How do you effectively reduce static?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jomay, Dec 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomay

Jomay Forum Resident Thread Starter

I use a cork platter mat and a carbon brush, yet much static builds up even playing one side of one record. The mat is often hard to separate from the vinyl. A felt mat was worse. What are some tips for keeping static at a minimum?

2. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Water. Just keep a perfume spritzer type bottle of purified water next to your table. Spritz the brush lightly before using with a fine spray. The water gives the static a path to dissipate as it vaporizes. That's why wet cleaning your records can remove the static charge.

DoF likes this.
  3. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

I zap with a Milty Zero Stat and use a carbon fiber brush before playing and have no problems with static whatsoever. Oh, I also have a cork mat on my TT.

4. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I suggest a rubber mat for better static dissipation. The suggestion tyinkc to mist the carbon brush is a good one, just slightly damp. The brush should leave no more than a slight wisp of moisture on the record which evaporates by approx 1/4 revolution of the record. More than that will be too much moisture and the risk of making the record noisy. I recommend washing and drying the carbon fiber brush after doing several records. A dirty brush just cross-contaminates to another record. (we assume the dust adheres to the brush... no! not all of it does)

If you invest in a record cleaning machine, or a spin clean, and store the cleaned vinyl in a static free inner, plus use a rubber mat (not cork) your static problem will be gone.

5. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Furutech Destat2- works great.

6. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Acrylic Platter. Air dry your records, don't dry them with a cloth anything. Solved the problem for me. The solution from my spin clean added a bit of surface noise, which went away the 2nd time through an LP. So I use only distilled water now.

7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Nothing is going to keep a record surface or platter surface from ever occasionally picking up a static charge, it can always become charged again from friction going in an out of a sleeve or whatever. Wet cleaning, room humidity, changing inner sleeves, different platter mats, all can help reduce the occasions of a record becoming charged, but they can't prevent it from ever possibly happening again. But the Milty, used properly (or, if you want to invest, a benchtop ionizer), is great at eliminating charges when they do occur.

8. strymeow

strymeow Forum Resident

Diskeeper sleeves work magic for me. New albums will arrive with crazy amounts of static, but after storing in the Diskeeper for a day or so they'll be static-free.

P2CH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.