How do you clean a stylus safely?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ghost rider, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was told that I need to seriously clean my stylus. I have used magic eraser but the image suggests that doesn’t get it. I could see dropping it into something like an old contact lens (if I had one) filed with a solution. Outside of that I’m open to ideas.
    [​IMG]
    photo uploading

2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I’ve gone a few different ways. I don’t know that one way is best. I have heard that different styli are attached in different ways. I keep all my brushes, and the short tight ones work best for me. ME seems OK. No damage I've experienced, but it doesn't always do the job. LAST products are OK, but I've always felt like the brushes were not effective. Right now I'm using MoFi LP–9 and I like it best of anything. It has a great brush. It says it is a lubricant, so I'm keeping an eye on things.

The picture looks like dust, not necessarily a dirty tip. The diamond is very hard to see.

AmericanHIFI and ghost rider like this.
  3. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm sure it's just dust. My records are very clean!!! Thanks for the tip on the MoFiLP-9 I'm going to get some.

jupiterboy likes this.
  4. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

5. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I've contemplated getting an ultrasonic stylus cleaner; seems like the ultimate in effectiveness and safety. So far, I've been using an Onzow Zerodust device, so I don't have to use a brush, liquids, or subject the stylus to any kind of applied force. Just drop the needle on it and lift it off using your gently descending tonearm lift mechanism. In my experience this gets it reliably clean without fuss.
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Onzow-Zerodust

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    sound chaser and Rolltide like this.
  6. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Zerodust here also, and my styli look very clean.

7. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

The Zerodust works and is very easy to use. Save yourself a lot of money by purchasing it in Ebay from Japanese Sellers for around $30 as opposed to $79 from U.S. retailers.

8. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Magic eraser & a jewellers magnifying glass to check before & after.

9. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Another vote for Zerodust here.:cool:

WapatoWolf and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  10. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I use the Zerodust as well however sometimes I get a lint build up whixh the Zerodust struggles to remove.
    I have recently bought a Pro-ject Clean It brush for these instances

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  11. I use the Zerodust and Oracle brush. Liquid NEVER touches my stylus.

12. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I use my brush, but dont clean it very often.
    Never tried the magic eraser...is that wet or dry?

13. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

OK, agree about the product but seriously, buy from ebay not needledoctor. It's the same product and half the cost. $33 from Japan including shipping compared to $68 from Needledoctor. Talk about price gouging. Only thing worse was MD charging $26 for VPI Magic Lube and it's the same as a 35 cent unbranded tube of the same material.

MonkeyLizard and ghost rider like this.
  14. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

make sure its DRY

sean

15. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I have 2 brushes 1 with slightly course hair (1) and the benz brush with soft hair (2). Both were brushes from cartridges.
    Brush (1) back to front then ME up/down then Brush (2) to get any ME off the stylus, check with magni glass once in a while. I clean the stylus after each side even though my records are very clean. The Stylus looks new when under magni glass. I stopped using fluids once I started with the ME and it took a few weeks with the ME to get the Stylus looking new again. But be very careful don`t snag your stylus on the ME. Once the ME took off all the previous fluids the Stylus sounded better than new. Before the ME the right channel was just a bit lower in volume than the left with more surface noise as well.

sean

Kubricker likes this.
  16. Mikay

Mikay Active Member

Magic Eraser. I cut about a 1" rectangular block off of a 'stock' Magic Eraser and lay that on edge next to the platter. Then I bring the arm over and, using the cue lever, lower and raise the stylus in and out of the Eraser's 'pile' or whatever you want to call it, about 5-6 times, return the arm to the rest and put the eraser chunk away til' next time.

17. Despite all of the positive things said about the ME, to me it's an accident waiting to happen. I'll take the safer route with the Zerodust.

18. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

How is ZeroDust on microline or Shibata? I have an eliptical now, and I find it much easier to keep clean.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Zero dust here as well. I don't know if I would be too worried about the price, as it seems to last forever - has anyone ever felt the need to replace it with a new one?

20. Works like "magic" (haha) on my Ortofon 2M Black, which has a Shibata stylus.

21. See above...forgot to quote your post.

22. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I moved on from the ME to the Zerodust. I think the ME can be good, but if one goes that route they should replace their little strip of ME pretty often. I often felt the needle was dirtier after dipping in the ME if I'd been using it for longer then a couple weeks.

The Pinhead likes this.
  23. Not so far. I've had mine for about 4 years.

24. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

How do you clean it? Do you just rinse it off and let it dry, somehow remove the thing from the box and then do it, or ?

I guess even though it's intended to be cleaned it feels like it's going to "lose its sticky" if I wash it.

25. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

started using the onzow zerodust. great product. less worry when cleaning (and also faster!) when cleaning my stylus

It's like a soft clear rubber. You can wash it off with water and pat it dry. it falls right off the plastic case if you flip it upside down.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.