How do you clean a stylus safely?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ghost rider, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am a Magic Eraser fan and used them exclusively for some time. I still think they work great, especially for the price. After buying a Zero Dust and using it for a while, I do prefer it to the ME. I have no real scientific reason for my preference, but the Zero Dust just "feels better" to me. I think either one does a great job.

2. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

The venerable Peter Lederman recommends dropping the stylus into blue-tack flattened to the thickness of a dime.

3. gss

gss Forum Resident

Has anyone here used both Moon Gel and Zerodust? Can someone confirm that they are the same, not just kinda, like each other?

Same results?

4. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

I haven't purchased Zerodust and can't compare them directly but I honestly can't see there being any difference whatsoever.

5. modern primitive

modern primitive New Member

I use a jewelers' loupe to examine and a standard dry Magic Eraser and gently clean a stylus. The ME does a great job and has never caused a problem. One must, of course, be gentle. You don't use a wiping motion like you would with a brush, rather you gently lower the stylus into the pad. Works great for day-to-day cleaning but won't clean encrusted grime that may accumulate from playing a filthy record. For that I have a good stylus brush and fluid. I use a tiny amount of distilled water, which usually does the job, or a drop of old formula discwasher fluid. I still have about 12 ounces of the stuff which will likely last many years at the rate it's being used.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Sailfree likes this.
  6. Ozoid

Ozoid Member

In the process of reviving my Linn & ARC SP-6C, I discovered a box holding a battery-operated D&K "Electro Stylus Cleaner," c. 1980. Seems to be an ultrasonic device or something like that. Place it on the 'table's mat — there's a slot so it fits around the spindle — and gently place the stylus on this vibrating pad. As I remember, it worked and didn't stress the cantilever.

Anybody have one or remember it?

7. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

+1
    [​IMG]

Sailfree likes this.
  8. Just a note to anyone who will be trying the Magic Eraser for the first time----Be sure to use the "ORIGINAL" Magic Eraser as posted by Dr. Metal MD above. There are some new varieties of Magic Erasers that have a cleaning agents in them and are reported to leave residue on the stylus. The plain old original Magic Eraser is the one you want to use.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  9. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Been using this for a few years now and my stylus has never looked better>and its faster/easier than liquid treatments.

sean

H8SLKC and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  10. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

I've just managed to get hold of a very reasonably priced AT-637 ultrasonic stylus cleaner, and you can actually see the gunk that has been 'shaken' off the stylus. 'That must make a difference to SQ' was a question that was answered pretty quickly when I played the first record, post-ultrasonic!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

A
    Are you still happy with the moongel?

12. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Curious for those who only use the Onzow Zerodust. Is this the only thing you use to clean your stylus or do you also use a liquid cleaner also?

I suspect I am damaging my styli and am concerned perhaps its the liquid LP #9 brush from MOFI (I openly admit I could be doing something wrong that is causing the problem.

I am also using the Zerodust.

13. bootbox

bootbox Forum Resident

I run an Audio-Technica AT-160ML and aside from removing the random odd giant dust bunny with a Shure stylus brush, I only use the Zerodust. It works incredibly well and I don't worry the way I used to with liquids. Get one and don't look back.

honestabe316 likes this.
  14. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

All records are cleaned after purchase and put in Mofi sleeves. I use a little AT stylus brush after every play and my Zerodust every now and then. Seems to do the trick

15. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Magic eraser all the way. Dirt cheap, lasts forever, keeps the stylus in great shape. If the user damages the stylus/cantilever using a magic eraser, the user is doing something VERY wrong indeed.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I use the same, but I have been considering a zerodust for some time now.

17. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Bingo! This is my problem. i'm pretty sure I've damaged 3 styli (styluses?) in a little over a year of vinyl fever. I'm doing something VERY wrong!

I'm getting less and less excited about shelling out $300 for a new Bronze cartridge. So i'm trying to figure out the fail point in my process. I feel like once I started using the liquid cleaner is when I started having problems. That is the LP #9 Mofi cleaner with the stiff brush it comes with. I'm doing my best to use as directed and maybe that isn't the cause of the damage. So I was wondering if the Zerodust is enough stylus maintenance or is it necessary to also use the liquid cleaner.

H8SLKC likes this.
  18. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

One or two even back to front swipes with a soft stylus brush after every album has always worked for me. I bought the Zerodust last year and used it a few times, and never gotten anything from the stylus. I've been doing this since my father taught me in the 70's and never ruined a stylus. Now I'm doing some serious knocks on wood lol

19. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

I use a Zerodust also.... no muss, no fuss.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  20. harby

harby Forum Resident

Another thing one may do with a magic eraser is turn a chunk into a stylus brush. Use scissors to cut a wedge from one of the sides that tapers down to the size of a toothpick, and then you can use this fuzzy sliver to tickle the stylus tip from all sides where it is glued to the cantilever. Much easier to do safely after removing the headshell from the tonearm or stylus from the cartridge.

superstar19 likes this.
  21. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

So, possibly a stupid question, but are the old Discwasher stylus brushes and stylus fluid frowned upon?

22. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

Onzow Zerodust! Definitely see the gunk it pulls off.

23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I use blu tac now, as advised by Soundsmith. Just make sure you replace it every now and then...

Why spend more on anything else?

24. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

So are the old Discwasher stylus brushes and stylus fluid OK, or do folks avoid this method?

25. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Very fine grade cattounge paper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.