How do you guys rotate your music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ant G, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ant G

Ant G Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently became more involved with my music gear, and signed up for this site today. I have been a long time user of these forums. I started putting together a decent (I think!) set up using vintage equipment.

Since becoming serious I've found that many of the users here mentioning their "album rotations". That made me super curious of how you guys rotate your music. I'm 27 years old, but 90% of what I listen to was made before 1980. I am a huge classic rock/metal/prog, jazz, classical, and blues fan. The downside of liking all these genres is I go through "phases" of listening to different artists, which isn't terrible but it gets a little haphazard.

For example, one night I'll listen to T. Monk and get super into him, listen to a few albums, but then I'll feel like listening to Beethoven's 7th and then a little Jethro Tull. Then the next week I'll binge on prog and then Billy Joel or Black Sabbath. It's a bunch of randomness, and the problem is that I feel like I am not appreciating this good music as much as I could be!

Before I make this too long I'll pop the question: what is your method to your rotation? How do you listen to music to increase your appreciation without it getting old?

I put together this setup for approx $150 as a newbie
    Adcom GTK-500 Preamp
    Mcintosh 2100 Tube Amp
    Technics DD Turntable with Pickering XV-15 Cart
    Klipsch KG-2
    Sony 5 Disc CD Player

Robert C, alexpop, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Welcome to the forum.

You got all that equipment together for $150? Is that what it cost to have someone steal it for you?

As far as music rotation goes, I generally just read the "listing to" threads on this forum and go home with a list I want to put on as a result.

My rotation is also influenced by whether or not I'm drinking bourbon.

Robert C, papatwo, Hattipper and 5 others like this.
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I have no answer to your question, unless "I just listen to whatever strikes my fancy" answers it. But I'm curious how you were able to put together a system like that for only $150?

ARK, fluffskul and Vinyl Addict like this.
  4. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Welcome to the forum and the audio habit (crap...I mean hobby)! You have done exactly what I believe most newbies should do. Assemble a decent system on-the-cheap and head to the used CD bins to build their libraries (LPs okay, too...just not my medium of choice). You have done a bang-up job if all that costs only $150 :righton:

Back to your original question...I like to rotate each CD out of the collection after a good listening session or two. I simply place it on another level of the shelf. I keep doing this until all albums are enjoyed. Then I simply start over. This forces me to use every album in my collection. If I get down to the last few and they don't excite me...then I consider letting them go. Think if it as a iTunes playlist for "play count = 0". I only have abut 420 discs so this is easy for me to do. Ideally, I want to listen to each album at least once a year.

Goo luck and remember to enjoy the music first and not get so caught-up in the hardware!

Ant G likes this.
  5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Forget your system, not important, music is pure emotion moving from one genre to another is based on how you feel.

papatwo, Slick Willie, ARK and 5 others like this.
  6. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

This year I've made much more of an effort to give new CDs a "fair hearing" rather than 1 play and move on to the next if it doesn't immediately grab me.

I've done this mainly by just having a particular playlist that I put new acquisitions in to, and it stays in there until it's had several plays at least, then I remove it if it's not grabbing me, or leave it in there if I'm enjoying it, in which case it might stay several weeks and get a really good run out.

Newer (to me) stuff goes up near the top of the playlist, and the more familiar stuff near the end, so I'm likely to go to the newer stuff more often.

I don't have any rules about genres, I throw it all in, so at the moment the playlist, from top (newest) to bottom (most played) has got among other things-

The Strypes
    Level 42
    The Monkees
    Dave Brubeck
    Foo Fighters
    Oscar Peterson Trio
    Captain Beefheart
    U2
    Duke Ellington
    Louvin Brothers
    Bob Marley
    Noel Gallagher

It keeps you on your toes listening to that mixture!

Ant G and Dennis0675 like this.
  7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Personally, I know of no other way. Music is for pleasure; if you start making it a "program" or "regimen," it becomes just another job.

Zeki, Geordie777, ARK and 9 others like this.
  8. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

For the most part, I listen to my music through my digital audio player (a Sony Walkman NWZ-A17) and use the following methods to rotate my music when listening to it on my player:
    • Shuffle within various other criteria (such as genre, artist, year and playlists).
    • SenseMe Channels: My player places the music on my player into the channels based on musical similarity (such as Lounge, Energetic, Relax, Upbeat, Mellow, Emotional).
    The above methods prevent me from getting bored with my music and also allow me to find some gems I hadn't yet discovered.

9. chodad

chodad Hodad

Whatever tickles my fancy in the moment. Mostly pure randomness. If I buy new music I'll play it 2 or 3 times, put it away and then listen to it again in about 2 weeks to see if my opinion (good or bad) has changed.

10. Ant G

Thanks for the speedy replies! I am looking forward to delving deeper into what you guys wrote about rotating albums.

So here's what I did to acquire my set up. The KG-2's and Mac Amp were given to me by my dad. Found them collecting dust in the garage and he wouldn't take any cash (i'll buy him a fancy dinner with all he can drink Macallan soon). The Adcom preamp was found on eBay for $70. The Technics TT was sold to me by an old friend of mine, hes 78 and a ham radio guy and fixed it up for me nicely for $100.

Okay so I spent a little more than $150, but still not bad for enjoying all my CDs and records!

Johnny Reb, OobuJoobu and Dennis0675 like this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I find entering my collection into Discogs to be very helpful. I mostly listen to LP's and the small printing on the spines doesn't always inspire me to pull it off the shelf. Being able to brows the album artwork on the computer and them pulling it of the shelf helps to keep me from forgetting what I have shelved.

12. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

I may buy 10 or more CDs in a given week, so I keep my "new arrivals" separate from the rest of my collection until I have a chance to play them at least once. After that they generally get filed away until I want to here them again.

13. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Oh so the truth comes out...more than $150! :D Anyway, great acquisitions regardless.

ARK, dennis the menace and Ant G like this.
  14. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Before 1980? That's a shame, that was the greatest year of all time for hard rock music.

The number of different bands and Rock genres I have listened to grew exponentially around early 2013. Nowadays, I find myself playing certain bands I once played daily, maybe every two weeks. I vary it as much as possible, and that's what happens and I don't even notice until I'm actually playing those bands I used to constantly rotate.

Ant G likes this.
  15. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Just do.

ARK and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

yep, the never ending play pile of new arrivals keeps me from have to think very long about what to listen to.

Kristofa likes this.
  17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

18. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I just put my music in the cd player, it rotates all by itself. :p

Seriously though, I just play whatever I'm in the mood for.

ARK and Ant G like this.
  19. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Not at the magical 33 and a third though.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  20. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

My approach only works with a purely digital music collection, but I offer it with obvious caveats.

I define the following playlists:
    -last listen was greater than one year ago
    -less than two total listens (useful for auditioning new content)
    -24 random selections that aren't Christmas music

These get summed into my !Play Now playlist.

This ensures that I listen to every song in my library at least once per year.

21. Ant G

Great point! Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath is one of my favorite albums, I am also a huge Iron Maiden and Judas Priest fan. Also a fan of what Yes, Rush and Genesis did in the 80's and beyond. I guess my point was that I listen to a lot of older music :)

ARK and DiabloG like this.
  22. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

That's not necessarily a shame...it is "focus". That was another piece of advice I heard from a wise collector...give your collection some focus to make it special.

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I just play what I play when I play it. :)

24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Absolutely no structure to my music rotation, and that's the way I like it.

25. soumac

soumac Forum Resident

New music is cleaned and played as it comes in, which usually inspires additional albums based on either the artist, genre, time period etc. If you've bothered to put your collection into Discogs, they have a "Random" button which allows you to display a random selection from your library.... I still try to listen to a full album, if not that, at least one complete side....

luckyno13 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.