sure to rinse the record thoroughly after cleaning.

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

VPI 16.5 with Disc Doctor brushes. I don't play records without it.

7. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

I use liquid hand soap and water with a buff puff. Rinsed carefully with water and dried with paper towels. Works great on LPs too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.